• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Mario-Luigi match up

Mega-Xander

Smash Rookie
NNID
avsimone13
Hey, I've been doing decently with Mario so far. I don't have too much experience with him in tournament yet, but I got destroyed by a luigi last time I faced one... Any advice?

I'm also down to pick up another character to try and counter luigi, but I know that no character hard counters him...I'm trying Pikachu but I'm having a tough time with killing even then... (and just in general, but that's another issue)

So: any advice? which characters are good against luigi? should I try switching during the match up?

Xeze

Smash Ace
NNID
XezeMaster
3DS FC
3969-6256-6191
Luigi is one of Mario's worst MUs (imo the worst). You can't do extended combos on him, so get a few hits and retreat. For mixups at lower %, after down throw and one up-tilt, shield the n-air and regrab. When Luigi's offstage, take as much of it as you can.

Luigi has trouble against zoning characters. Due to his low mobility and no reflector, characters with good projectiles and ranged moves do well against him. Just be careful when he gets in and avoid getting grabbed.

RespectingOpinions

Smash Cadet
Mario doesn't have a positive matchup with Luigi but it isn't that bad at all. You shouldn't really approach in this matchup. Throw a lot of fireballs, see how he reacts to them. Powershield his fireballs, you can bait out approaches by intentionally getting hit by a fireball and jabbing out of it. Mario can't combo Luigi as easily as he can other characters but it's not like it's impossible. Try baiting out things like nair and air dodges and punishing. If the Luigi can't mash, then edgegaurding Luigi is really easy. Always keep a FLUDD charged. Killing is the hardest part of the matchup imo. Reverse usmashes can work well but you have to read how they react in those kinds of situations. When both characters are at high percentages is when the matchup gets really scary.

NeoRed

Smash Cadet
Mario doesn't have a positive matchup with Luigi but it isn't that bad at all. You shouldn't really approach in this matchup. Throw a lot of fireballs, see how he reacts to them. Powershield his fireballs, you can bait out approaches by intentionally getting hit by a fireball and jabbing out of it. Mario can't combo Luigi as easily as he can other characters but it's not like it's impossible. Try baiting out things like nair and air dodges and punishing. If the Luigi can't mash, then edgegaurding Luigi is really easy. Always keep a FLUDD charged. Killing is the hardest part of the matchup imo. Reverse usmashes can work well but you have to read how they react in those kinds of situations. When both characters are at high percentages is when the matchup gets really scary.
Mario doesn't have bad matchups in general. But he doesn't have good matchups against top tiers. He does destroy fast fallers or heavy characters though.

RespectingOpinions

Smash Cadet
Mario doesn't have bad matchups in general. But he doesn't have good matchups against top tiers. He does destroy fast fallers or heavy characters though.
I feel like Marios matchups with most of the top tiers are close to even actually.

Top Bottom