• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Mario as a counterpick?

gmBottles

Fun Haver
NNID
komfyking
I just started getting good with Mario, so I was wondering what matchups I could use him for in tournament as a counterpick. I main Bowser and have a Jigglypuff secondary, but a friend of mine told me that Mario is good against Marth, which is the matchup I struggle with the most. Would that work, or would I be better off playing Jiggs?

kingPiano

Smash Ace
I just started getting good with Mario, so I was wondering what matchups I could use him for in tournament as a counterpick. I main Bowser and have a Jigglypuff secondary, but a friend of mine told me that Mario is good against Marth, which is the matchup I struggle with the most. Would that work, or would I be better off playing Jiggs?
Mario good against Marth? I'd have to disagree with your friend. I also used to struggle a lot in that MU, Mario has no easy way in and his grab range compared to Marth's :'(

Mario and Doc are cool because of their unique weight to fall speed ratio. They don't suffer a lot of hitstun and are hit out of follow up range usually so they can be hard to combo.

Personally though I don't see Mario as a hard or even soft counter to anyone, as in almost all games he's middle of the road. So he's kind of "good" or "okay" against everyone except characters that flat out outrange him. Supposedly he's good against Pikachu, but I don't see it since you can still get tail spiked into oblivion.

Last edited:

Benny P

Smash Journeyman
I'm sorry, i have no reason to contribute to this thread but this

your sig is ****ing amazing hahhahaha

Top Bottom