• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Mario in 1.1.5

Xeze

Smash Ace
NNID
XezeMaster
3DS FC
3969-6256-6191
With this new patch, as expected, Mario remained unchanged. However, he got buffed indirectly due to the nerfs to some top tiers (Sheik, ZSS, Cloud). I feel he might go even with Sheik and ZSS now.

Thoughts?

Last edited:

Kulty

Smash Ace
I'm so happy that the top-tiers got nerfed so hard. Now, Mario's gonna have an easier time against them (thank god especially against Meta Knight and ZSS because these character are obnoxious-sorry Xandercosm for offending your MK). Corrin got nerfed too, but we have to watch out still because the decrease in her damage output does benefit her aerial combo game, but up-air doesn't kill anymore (well I mean it kills much later).

Also, Xeze, those SAMUS BUFFS though...XD I play Samus a lot, and I can feel that she's looking pretty good and awesome!

EDIT: still way too early to tell how Sheik, MK and ZSS MUs are going to look like now after the patch. They're still opponents we have to watch out, but only time will tell I guess...

Last edited:

Xandercosm

Smash Lord
NNID
vineto
I'm so happy that the top-tiers got nerfed so hard. Now, Mario's gonna have an easier time against them (thank god especially against Meta Knight and ZSS because these character are obnoxious-sorry Xandercosm for offending your MK). Corrin got nerfed too, but we have to watch out still because the decrease in her damage output does benefit her aerial combo game, but up-air doesn't kill anymore (well I mean it kills much later).

Also, Xeze, those SAMUS BUFFS though...XD I play Samus a lot, and I can feel that she's looking pretty good and awesome!
Poor MK... I am really sad about that but I guess it's okay. His F-air got buffed so... Yay...

Still awesome to see a lot of the top tiers get nerfs. This is huge for Mario, in my opinion. I'm very excited in that respect.

Last edited:

Kulty

Smash Ace
Poor MK... I am really sad about that but I guess it's okay. His F-air got buffed so... Yay...
I still think that MK will still be a great character (thank god I won't hate him as much), but he just has to work a little bit harder in order to rack up those KOs since MK can have trouble KOing at super high-percents. I think those nerfs are pretty duable...

Xeze

Smash Ace
NNID
XezeMaster
3DS FC
3969-6256-6191
Samus looks so delicious now. Her new dash attack hitbox can combo into up B. F-tilt is better. This is the patch she needed so badly.

Also according to Tyrant, the MK MU was even or slightly in Mario's favor. Well at least now I agree that it is definitely better for the plumber.

Kulty

Smash Ace
Samus looks so delicious now. Her new dash attack hitbox can combo into up B. F-tilt is better. This is the patch she needed so badly.

Also according to Tyrant, the MK MU was even or slightly in Mario's favor. Well at least now I agree that it is definitely better for the plumber.
Just hope that Mario doesn't get nerfed in the next patch (if there's one)!We really have to be grateful to Sakurai for not touching Mario during the entire development of DLC and balance patches... We really got lucky.

That extreme for MK? I guess those nerfs were really extreme for MK and really did affected him badly... At least some of ou worst MUs have been adressed somewhat against the top-tiers, but still not Rosa...

StardustBamma

Smash Rookie
NNID
StardustBamma
Tbh before the patch I thought Mario vs ZSS was even and Mario vs MK being the same or slightly in Mario's favor. might not have the best MK practice, but I have really good ZSS practice in Marss. Sheik might also be even now but we need to see just how her nerfs affect her meta first.

Xeze

Smash Ace
NNID
XezeMaster
3DS FC
3969-6256-6191
Just hope that Mario doesn't get nerfed in the next patch (if there's one)!We really have to be grateful to Sakurai for not touching Mario during the entire development of DLC and balance patches... We really got lucky.
Mario won't get any more changes. He is not winning any national tournament and seldom places top 8 in those too. He has no horrible MUs but he doesn't have any dominant MUs either (I think). We should be safe from the nerfhammer.

Xandercosm

Smash Lord
NNID
vineto
Mario won't get any more changes. He is not winning any national tournament and seldom places top 8 in those too. He has no horrible MUs but he doesn't have any dominant MUs either (I think). We should be safe from the nerfhammer.
I don't know. Mario hasn't been doing too bad. Pretty much the same as a lot of the other characters in the top 10. He just doesn't get tweaks because he's pretty well balanced.

Last edited:

Kulty

Smash Ace
Yeah. I think so too. The only true MU that we really have to worry about at this point is:rosalina:. We still have to watch out for some other matchups, but after the nerfs from:4sheik::4zss::4metaknight:, Mario's MUs against them became a lot more duable and are a lot more easier to handle. There might be some mid or low-tiers that we have to worry (:4dk::4ganondorf::4greninja::4link:just to name a few), but we still don't really know what these characters can do to actually exploit Mario's weaknesses.

EDIT: Xandercosm, I feel we need to wait a few days (or maybe a week) before we actually resume discussion on the matchups due to the new patch and how these changes affected the meta of the buffed and nerfed characters. I know you only did Pit from what I know, but I think that Pit and Dark Pit haven`t been changed in this patch I believe...

Last edited:

Large Dad

Smash Cadet
NNID
ITSYOPAPA
3DS FC
2680-9462-5670
I knew Mario would one day rise. I don't know if we can call him "S tier" material though.
We need an all new tier called the "M Tier". It shall be above the the S tier and the only person allowed on it is Mario.
And we shall have everyone main Mario and create 20MarioMario (20MM) :denzel:

Kulty

Smash Ace
I knew Mario would one day rise. I don't know if we can call him "S tier" material though.
We need an all new tier called the "M Tier". It shall be above the the S tier and the only person allowed on it is Mario.
And we shall have everyone main Mario and create 20MarioMario (20MM) :denzel:
XDD. lol...While I feel that this patch benefited a lot for Mario's matchups, I still don't think he will be top-tier material. I still think he's high-tier, but he might go down eventually as people know more the matchup...

Xandercosm

Smash Lord
NNID
vineto
XDD. lol...While I feel that this patch benefited a lot for Mario's matchups, I still don't think he will be top-tier material. I still think he's high-tier, but he might go down eventually as people know more the matchup...
Nah. He'll probably be top 10 forever. A lot of people used to say that everyone would learn the MU and then that would be it for Mario. That hasn't happened after over a year and his MU spread is just getting better and better. He pretty much has only up to go in the tier list. Potentially top 5 in the future, in my opinion. Depends on results really but now that his only "real" bad MUs have pretty much been eliminated, there is nothing standing in his way.

Kulty

Smash Ace
Nah. He'll probably be top 10 forever. A lot of people used to say that everyone would learn the MU and then that would be it for Mario. That hasn't happened after over a year and his MU spread is just getting better and better. He pretty much has only up to go in the tier list. Potentially top 5 in the future, in my opinion. Depends on results really but now that his only "real" bad MUs have pretty much been eliminated, there is nothing standing in his way.
We have to see, but we should wait at least a week in order to re-discuss the matchups. Some top-tiers and low-tiers got changed after this patch and this can affect the matchup ratio quite a bit. I'm just curious how's the:4charizard::4ganondorf::4link::4mewtwo::4zelda:will look like after the patch? These five did get pretty good buffs, and I feel we should re-discuss some of the low-tiers...

Large Dad

Smash Cadet
NNID
ITSYOPAPA
3DS FC
2680-9462-5670
Let's just pray for no more nerfs on Mario. It may be less likely because Sakauri finds him *ahem* "Balanced" but we may never know. The only big top tiers standing in Mario's way are :4bayonetta: and maybe :rosalina:. Otherwise, Mario may stay top 10 forever but I still wanna see Mario win at least one International. Once he does, he will sure rise and the M tier will finally be made. And 20MM will come into action. :mario:

Xandercosm

Smash Lord
NNID
vineto
Let's just pray for no more nerfs on Mario. It may be less likely because Sakauri finds him *ahem* "Balanced" but we may never know. The only big top tiers standing in Mario's way are :4bayonetta: and maybe :rosalina:. Otherwise, Mario may stay top 10 forever but I still wanna see Mario win at least one International. Once he does, he will sure rise and the M tier will finally be made. And 20MM will come into action. :mario:
I wouldn't say Bayo is a bad MU for Mario, though. Rosalina, on the other hand, is definitely (still not terrible). With Bayo, because of her terrible frame data, we can punish her hard if she uses half of her moveset. She's also super light, meaning, if she gets punished even at a low percent that can end the stock. Another thing is that she has trouble with characters that have smaller hurtboxes. Mario doesn't have nearly as much trouble escaping her combos as, say, Bowser would.

I definitely think the MU is even.

Xeze

Smash Ace
NNID
XezeMaster
3DS FC
3969-6256-6191
This is my current opinion on the Mario MU spread for the recent patch. It's nothing too accurate, because I'm no pro player and I still need more experience with this new patch, so take this with a grain of salt.
Thoughts?

mario_mus_xeze.PNG

Last edited:

CleanOgre

Smash Cadet
NNID
CleanOgre
This is my current opinion on the Mario MU spread for the recent patch. It's nothing too accurate, because I'm no pro player and I still need more experience with this new patch, so take this with a grain of salt.
Thoughts?

View attachment 100534
I'm curious, how is Marth a -2? If I recall correctly, a -2 is a near invalidation of the losing character.

Last edited:

Large Dad

Smash Cadet
NNID
ITSYOPAPA
3DS FC
2680-9462-5670
Thoughts?

View attachment 100534

Corrin at Disadvantage? I don't know, I take down Corrins very easily with Mario. Mario can take down a lot of his approach options and Mario can easily edge guard Corrin with either B-air or Cape. But I can see the range of Corrin being a problem. Just Mario has to be a little bit patient. I say it's pretty even.

Last edited:

Kulty

Smash Ace
I don't think Marth is -2. While Marth did received a lot of buffs in the patches, it still doesn't make me think that this MU is -2. The matchup is a lot more duable than the previous titles to where Marth destroys Mario completely. I would only say it's -1. Corrin, maybe it's more even than -2. I feel that Rosalina is the only MU to where our ratio is close to -2...

EDIT: move Lucina and Yoshi to even. Shulk, Cloud and Villager to +1. Link and Ganondorf to even. Robin to +2. That's just me...

Last edited:

Xandercosm

Smash Lord
NNID
vineto
Thoughts?

View attachment 100534
As others have said, Lucina and Yoshi are not losing MUs for him. Also, in my opinion, the only MU that is -2 for him is Rosa. I would put everyone else that he loses to down to -1. I'm unsure about G&W. The only reason he potentially beats us is due to his amazing edge-guarding. If not for that he would probably lose to us. Pretty good list overall.

MarioMeteor

Smash Hero
NNID
BGenius23
3DS FC
0662-2900-1492
This is delicious. We were already top 5, now we're only getting better. If these nerfs affect Grey and Blue Diddy heavily enough, we just, just might be top tier. Mario's future looks bright.
Thoughts?

View attachment 100534
The only thing I don't agree with is Mario losing to Falco. I actually find that matchup pretty damn horrible for Falco.

Xandercosm

Smash Lord
NNID
vineto
This is delicious. We were already top 5, now we're only getting better. If these nerfs affect Grey and Blue Diddy heavily enough, we just, just might be top tier. Mario's future looks bright.

The only thing I don't agree with is Mario losing to Falco. I actually find that matchup pretty damn horrible for Falco.
Depends on what you consider top tier (ZeRo considers it top 15 for some reason). Definitely, Mario will be rising. He's already really good and now he's only got more room to get better. I'm glad to be a Mario main right now.

Xeze

Smash Ace
NNID
XezeMaster
3DS FC
3969-6256-6191

I put Falco at "slight advantage", meaning Mario has an advantage over him (+1). :p

As for the rest of the feedback, yeah I was a bit undecided on Marth. -2 might be too much. Corrin is definitely a losing MU. The range is real (f-smash, side B, ...) and his/her recovery is not that easy to intercept.

EDIT: move Lucina and Yoshi to even. Shulk, Cloud and Villager to +1. Link and Ganondorf to even. Robin to +2. That's just me...
I can see Ganondorf being even. I'm curious about the rest.

Kulty

Smash Ace
I can see Ganondorf being even. I'm curious about the rest.
I also forgot to say that, but I think that Kirby is +1 or +2. Even though Kirby got massively buffed in latest patch, it still doesn't make me think that the matchup is even, but it's still duable for Kirby. I honestly would pick Dr. Mario for this matchup, because Mario tends to struggle against small floaty characters since he can't combo them as much as the other characters. Dr. Mario does actually a better job against small and floaties as opposed to Mario.

Mewtwo is still +1, but I think that Mario now needs to respect Mewtwo a little bit more than before due to the buffs that Mewtwo did received. It's slightly harder to KO Mewtwo due to his buff weight and slightly harder to catch him due to his increased dashing speed. However, I don't think Mewtwo's buffs are enough to say that this matchup is even. I still think that Mario has this one.

I honestly think that Mario's best matchup in the game is still Robin and not Mega Man. That's all my opinion so don't consider them as facts.

EDIT: I think that Corrin is -1 only not -2. It's one of Mario's difficult matchups, but not as worse as Rosalina.

Last edited:

MarioMeteor

Smash Hero
NNID
BGenius23
3DS FC
0662-2900-1492
I can't imagine Ganondorf going even with Mario.
Depends on what you consider top tier (ZeRo considers it top 15 for some reason). Definitely, Mario will be rising. He's already really good and now he's only got more room to get better. I'm glad to be a Mario main right now.
I'm torn between top tier being top 3 or top 4. I always thought that he was just out of top tier range, because of how bad he did against them. That could change now.
I put Falco at "slight advantage", meaning Mario has an advantage over him (+1). :p
Oh...I saw that.

Xandercosm

Smash Lord
NNID
vineto
I can't imagine Ganondorf going even with Mario.

I'm torn between top tier being top 3 or top 4. I always thought that he was just out of top tier range, because of how bad he did against them. That could change now.
My guess at what the future top 5 will be:

:rosalina::4diddy::4fox::4mario: 5th is either :4cloud:, :4zss:, or :4sonic:

This is just my prediction. Pretty much all the threat for Mario is out of the way except for Rosa. Diddy is bound for top 2 easily. Could be a fight between him and the others, though. Basically anyone but Rosa that I listed here could pretty much be interchangeable. I definitely think the path has cleared for characters like Diddy, Fox, and Mario, though. It's really a new age.

MarioMeteor

Smash Hero
NNID
BGenius23
3DS FC
0662-2900-1492
My guess at what the future top 5 will be:

:rosalina::4diddy::4fox::4mario: 5th is either :4cloud:, :4zss:, or :4sonic:

This is just my prediction. Pretty much all the threat for Mario is out of the way except for Rosa. Diddy is bound for top 2 easily. Could be a fight between him and the others, though. Basically anyone but Rosa that I listed here could pretty much be interchangeable. I definitely think the path has cleared for characters like Diddy, Fox, and Mario, though. It's really a new age.
I agree that Rosalina might end up being #1 by default, which isn't good for us, but Mario is a likely candidate for the #2 spot. If not him, then Ryu.

Xandercosm

Smash Lord
NNID
vineto
I agree that Rosalina might end up being #1 by default, which isn't good for us, but Mario is a likely candidate for the #2 spot. If not him, then Ryu.
Uhh... Ryu has dropped off the face of the Earth. He has practically no rep and no results anymore. I wouldn't even put him in top 10 at this point. But, yeah, Mario is doing well. I don't think we should be too worried about Rosa, though, since most people will probably flock to Cloud and Bayo as well as a lot of the other characters I put in the top 5. Everything is coming up Mario!

MarioMeteor

Smash Hero
NNID
BGenius23
3DS FC
0662-2900-1492
Uhh... Ryu has dropped off the face of the Earth. He has practically no rep and no results anymore. I wouldn't even put him in top 10 at this point. But, yeah, Mario is doing well. I don't think we should be too worried about Rosa, though, since most people will probably flock to Cloud and Bayo as well as a lot of the other characters I put in the top 5. Everything is coming up Mario!
If we're focusing purely on results then Rosalina shouldn't be up too high either, because she only has a handful of dedicated players. I don't believe that results make or break a character, not that it matters to Mario, because he has them, but still.

Xandercosm

Smash Lord
NNID
vineto
If we're focusing purely on results then Rosalina shouldn't be up too high either, because she only has a handful of dedicated players. I don't believe that results make or break a character, not that it matters to Mario, because he has them, but still.
Mario has results AND theory. Ryun suffers from the "Yoshi effect": Having a lot of solid theory-crafting but not much results to back it up. Not even rep.

I don't think he's terrible but I don't think he's top 5 either.

MarioMeteor

Smash Hero
NNID
BGenius23
3DS FC
0662-2900-1492
Mario has results AND theory. Ryun suffers from the "Yoshi effect": Having a lot of solid theory-crafting but not much results to back it up. Not even rep.

I don't think he's terrible but I don't think he's top 5 either.
What Ryu doesn't have in quantity, he has in quality. Yes, he doesn't have much representation, but the ones that play him perform very strongly with him, like Trela, DJ Jack, and Mr. R. Like Rosalina, he doesn't get much attention because of his high learning curve.

StardustBamma

Smash Rookie
NNID
StardustBamma
Thoughts?

View attachment 100534
only -2 is Rosa IMO. Corrin and Marth are a -1. I'd also move Link, Yoshi, Charizard and Ganon to even (maybe even a -1 on Ganon, that MU is hard). then Pika and Lucario to +1 these are the changes I'd make

Kulty

Smash Ace
only -2 is Rosa IMO. Corrin and Marth are a -1. I'd also move Link, Yoshi, Charizard and Ganon to even (maybe even a -1 on Ganon, that MU is hard). then Pika and Lucario to +1 these are the changes I'd make
Even if Ganon got buffed a lot, I still think that the MU is even. Plus, Ganondorf doesn't have the tools as opposed to Marth and Corrin to properly deal with Mario's weaknesses. Even if Ganon can kill Mario early, outspace him quite easily and edgeguard him, Mario does the same thing back to Ganon. He edgeguards Ganon very hard, comboes him so hard and Ganon can't keep up with Mario's pressure and neutral once he gets in. There's so much more I can say, but I'm busy right now. So yeah...

Top Bottom