• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Mario Kart 8 DLC Coming Worldwide August 27th!

AkashicSword

Yokai
Earlier this summer, Nintendo released details about the first wave of downloadable content for Mario Kart 8. At the time, Nintendo teased players with a Kart based on the newest SUV in the Mercedes Benz lineup: The 2014 GLA. Now, just weeks before the release date of the DLC, Nintendo has released many new details regarding the content. For starters, the DLC will be distributed for free in the form of a mandatory game patch on August 27th. Along with the already announced SUV Kart, two more Karts based on historic Mercedes Benz vehicles have been added to the patch: The famous 1934 W25 Silver Arrow Formula Racing Car and the 1957 300 SL Roadster. The GLA Kart will also change color depending on the character behind the wheel, and unique wheel and glider sets have been announced for the Karts.

You can watch the announcement trailer below.

Nintendo tweeted earlier this week that the new patch will come with a variety of updates to the User Interface. So far, the following changes have been announced to appear in the patch.

• Drivers will now have the option to display the course map on the TV screen during races.
  • The order of the menu after each race will be changed to “Next Race”, followed by “Watch Highlight Reel”.
  • The game will remember the most recent kart options that were selected, even if the Wii U system was powered down.
  • Users will be able to change options of other players’ Mario Kart TV downloaded highlight reels, such as changing the focus to different characters or actions.
  • A score screen will be added so players can see how many coins they’ve collected, the win-loss record of their online battles and their frequently used characters.
  • Improved the stability of the online connection to enhance user experience during online battles. (Source: CraveOnline)
Alongside the new content, August 27th will mark the first day of the “Mercedes Cup”. This is a worldwide online competition, so any player who has received the patch can go online and compete for glory! All of the details can be found here.

This bizarre DLC is not the only collaboration between Mercedes Benz and Nintendo either. Featured alongside the original DLC announcement was a Japanese Mercedes Benz commercial for the GLA, featuring an absurdly gritty real life Mario taking the wheel. You can watch the 30-second advert here.

Mario has never looked more manly.​
Not satisfied with the new DLC? Worry not! Nintendo has announced that new DLC is already in the works! What do you think Nintendo should add in future DLC? How do you feel about the product placement in Mario Kart 8? Discuss below!

AkashicSword is an absolute Nintendo fanatic, and an eccentric lover of all things gaming. For a place to discuss all things gaming, and to see what thoughts pass through his head, follow him @AkashicGaming.

Last edited:

The Slayer

RAWR!
NNID
Ren
3DS FC
1778-9825-9960
Thank god for the on-TV map. Was just ******** just looking down every moment or so and potentially getting shelled or something at the same time. Good patch day coming in.

Knife Myths

Smash Journeyman
This has absolutely nothing to do with Smash. At least they tried to make a connection with the Hyrule Warriors stuff.

Hokori

Great King of Evil
-Course map on the TV screen
-Save recent Kart options

^

Best thing since sliced bread.

Diddy Kong and some throwback Battle Mode would be nice too though...but that's none of my business

D-idara

Banned via Administration
NNID
D-idara
3DS FC
4511-0670-4622
This has absolutely nothing to do with Smash. At least they tried to make a connection with the Hyrule Warriors stuff.
Smash has to do with everything Nintendo, technically.
At first I thought the GLA was cool...but DAMN! That Silver Arrow looks amazing and actually has to do a lot with Kart racing, so it fits even more, the on-screen map also sounds cool and all the little tweaks, and can someone link a source to them saying more DLC will be coming? Here's hoping for Diddy Kong and some Tropical Freeze track.

Last edited:

Shirma Akayaku

Smash Lord
NNID
Toadette75
Switch FC
SW-3818-9526-0298
I'm glad this is happening. Now we need Retro Tracks from SNES & GBA, since there are a lot of unused ones, and hopefully, a proper battle mode with stages.

cj.

Smash Journeyman
King Bob-omb or Boom Boom

Last edited:

quotidianmusic

Smash Rookie
This could be pertinent to smash as it shows that some of Nintendo's big name games are willing and able to implement free DLC, which would be great for Smash

Wasp

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3523-2036-8883
cosplay done right...

and yeah, diddy Kong would be nice... same goes for bowser jr (besides koopa kids) king boo, koopa paratroopa, dry bones, dry bowser maybe?

Would had loves these instead of all those babies... the worst thing ever is baby daisy and baby rosalina... they're just made up for mario kart 8...

Last edited:

BowserK.Rool

Smash Champion
Diddy, Birdo, Bowser Jr. King Boo, and King K. Rool, give me those and I'll be happy.

D-idara

Banned via Administration
NNID
D-idara
3DS FC
4511-0670-4622
I'm glad this is happening. Now we need Retro Tracks from SNES & GBA, since there are a lot of unused ones, and hopefully, a proper battle mode with stages.
No, please, no more horrid tracks like Donut Plains, and Mario Circuit's only good because of the music! But seriously, SNES tracks are a cancer that needs to dissapear from Mario Kart as soon as possible.

allison

She who makes bad posts
NNID
crazyal02
3DS FC
0216-1055-4584
Mercedes is weird, blah blah... Everything else looks cool though, especially on-screen map

cj.

Smash Journeyman
also would like another character of the Wario series

smashingDoug

Smash Lord
Would had loves these instead of all those babies... the worst thing ever is baby daisy and baby rosalina... they're just made up for mario kart 8...
that is why mario kart should become mario and Nintendo all stars 'karting' with atvs and bikes or whatever

Last edited:

The Derrit

Smash Lord
BRoomer
Smash Brothers and Nintendo are connected at the hip. The majority of people on this site have been very receptive to Nintendo news, and as that is the case Smashboards will continue to host major Nintendo-based news when it appears.

Knife Myths

Smash Journeyman
Smash Brothers and Nintendo are connected at the hip. The majority of people on this site have been very receptive to Nintendo news, and as that is the case Smashboards will continue to host major Nintendo-based news when it appears.
I feel like posting what amounts to patch notes for non-Smash games as front page news is a little excessive, but I'll take you on your word that I'm in the minority. Some kind of filtering or keyword alert system for front page articles would be nice, though.

Last edited:

Daftatt

"float like a puffball, sting like a knee"
NNID
Daftatt
Yoshi's SL roadster isn't green... I quit nintendo, I ****ing quit. Do I ask for much? No, no I don't. You know I was pretty excited for smash 4, well it's too late now!

Anyone want a free wiiU? You can use it to play mario kart and scoot around in yoshi's ****ing WHITE god **** SL ROADSTER!

I feel like posting what amounts to patch notes for non-Smash games as front page news is a little excessive, but I'll take you on your word that I'm in the minority. Some kind of filtering or keyword alert system for front page articles would be nice, though.
Really? This ain't reddit. 2 maybe 3 stories are posted per day. If you scan the topic line and aren't interested... Well I'd reckon that's some mighty effective keyword filtering you got built right in!

Last edited:

Shirma Akayaku

Smash Lord
NNID
Toadette75
Switch FC
SW-3818-9526-0298
No, please, no more horrid tracks like Donut Plains, and Mario Circuit's only good because of the music! But seriously, SNES tracks are a cancer that needs to dissapear from Mario Kart as soon as possible.
Well they might not be going away anytime soon. Plus, Nintendo doesn't reuse remade tracks, so why not get rid of the all bad ones in one go through DLC? Also, Nintendo remakes the tracks to fit Mario Kart 8's theme. Besides, I'd want to see places like Cheese Land or Ribbon Road as DLC.

Aguki90

Smash Ace
NNID
Aguki900
3DS FC
2423-2759-1478
I like this. Most of the thing that was misse in the game are coming, with more exclusive kart.
That great News!

Now need is Exclusive Battle Mode MAP and More freagging characters or Costume or skin whatever.(I RANTING!)

How the Mario Kart Wii have better character than this beuty that just have more clones of metal and bunch of Babys.

IT COULD BE BETTER IS BOWSER JR WAS IN OR EVEN DIDDY KONG OR EVEN DRY BOWSER THAT HE HAVE IS OWN COURSE NOW...

Aguki90

Smash Ace
NNID
Aguki900
3DS FC
2423-2759-1478
Apparently, a spanish Nintendo magazine talked about DLC and characters, and one of the characters shown was official artwork of Diddy Kong.

I do believe they will be coming out with character DLC, that or it was a really good fake picture. :troll:
I saw a leak that look pretty legit.(it fake ok.)
Show a character screen a bit bigger with diddy kong and bunch of others. That included magikoopa.

To me is fake but d*** that would be a better rooster.

Claire Diviner

President
NNID
ClaireDiviner
I love the fact Nintendo's doing more DLC beyond the Mercedes-Benz cars. As much as I'd love to see new characters, the sad truth is, unless Nintendo plans on doing a stat overhaul for each individual the way they did for Mario Kart Wii, any DLC character they add will be exactly the same stat-wise as all other characters in their weight group, making character choices more aesthetic than strategic.

That said, unless they can update the character stats as mentioned above to warrant my excitement for DLC characters, what I would love to see added to the game (other than new karts) are new tracks/cups. I really would love an HD update to N64 Wario Stadium, Wii Moonview Highway, DS Bowser's Castle, GCN Rainbow Road, or even 3DS Neo Bowser City. That's not even including the potential for new original tracks as well.

If there's one game out now that Nintendo can do a ton for to extend replay value more than the game already has and bring unprecedented legitimacy to it via DLC, it's Mario Kart 8

Tino

Smash Hero
NNID
FaustinoRojo10
3DS FC
5284-1678-8857
Switch FC
SW-6232-2426-8037
Rosalina on a Merecedes-Benz kart such as the GLA? Sounds really exciting. xD

And it's cool that they're gonna put the map on the screen now too.

And I don't know what to expect for other future DLCs for the game. As long as it catches my interest, I may consider getting those.

Last edited:

The Derrit

Smash Lord
BRoomer
There are tags underneath the titles of articles. Also article names are usually a giveaway.

Xinc

Smash Lord
NNID
xincmars
3DS FC
2981-7601-8481
Goodie. Benz x Nintendo all the way.

Duskinja

Smash Cadet
NNID
Yoshibrothers505
You mean I'm getting Mario Kart 8, the DLC, and the patch all on my birthday? Nintendo, you lovely dogs you. <3

The Slayer

RAWR!
NNID
Ren
3DS FC
1778-9825-9960
Not to mention they're patching and putting DLC in MK8. Which could be considered for Smash Bros when it comes out for the Wii U. You never know.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
So instead of having 6+ Rosalinas on Sports Bikes every race, I'll be seeing 6+ Rosalinas in Mercedes cars...

Well, that means a lot less Rosie butt waddling about but it's still 6+ Rosies so I'll take it.

Top Bottom