• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

mario in brawl compared to melee

Arcinatus

Smash Rookie
so how is mario in brawl compared to melee? i love this guy to death and main him in melee and in SSB 64. i've noticed that they switched out his tornado spin for that water pump thing, is it any good?

and was he buffed / nerfed / changed in other ways? i'm getting a Wii in june and SSB brawl with it.

thx! :p

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
Mario is really good in Brawl.

His projectile game is better partly because of the physics engine and because he's more nimble. He can approach better with Fireballs, he can stop ledgeguarders better with Fireballs, yeah. Fireballs are seriously GOOD in Brawl.

The Cape, contrary to popular belief has NOT been nerfed. It is just as useful as it was for ledgeguarding because it can push people away from the stage so they don't grab the ledge. It also reverses controller orientation briefly, so if someone charges a Firefox to the left and gets caped, instead of going left, they will fire to the right. The Cape can still do everything it could do in Melee, and due to the lack of powershielding projectiles to reflect them, it is that much more useful.

The FLUDD is amazing for ledgeguarding. It will gimp some recoveries if fully charged and if it gets a clean hit. It's hard to explain, but it makes ledgeguarding a LOT easier, by persay reducing the benefit opponents get from using recovery moves. You should watch Mike Hawk use the FLUDD.

Mario's air game is still fast and great for juggling like in Melee. He has a little more range on some attacks, which helps a lot.

Mario didn't get too much more in terms of kill strength, but his Up-smash is a lot easier to connect, and his F-smash doesn't demand nearly as much sweetspotting in order to kill.

Overall Mario is significantly better. He's a character that is awesome at ledgeguarding in a game where that is difficult to do. He still has a lot of variety to adapt to situations in Brawl. his shortcommings are still range and kill strength, but as far as I'm concerned he suffers from those problems less than he did in Melee.

???????

Smash Journeyman
Buffs:

*Fair is multipurpose with both the effects of a spike and horizontal knockback*

*Cape has more control over Mario's and his opponent’s momentum*

*Better juggler with his tilts and aerials*

*Fireballs have a bit more hitstun*

*Tornado has more priority and has more applicable uses as an offensive attack*

*Has F.L.U.D.D.; very good move despite speculation*

*Because of Brawl's physics Mario's recovery no longer much of an issue*

*Wavebouncing allows the cape to be used more as an offensive aerial*

*Forward smash has increased range (Stutter step) and is powerful even without being sweetspotted*

*Easier setups and more options of approach with fireballs, F.L.U.D.D., and RARs*

*Increased floatiness gives increased aerial mobility which also allows for an easier WoP*

*Slingshot effect with the cape (A.K.A. Cape Gliding) allows Mario to quickly and easily travel across platforms and get close to opponents far away off the ledge*

*Can jab lock*

Nerfs:

*Fair is a bit slower and more difficult to time, and without L-canceling is easier to punish (It can be auto-canceled but it’s still a bit slow)*

*Cape is not quite as foolproof due to the auto ledge grab feature*

*Juggling and chain grabbing isn't as effective in Brawl due to airdodging and decreased hitstun*

*Fireballs travel less distance*

*No longer can use a rising tornado*

*Smaller hitboxes below him*

*Without wavedashing it is harder to make up for Mario's poor tilt and grab range*

*Cape has less of a hitbox behind it*

*Forward smash is slower*

*Forward tilt is slightly shorter*

*Slower without L-canceling (Although there’s still auto-canceling) and wavedashing*

*No long can wall jump cancel his Up B*

*Aerials have trouble KOing (This is mostly due to the new Brawl physics, easier DI, and stale-move negation); relies on a good ground and edgeguard game to get his KOs*

Mario has been buffed overall (Or rather, most of his major weaknesses have been eliminated) but relies more on a good ground game which is tough due to his short ranged tilts and grabs. Mario is like many of the other combo orientated characters in the game, have a tougher time in Brawl mainly because Brawl’s physics demand for a balanced playstyle (A good ground and air game).

*Mario may have his ups and downs but he is not nerfed*

Arcinatus

Smash Rookie
alright cool, thx for the info fellas. i love mario <3.

i'm very good at using his aerial moves in melee, so i'm gonna have to focus on his ground game more in brawl?

???????

Smash Journeyman
Well yes, work on your ground game but you can focus a lot on your air game too, just don't neglect how well you play on the ground.

Top Bottom