• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Mario Bros movie director says movie story is canon

kyokencl

Smash Rookie
NNID
kyokencl
3DS FC
3969-3699-8305
this is what i understand about the real story is not the story he wanted and the movie didin't used the director version

so for me is still not canon

thats all

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
Does anyone even care about that disaster of a movie? (Though I would recommend it if you want to get some laughs. :p)

Seriously though, canon is the last thing on anyone's mind when it comes to Mario.

Dr_Falchion

Smash Cadet
This is completely insane. So, he's saying that the movie was supposed to be canon, not the games, and in fact the games are canonically games based on the movie. What the heck!

KRBAY

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SSBBSonic
3DS FC
0774-4477-0228
I hope he's lying.

JusticeColde

Smash Cadet
NNID
JusticeColde
What a hack.
This doo-doo head don't what he talkin' 'bout.

Ever since that Game Theory episode about Rosalina, people have been arguing about what's Mario canon and what isn't. This is just plain stupid.

Code Bread

Smash Ace
3DS FC
1736-1424-9042
I'm sure Alvin Earthworm would say that Mario Bros. Z was canon, too.

SilentBob

Smash Apprentice
NNID
SgtFirestarter
3DS FC
1435-4126-3817
He can say whatever he wants but the movie isn't canon as long as Nintendo says otherwise. Also most of the things that happen in the movie don't even reflect the character personalities or other events that happened in Mario games that followed the movie.

Another example of this is Dragon Ball GT. For long the series was pretty much considered canon. The only problem with this is that the series wasn't made by the original creator of Dragon Ball and he has always thought that it bastardized his vision. Now he's doing everything in his power to create more content that contradicts Dragon Ball GT so he can write it out of canon.

Yashichi

Smash Journeyman
I wrote a Mario fanfic in which Waluigi and Wario were actually the gay fathers of Mario, Luigi and Peach. It's canon.

Code Bread

Smash Ace
3DS FC
1736-1424-9042
I wrote a Mario fanfic in which Waluigi and Wario were actually the gay fathers of Mario, Luigi and Peach. It's canon.
Why would you even do that, and why would you even say that.

Khao

Smash Lord
Why would his word be relevant to anything?

It directly contradicts the games in pretty much every way possible, it's simply uncapable of being canon regardless of what anyone says.

EDIT:

Oh hoh hoh, actually reading the article, the director is kind of full of bull****.

"We created the real story, the games are wrong" is basically what he's saying, which is an extremely arrogant buch of crap. He's talking as if Mario is his own franchise or something.

EDIT, again:

Reading again, and welp, I misinterpreted everything. They're not even close to saying or even implying that the story is canon or anything like that.

They simply made the movie like a way to make a different story, like, if Super Mario Bros had happened in the real world, this would have been it. It's the truth behind the myth, but that's just how it is within the movie's own universe. It's like, the game is a fun reinterpretation of a real event, and this movie is the actual real event.

Last edited:
Top Bottom