• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Mario MU Advice

hi im dennis

Smash Apprentice
I've been having a lot of trouble vs Mario lately. His punish game is incredible vs mac. All he has to do is shield one of your moves and he can grab combo you for like 40%. Next, his back throw is really strong so he can get you really far offstage. Once you're offstage he has 2 really reliable ways of edge guarding. First he can just cape your side b, really nothing you can do about this from what I see. Next is even more reliable, his FLUDD. Against most characters this move is worthless, really bad actually. But against mac it's like a nuke. Right before your are about to recover he can just push you back and you are done. Any advice helps.

Zoramine Fae

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
2895-8088-7214
The thing is against Mario is that you also can play the patient game against them: One of you will approach eventually. Mario has Fireballs to attempt to rack up damage, but getting used to powershielding Fireballs will help greatly. Spotdodging any grab attempts then charging a Down Smash predicting them to spotdodge any attack you throw out usually stuffs them away. Down Tilt and Up Tilt also can keep Mario away as they are light, moderate knockback attacks which can poke aggressive players. Forward Tilt and Jab also beat out Fireballs priority-wise, so you can do that if they try to play defensively.

For the whole edgeguarding thing, airdodge once you get near the ledge then use Up B/Side B if necessary. If they will cape, you will have a few frames to air dodge beforehand. If you know they are going to cape, Side B away from the stage so the cape will make them get hit as a result. You can also airdodge the first few bits of Mario's FLUDD, and Marios often follow up FLUDD with a FAir or the Cape. Predict this, and airdodge as necessary or Counter if you feel ballsy as all living hell.

And to prevent the middle scenario, just don't get grabbed at all. Keep up pressure with tilts and Down tilted FSmashes, and Side B at necessary times when the Mario uses Up Smash. Do not approach them when they charge up a smash attack predicting a roll, instead walk right out of their range and charge your own upwards tilted FSmash. As long as they can't get you offstage, they can't use any edgeguarding tools.

Hope this helps alot!

Laitome

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
0216-0929-1203
F-TILT! F-TILT! F-TILT!

But in all seriousness mario has crap reach, space him out using tilts and he shouldn't be able to punish with a grab. As for recovery you need to learn how to perfectly space your up-b's to recover against Fludd and save your jump, ALWAYS. Another option you have is to hit him with your up-b if he tries to fludd you while he's on stage.

Rekzius

Smash Apprentice
Do keep in mind that mac`s nair is frame 2, and will break a lot of mario`s up tilt combos. This is true for a lot of tilt combs in smash 4. Yeah i know, mac`s aerials actualy beeing useful for something.

hi im dennis

Smash Apprentice
Do keep in mind that mac`s nair is frame 2, and will break a lot of mario`s up tilt combos. This is true for a lot of tilt combs in smash 4. Yeah i know, mac`s aerials actualy beeing useful for something.
I do try that but it has so little downward knockback that it basically has no hitstun and he just keeps up tilting.

Rekzius

Smash Apprentice
I do try that but it has so little downward knockback that it basically has no hitstun and he just keeps up tilting.
I am fairly certian you can do it, but i works the best after the first up tilt after d-throw. After the first up tilt on low precents you should be able get one in and land on the ground. Then you can follow up with a jab. It is great for avoiding early up tilt damage. But above about 30% it will not work anymore, at that point mario`s up tilts strings should end as well, so just jump away.

Alphicans

Smash Hero
This matchup is incredibly tough. Arguable Mac's worst matchup (at one point I thought it was 80-20 for mario, but nowadays I think it's a typical counter like 65-35 or w.e). You can out neutral him for sure... You shouldn't be getting shield grabbed with this new patch. Tippered ftilt and fsmash should be safe on shield (can jab/dtilt before he grabs), so be sure to abuse that. Mario CAN run in and PS those attempts, and lots of players will rely on this, so mix it up by doing a standing grab when you see him run in on you. Most people when theyre running in on mac have the idea of shield grabbing you because your grab is so bad they don't think you'll use it. So use this to your advantage.

Play EXTREMELY cautious vs mario. Don't throw out things randomly, everything must have a well thought out purpose. Stick to centre stage as much as possible and don't get baited into attacking his shield near the ledge. Only fsmash neutral getup if you're in the lead by a stock etc. If you can keep in the middle you can win the m/u for sure.

Top Bottom