• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Mario custom moves poll

moofpi

Smash Journeyman
NNID
moofpi
3DS FC
0473-8866-3506
Eh, you can't really say what his "best" custom moves are because though some are better in general, they are all very useful in tandem with other customs, match up dependent, and obviously just preference. The only questionable ones are Fire Orb (which who knows...) and Super Jump because normal Up B is the perfect move and decent recovery.

Xeze

Smash Ace
NNID
XezeMaster
3DS FC
3969-6256-6191
Shocking Cape and Fast Fireball are mostly matchup dependent. Scalding FLUDD is up to personal preference. I honestly think Mario's default set is pretty solid.
Plus the future of custom moves in tournaments looks dark right now.

I think the Explosive Jump can be pretty good for KO combos. It can kill around 80% on low ceiling stages.
If you down throw, Up-air, then Up-B you can kill in relatively low %'s. (It's a very safe option too).

The only downside is that it's easier to miss the first hit of the explosive jump, and if you miss the first hit it doesn't connect and you can be punished severely.

Last edited:

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
Mario's best specials overall in order are imo:

Shocking Cape
Scalding FLUDD
Gust Cape
Fast Fireballs
Super Jump Punch
Explosive Jump Punch
Fireballs
Super Jump
Super Cape
FLUDD
High Pressure FLUDD
Fire Orb

Shocking Cape imo is probably by far the single most valuable custom of that bunch, because it actually addresses all of Mario's problems in one single move. You get a grab KO confirm (D-throw Shocking Cape WILL combo and kill people), an aerial disjointed spacing tool that can kill, and it also increases the distance on Mario's recovery.

Scalding FLUDD is also pretty critical, given especially with Fast Fireballs, it gives Mario a real midrange game, something he normally doesn't have.

Everything else is either optimal or more matchup specific.

Last edited:

moofpi

Smash Journeyman
NNID
moofpi
3DS FC
0473-8866-3506
Mario's best specials overall in order are imo:

Shocking Cape imo is probably by far the single most valuable custom of that bunch, because it actually addresses all of Mario's problems in one single move. You get a grab KO confirm (D-throw Shocking Cape WILL combo and kill people), an aerial disjointed spacing tool that can kill, and it also increases the distance on Mario's recovery.

Scalding FLUDD is also pretty critical, given especially with Fast Fireballs, it gives Mario a real midrange game, something he normally doesn't have.

Everything else is either optimal or more matchup specific.
I've seen you play up Shock Cape around since the beginning and I've totally agreed, all my friends are always questionable about it until they're dead. I've seen you talk about Fthrow>Shock Cape, but what is the kill combo for it? Dthrow jump cape?

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
I've seen you play up Shock Cape around since the beginning and I've totally agreed, all my friends are always questionable about it until they're dead. I've seen you talk about Fthrow>Shock Cape, but what is the kill combo for it? Dthrow jump cape?
F-throw Shocking Cape is great for damage around mid percents (matchup specific though). D-throw Shocking Cape however is a legit KO confirm on basically everyone (especially by the ledge).

Xeze

Smash Ace
NNID
XezeMaster
3DS FC
3969-6256-6191
Regular FLUDD is not that bad imo. I would put it over Super Jump and Explosive Punch any day.
I agree on Shocking Cape being the best of them. A disjointed kill move that can be used in the air? Sign me in.
Gust Cape, however, is not that good. Windbox is all fine and dandy but the extra startup compared to regular/shocking cape can screw my timings.

Top Bottom