• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Mario and Villager? Good as Main and Secondary?

MegaFatcat100

Smash Cadet
I played Villager for months without really learning him, but he is definitely my comfort/troll pick. But I've decided to put more work into my Mario since he is a really fun and hype character. So my question is, Do these two cover matchups well, and are they good to main/secondary eachother?

b2jammer

Smash Apprentice
NNID
b2jammer
Like you, I usually play Villager as a troll character, usually in doubles with a partner Villager for the pocket tree kill setups. Mario is such a solid character in this game that the only time you would need a secondary is a matchup that gives you, the player, a hard time. Villager can be useful as a secondary when you really need to play defensively as that's probably his biggest strength, but he really struggles up close thanks to his rather laggy attacks, and he's only really useful against characters with unsafe approaches or neutral like DDD, something that Mario already has little trouble with.

TL;DR Villager can be a defensive secondary for Mario, but the Italian "plumber" is good enough on his own that he doesn't really need one.

Bellsproot

Smash Rookie
Halifax County, VA, United States of America
NNID
Bellsproot
3DS FC
2122-5480-5766
The good thing about both Mario and Villager is that they can both play the spacing well and force approaches on most of the cast using their projectiles. Villager and Mario can play in similar ways by being patient and bait-and-punishing the enemy. Mario does punishing better than Villager, and is more solid all around, but Villager and go deep and camp the **** out of almost anyone. The two go well together, and have pretty strong match-up spreads between them

tl;dr Yes, Villager and Mario work well together as main and secondary

hell-dew

Smash Apprentice
the only char you super have to be wary of is rosa cause she makes marios life miserable and she trashes villager.

Top Bottom