• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Mario and Yoshi Matchup Help

Tripswag

Smash Cadet
Hey guys,

Diddy Kong main here, and I've been looking around here for some matchup threads and it seems fairly dead. That or we haven't gotten to the matchups I'm looking for yet. Specifically I need help with the Mario and Yoshi matchups. I don't know how best to handle them. Any and all tips would be super helpful!

Choco

Smash Rookie
NNID
Viron16
I'm a Yoshi main, and I feel like the matchup is very spacing oriented. Both characters want to move around and only be aggressive at the right time. Not sure if I can give many tips, but if the Yoshi is staying on the ground, that's when you want to pressure with banana, grabs, side b, etc.

Kr0nik

Smash Rookie
i don't have trouble at all w yoshi. its just about spacing, you have to wall them out with fair and just grab your banana whenever necessary and set it as a landing trap so they can't land in a spot you don't want them to, and just follow up with fairs/bairs just so you can wall yoshi out.

with mario, its a bit of trouble for me, but again, just wall out with fair and just play a bit defensive until you see an opening and chuck your banana and proceed to win. alot of marios like to go for the grabs early on, so just di up or behind him to get out of the utilt jank

Gamer_Mason

Smash Apprentice
when you're at high % absolutely never land on top of mario, try and use mobility to get on a platform instead of landing on the ground because he can usually punish those landings every time. careful with the top platforms at some %s because mario is capable of zss'ing diddy sometimes. if you're on the ground and ended up stuck in shield at a high % but he can't kill you if he grabs you, just hold the shield. don't roll or spotdodge because he can usmash read those things, but all he can do is grab if you shield. the more you force mario to be unable to kill with usmash the more you frustrate them and you can double or triple your stocks lifespan if he has to kill with an aerial or a 180% backthrow. he'll take you to danger %s fast with his combos, but if he can't kill you then, it doesn't matter.

yoshi idk eggs explode if they hit anything (they are basically flying mines) and you go under them if you dash attack sometimes but idk about every time. they really like to b reverse neutral b because it's a really good command grab so it's not going to be easy to landing trap yoshi with typical banana stuff but you can try to intercept him instead sometimes. he has bad startup right beneath him, so uair is good at juggling but you need to watch for down b. his recovery sucks so if you ever see a yoshi player pushing their luck with eggs onstage and not grabbing ledge you can weasel your way through that sometimes and bully him back off. tbh i find gimping yoshi easier with fox than diddy since fox's bair has the knockback for it but diddy can do it too. be prepared to airdodge fairs when you're offstage at every moment, since a lot of yoshis go for it. footstooling him if he's spent double jump kills him every time lol

Last edited:

CelestialMarauder~

Smash Ace
Vs Yoshi pretty much you just have to make him work for everything. Wall him out with fairs, make him afraid of banana, dont let him recover or land for free try to stay evasive so he can't land eggtoss kill confirms etc. Yoshi's strenghts don't get to shine unless he wins neutral in this matchup, so don't let him win neutral.

Top Bottom