• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Marijuana: Legalize it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Colenstien

Smash Ace
Pot, weed, Mary Jane, Uncle George's bushy whiskers. It has many names, but a question still stands: Should Marijuana be legal?

Marijuana (Cannabis) is a plant that can be smoked much, much like tobacco. BUT unlike tobacco, marijuana causes a euphoric sense of reality.

I very much think it should be legal. I have never gotten high, but I know people who do. Marijuana smoking has become very widespread. No longer is pot the diet of hippies, now it is something mostly done by people under 30, but that does not mean your grandpa is smoking a doubie as we speak. Marijuana has been shown to help the heart; it is even given as a medication in California (though alot less potent, as to keep the waiting room from getting all freaky). But it does have its drawbacks: like cigarette smoking it gums up the lungs. Also, unlike tobacco, prolonged use will cause severe damage on the brain.

So that is what I think, either you like or you don't.

Discuss.

AltF4

BRoomer
BRoomer
I wouldn't personally use it, but I can't imagine why it would be illegal to use. Anyone know the history behind it being banned? I'm too lazy to research it myself right now.

Xsyven

And how!
BRoomer
Seems safer than drinkin' a bottle of vodka.

I think if it became legal, it should have the same limits. Only 21 year olds could buy it, you can get a DUI from it (though driving while high varies from person to person).

There should be restrictions, but not a complete banning. Uness alcohol is banned, too.

cF=)

Smash Lord
I wouldn't personally use it, but I can't imagine why it would be illegal to use. Anyone know the history behind it being banned? I'm too lazy to research it myself right now.
http://blogs.salon.com/0002762/stories/2003/12/22/whyIsMarijuanaIllegal.html

EDIT: A substance which has no harm to anybody but myself should be kept legal just for the sake of pursuing my happiness. Even hard drugs have no reason to be illegal, it's not the government's job to carry me by the hand and keep me away from potentially hurting my lungs/stomach/brain.

Alcohol and tobacco are still legal because it's easy to tax, unlike the easy grown drug marijuana. Money, money, and money again. The same money that pharmaceutical companies keep in their pocket while selling you man-made and 'corporate benefiting' drugs (ever read your everyday aspirin's safety issues?)

And guess where the billions come from when it's time to fight drug crime: your pocket.

Teebs

Smash Champion
NNID
Teebs-kun
Anyone can agree that the government shouldn't keep looking over our shoulder to see if we are growing and smoking marijuana. But, you have to look at it from the stand point of health issues and new generations of kids. I may sound like the person who is like, "Yes, marijuana should be illegal," but I can see so many points for marijuana to be legal. Medical marijuana anyone? Prescripted marijuana was the pre-aspirin before the invention of aspirins, and is used as a pain reliever today and for other illnesses. I think marijuana should be legal for medicinal purposes, but not for making a person high. I could really care less if a person smokes marijuana, it's their life, and they can screw it up all they want.

Gamer4Fire

PyroGamer
BRoomer
But, you have to look at it from the stand point of health issues and new generations of kids.
What health standpoint? Cannabis is far healthier than either tobacco or alcohol. It would make more sense from a health standpoint to legalize cannabis and ban alcohol and tobacco. From a social aspect (which is far more important) it makes a lot more sense to legalize and restrict (opposed to banning) all drugs. If you can set and maintain standards for a product, you can ensure its safety. When a product is beyond your control, its affects can be anything.

cF=)

Smash Lord
When a product is beyond your control, its affects can be anything.
Street laws are still regulated by demand and offer, which somewhat ensure, in the marijuana case, that quality has to meet the customers. You can buy cannabis at every corners, why would someone sell subpar quality?

Laced weed is also bs. Economically, it's ridiculous someone add another drug to weed and sell it at the same price as every other dealers. Who's the biggest looser in that case?

MasterFreak

Smash Apprentice
First off let me say that i smoke pot, its not an every day thing but i work in consruction and sometimes after putting in a 10 hour day i like to come home and smoke a bowl and watch t.v it a good way relax. but i dont abuse it, i dont smoke while im at work because im around heavy machines and there are too many risks, i could hurt my self or somebody else but when im at home my biggest risk is chokeing on my food when i have the muncheis. But even a once in a while smoker like my self has felt the prolong effects of pot my mind works slower than it used to but only in certan situations anything that has to do with hands on like video games or rebuilding the engine in my car i have not noticed any change, but things like writing, spelling(as you must have noticed) and math is getting harder for me.

But to wrap up my point i think that pot will never be completly legalized in any state only because its hard for the money hungry boys in office to make a profit on something that any jack@$$ can grow in there besement or closet.

Gamer4Fire

PyroGamer
BRoomer
Street laws are still regulated by demand and offer, which somewhat ensure, in the marijuana case, that quality has to meet the customers. You can buy cannabis at every corners, why would someone sell subpar quality?

Laced weed is also bs. Economically, it's ridiculous someone add another drug to weed and sell it at the same price as every other dealers. Who's the biggest looser in that case?
I wasn't talking about laced, specifically. But different levels of doping have caused problems when a user buys from a dealer who didn't dope as much as their own did and they ODed without knowing it. There are also unreputable folk who make a quick buck by selling baking soda to nobodies who show up just to buy junk, but they didn't have any on hand and didn't expect a repeat purchase in the future anyways. Or the truly unreputable who sold Drano to a couple because he didn't have anything on hand and outright killed them.

If you restrict it and have standards (This product must contain at least x amount of ____ and no more than x by weight/volume) you control the effects it has and people know what they are getting and how powerful it is.

And beyond that, supply and demand does work, you might have a weak product, but someone REALLY wants to get high, they'll buy it. You can't always buy purple st- that is, the good stuff all the time because you don't always have the funds to afford the good stuff and sometimes you have to settle for something more in your price range.

In economics, they call that substitution effect, like Splenda versus Sweet'nLow. They both do about the same thing but if you prefer Sweet'nLow and the price doubles but Splenda doesn't, you might pick up Splenda just because you can't afford to buy Sweet'nLow at the moment.

DeadtoSin

Smash Apprentice
I am in support of Marijuana becoming legal. There are few other drugs I would have such support for. Marijuana is a useful tool for cancer patients undergoing chemotherapy. I think it is a tragedy that the Federal government will bust in on a person for smoking marijuana simply because they were tired of having chemo sickness.

Sandy

Smash Champion
So then we should legalize it because it's "not as bad"? Let me inform you- marijuana is "bad". Don't compare it to other things such as smoking.

So then let's say we do legalize marijuana. Suddenly, death rates are climbing and the American citizen is becoming lower-grade. We realize that the reason of this is marijuana use. So we decide to go back on our word and make it illegal. Only then will we realize the mistake- there is no going back on any law we make. Marijuana use will increase, so we stop. Now America is not only drunk and addicted to nicotine- but it is also on pot. So let's say we decide to be stubborn and legalize cocaine- I mean hey like you all say- "As long as they only do it to themselves and don't hurt anyone, it's fine we me!". I mean, if they keep it in their house what's the problem? So then we legalize cocaine and what a surprise!- Death rates increase, American citizen qualities decrease. Hm maybe not such a good idea? Well, it's OK- we'll just make it illegal again! Hm- seems cocaine use has only increased... guess we should stop. Now America is drunk, addicted to nicotine, using pot, and using cocaine.

Do I really need to make it any clearer than that?

snex

Smash Master
sandtiger's argument would work if only it relied on facts, instead of his imagination. 2 points for trying though.

marijuana has never been shown to be responsible for any death ever. marijuana *smoke* is carcinogenic, but the quantity required to actually cause cancer is more than the average smoker can smoke, and there are ways to take it without smoking it.

marijuana is not physically addictive.

your argument could equally be applied to red meat, butter, automobiles, sunlight, and pretty much *everything.*

Sandy

Smash Champion
Marijuana IS physically addictive. Why do you think people are called potheads? They're called addicts for a reason.

snex

Smash Master
people get addicted to marijuana in the same way they get addicted to gambling. NOT the same as nicotine or opium.

and really, do you think a stereotypical insult counts as evidence? why dont you try citing a scientific study that establishes addiction.

Sandy

Smash Champion
why dont you try citing a scientific study that establishes addiction.
Addiction to marijuana is severe due to its affect on the user's brain. Scientists now know many facts about marijuana's effect on the body and how delta-9-tetrahydrocannabinol (THC), the major active chemical in Marijuana, acts in the human brain. When marijuana is smoked, THC travels quickly through the body and into the brain where it unites with specific receptors on nerve cells. Areas of the brain with the most receptors affected by THC are parts of the brain that control pleasure, thought, memory, sensory, concentration, time perception, and coordination. It's these areas of the brain that are most likely to be affected when an individual faces marijuana addiction.
Cite: http://www.marijuanaaddiction.info/

How's that for a scientific study?

snex

Smash Master
a propaganda website is not a scientific study. what experiment was performed that established addiction? showing that it has chemical effects in the brain (chocolate shares most of these same effects!) is not establishing addiction.

Sandy

Smash Champion
Well, there's this

No one would argue that marijuana is as addictive as alcohol or cocaine. However, it's wrong to say that it is not at all addictive. More and more studies are finding that marijuana has addictive properties. Both animal and human studies show physical and psychological withdrawal symptoms from marijuana, including irritability, restlessness, insomnia, nausea and intense dreams. Tolerance to marijuana also builds up rapidly. Heavy users need 8 times higher doses to get the same effects as infrequent users.

For a small percentage of people who use it, marijuana can be highly addictive. It is estimated that 10% to 14% of users will become heavily dependent. More than 120,000 people in the US seek treatment for marijuana addiction every year. Because the consequences of marijuana use can be subtle and insidious, it is more difficult to recognize signs of addiction. Cultural and societal beliefs that marijuana cannot be addictive make it less likely for people to seek help or to get support for quitting.
Cite: http://www.brown.edu/Student_Services/Health_Services/Health_Education/atod/marijuana.htm#6

snex

Smash Master
this is also not a scientific study, nor does it even have references for these assertions. its a disgrace that such a poor article appears on a university website. if i were a professor, i would give it an F.

marijuana_propaganda said:
It is estimated that 10% to 14% of users will become heavily dependent.
how were these numbers arrived at? do you even ask these kinds of questions when you see these kinds of claims? if the answer aint there or aint referenced, then it aint evidence.

cF=)

Smash Lord
I wasn't talking about laced, specifically. But different levels of doping have caused problems when a user buys from a dealer who didn't dope as much as their own did and they ODed without knowing it.
Quick fact: you don't overdose from marijuana. There is no known LD50 statistics on this drug, and so far, nobody has been found dead from taking too much cannabis. Websites you'll see posting such claims are wrong, and often mistake death from marijuana with death from a drug mix including marijuana.

-- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LD50_of_THC
-- http://erowid.org/psychoactives/health/psychoactives_ld50s.shtml

If you restrict it and have standards (This product must contain at least x amount of ____ and no more than x by weight/volume) you control the effects it has and people know what they are getting and how powerful it is.
Unlike pills or injected drugs, knowing the strain, smell and overall structure of your weed can help you guess its potency. The smoker doesn't suddenly launch in outer space after a hit, that's mistaking weed with salvia. Like drinking a beer, you slowly feel the effects. Strong potency or not, you'll soon know if you took enough for your money.

In economics, they call that substitution effect, like Splenda versus Sweet'nLow. They both do about the same thing but if you prefer Sweet'nLow and the price doubles but Splenda doesn't, you might pick up Splenda just because you can't afford to buy Sweet'nLow at the moment.
This is perfectly right, but how was that related again?

To SandTiger: Marijuana is not physically addictive, although you can get psychologically addicted to it, just like anything else. If you have an addictive personality, nothing can save you from craving chocolate bars, love from siblings or video games. You should also take a look at the first link I posted, it's cool to debate stuff that aren't made up like you're doing right now.

Gamer4Fire

PyroGamer
BRoomer
Quick fact: you don't overdose from marijuana. There is no known LD50 statistics on this drug, and so far, nobody has been found dead from taking too much cannabis. Websites you'll see posting such claims are wrong, and often mistake death from marijuana with death from a drug mix including marijuana.
Quick Fact: I wasn't talking about only cannabis. The scope of my argument was for the legalization of all drugs, cannabis included.

Unlike pills or injected drugs, knowing the strain, smell and overall structure of your weed can help you guess its potency. The smoker doesn't suddenly launch in outer space after a hit, that's mistaking weed with salvia. Like drinking a beer, you slowly feel the effects. Strong potency or not, you'll soon know if you took enough for your money.
Except I wasn't talking about only cannabis.

This is perfectly right[...]
Why, thank you for admitting it.

To SandTiger: Marijuana is not physically addictive, although you can get psychologically addicted to it, just like anything else. If you have an addictive personality, nothing can save you from craving chocolate bars, love from siblings or video games. You should also take a look at the first link I posted, it's cool to debate stuff that aren't made up like you're doing right now.
I don't think Sand Tigger knows what he's talking about. I think he just swallows whole anything his teachers give him without critical thought. I also think he just swallows.

cF=)

Smash Lord
In that case, we're in agreement. I just thought the thread title gave an insight of what we had to discuss.

DeadtoSin

Smash Apprentice
this is also not a scientific study, nor does it even have references for these assertions. its a disgrace that such a poor article appears on a university website. if i were a professor, i would give it an F.

how were these numbers arrived at? do you even ask these kinds of questions when you see these kinds of claims? if the answer aint there or aint referenced, then it aint evidence.
Snex, I think that marijuana should be legalized. However, just like in the God topic, you berate people for not giving out any information. Then, you fail to find any information for yourself. Find a university study that backs up your idea if you are going to berate people. I'm not going to tell either of you that you are wrong on the subject, I just stated my beliefs on it. My beliefs don't require a university study.

Since you want the numbers so bad, I really suggest that you find them since you have posted multiple times about how bad his websites are.

Again, I want to reiterate that I think marijuana should be legalized. I think that it would be smart for multiple reasons. First of all, the American government cannot control what goes into an illegal substance. This can cause any substance to be dangerous if there is not careful oversight. I believe this is fine, because I have seen more people addicted to heroin than I have marijuana. (I've never met one person that was really and truly addicted to marijuana.)
Personally, I'd like there to be a pretty heavy tax on marijuana. The tax should be at least as heavy as tobacco is. I think that this would help the regulation of marijuana, and bolster political support from the conservative wing who typically is against marijuana but needs more government revenue to balance the books.

snex

Smash Master
you are the one that made a claim. claiming that it is addictive is not a matter of belief or opinion. it is a matter of science. if you dont got the science, then dont tell lies and pretend you do.

this is why i berate people. they tell lies. stop lying and ill be respectful.

DeadtoSin

Smash Apprentice
I made no claim as to it being addictive. I think you might be confusing me with another person.

Sandy

Smash Champion
People and drugs - the police don't do enough

So because 10% of drug users actually harm others/ruin their own lives, the other 90% of us have to suffer? Just because one kid who plays a shoot-em-up game goes and kills someone because of it, no one else should be allowed to play that game? It's the same argument. The dip****s who allow drugs to ruin their lives are the ones who get all the publicity, the only ones you ever hear about, to the point where a lot of people think that an unrealistic percentage of drug users live terrible lives because of the drugs.

When you actually get out into the world and meet people and try things, you realize it's not all like the media, your parents, and your preacher say it is. Remember when you first found out marijuana's not really as harmful as everyone makes it out to be? Well, consider this post the time you found out that the rest of the drugs you've always thought were terrible aren't actually as bad as everyone makes them out to be.

Gamer4Fire

PyroGamer
BRoomer
I meant TigerLily- uh SandTiger. She and snex were going back and forth about how addictive cannabis isn't.

Sandy

Smash Champion
Marijuana is actually safer than tobacco or even alcohol.
source

It still causes mental illness. Which isn't very nice, is it?

I believe legalizing marijuana can have both positive and negative effects on today's economy. Because i looked further into the subject , i think it would be more of a negative idea rather than positive...

---------------------------------

If marijuana is legalized for medicinal purposes, there will be an increase in the crime rate as there are people in society who will do anything in order to gain marijuana or to traffic it in order to gain wealth.

When more people claim that they need to use marijuana for medicinal purposes, there will be an increase for the “need” of marijuana and therefore more prescriptions will be handed out to people. When that happens, doctors may be unknowingly putting themselves in danger. “Doctors may become part of the black market by handing out prescriptions to those who want it rather than those who need it.” When this happens police will have investigate who the source was, and if they don’t arrest the doctor, they are wasting time because they had investigate this case while they could have been doing something else.

Another reason why the government should not legalize marijuana is there are people out there willing to take advantage of innocent bystanders in order to fulfill their own deeds. For instance, in Winnipeg on October 20th, 2005, the RCMP found twenty-five Chinese immigrants squeezed into a 700 square foot house to take care of marijuana plants. One person didn’t even know that she was doing something illegal, and the majority of them had never even seen marijuana before let alone heard of it. If the government and the voters allow the legalization of marijuana, more cases similar to this one will emerge where innocent people are being taken advantage.

Lastly, ever since Ottawa has loosened their hold on marijuana laws, there has been a record amount of charges for possession of marijuana that is over fifteen grams. “‘The police reported drug-crime rate has risen to an estimated 42 per cent since the early 1990s and now stands at a 20-year high.’” From the words of Charles Gordon, a reporter of Times-Herald (Moose Jaw, SK), even if marijuana is legalized, all the shady characters associated will not suddenly disappear and become professional businessmen/women, because growing marijuana for trafficking is still illegal, and some people may ship it to the States to sell, which is even worse because in the United States of America, marijuana is still illegal and then the person trafficking the drug may also be breaking laws that cross the borders of Canada.

The legalization of marijuana will cause many to become addicts of this drug and the Canadians will eventually be paying for the assistance of those people.

When marijuana is legalized, families of marijuana addicts will have to pay the price. “Addicts are willing to spend their entire life savings on purchasing the drug. If marijuana remains illegal, fewer people will go into debt to buy the drugs, thus decreasing the amount the government will pay for the social assistance of these addicts.” When people are willing to do this, the social-economic status of that particular family will plummet, therefore affecting the community because this will mean more social assistance programs for the addicts and their family because the family may have to go programs such as the Salvation Army to obtain the bare necessities.

Due to the fact that some addicts are willing to plunge themselves and their family into debt, the family will not function in society. “Fewer families will become dysfunctional as a result of marijuana use.” Every unit in the family affects another, if one unit of the family has an extremely bad temper, is addicted to some form of drugs etc., it will reflect in their children’s behavior or grades, or in the attitude of their spouses.

Finally, some people may argue that marijuana is not an addictive drug, however according to the Canadian Foundation for Drug Policy; marijuana is a dangerous and addictive drug. “The most likely adverse effects of smoking cannabis are bronchial irritation, the risk of accidents when intoxicated, dependence, and possible cognitive impairment with heavy, long-term use.” If marijuana is such an addictive drug, why do people suggest using it?

There are many Canadians that are under the impression that marijuana is helpful for some diseases, but the truth remains that marijuana will worsen a person’s condition then it was before.

When a person uses marijuana to relieve their pain, they run the risk of relying solely on this drug for pain relief. “The use of marijuana as a pain control may cause patients to rely solely on the drug rather than medical treatment.” When this happens, certain necessary treatments in Canada’s health care system may be deemed useless by the government because there aren’t enough people receiving the treatment, and
therefore, the government may not fund the treatment. Marijuana also has negative effects on the brain.

Some effects of marijuana on a person’s mental health is: a) a high release of dopamine in the brain, causing hallucinations, b) if the person’s family has a history of schizophrenia, marijuana can trigger psychotic episodes, c) schizophrenia itself, d) depression, e) anxiety, f) people who smoke marijuana are five times more likely to become very violent. These are just some of the mental problems created while using marijuana. Some physical symptoms are: a) increases possibility of getting head and neck cancers, b) death. Contrary to popular belief, there are many marijuana deaths, it’s just that most of them are reported as accidental overdoses, c) over a long period of time, marijuana has the potential to cause damage to the lung tissue, in which can lead to diseases such as cancer or COPD, d) the ability of the cellular and pulmonary immunity decreases, e) inability to ward off herpes, f) unable to receive genital wart treatments, g) inability to drive, concentrate, and remember.

As a final point, according to the American Cancer Society, the American Glaucoma Society, the National Multiple Sclerosis Society, the American Academy of Pohthalmology, and the American Medical Association will say that there is no proof that marijuana has any medical use whatsoever. If there is no evidence that marijuana has any medical use, why legalize it when it can harm so many?

Gamer4Fire

PyroGamer
BRoomer
If marijuana is legalized for medicinal purposes, there will be an increase in the crime rate as there are people in society who will do anything in order to gain marijuana or to traffic it in order to gain wealth.
You mean like the illicit drug trade that already exists?

When more people claim that they need to use marijuana for medicinal purposes, there will be an increase for the “need” of marijuana and therefore more prescriptions will be handed out to people. When that happens, doctors may be unknowingly putting themselves in danger. “Doctors may become part of the black market by handing out prescriptions to those who want it rather than those who need it.” When this happens police will have investigate who the source was, and if they don’t arrest the doctor, they are wasting time because they had investigate this case while they could have been doing something else.
Like not arresting people for a non-violent, victimless crime?

Another reason why the government should not legalize marijuana is there are people out there willing to take advantage of innocent bystanders in order to fulfill their own deeds. For instance, in Winnipeg on October 20th, 2005, the RCMP found twenty-five Chinese immigrants squeezed into a 700 square foot house to take care of marijuana plants. One person didn’t even know that she was doing something illegal, and the majority of them had never even seen marijuana before let alone heard of it. If the government and the voters allow the legalization of marijuana, more cases similar to this one will emerge where innocent people are being taken advantage.
If cannabis is legal, they will start finding illegal pot plants in peoples homes... which would be legal. Riiiiiight.

Lastly, ever since Ottawa has loosened their hold on marijuana laws, there has been a record amount of charges for possession of marijuana that is over fifteen grams. “‘The police reported drug-crime rate has risen to an estimated 42 per cent since the early 1990s and now stands at a 20-year high.’” From the words of Charles Gordon, a reporter of Times-Herald (Moose Jaw, SK), even if marijuana is legalized, all the shady characters associated will not suddenly disappear and become professional businessmen/women, because growing marijuana for trafficking is still illegal, and some people may ship it to the States to sell, which is even worse because in the United States of America, marijuana is still illegal and then the person trafficking the drug may also be breaking laws that cross the borders of Canada.
Maybe they should just decriminalize it completely instead of creating have measures that put people in the position of accidentally holding too much at a time.

The legalization of marijuana will cause many to become addicts of this drug and the Canadians will eventually be paying for the assistance of those people.
We have already established that cannabis is not addictive in the physical sense.

When marijuana is legalized, families of marijuana addicts will have to pay the price. “Addicts are willing to spend their entire life savings on purchasing the drug. If marijuana remains illegal, fewer people will go into debt to buy the drugs, thus decreasing the amount the government will pay for the social assistance of these addicts.” When people are willing to do this, the social-economic status of that particular family will plummet, therefore affecting the community because this will mean more social assistance programs for the addicts and their family because the family may have to go programs such as the Salvation Army to obtain the bare necessities.
See above.

Due to the fact that some addicts are willing to plunge themselves and their family into debt, the family will not function in society. “Fewer families will become dysfunctional as a result of marijuana use.” Every unit in the family affects another, if one unit of the family has an extremely bad temper, is addicted to some form of drugs etc., it will reflect in their children’s behavior or grades, or in the attitude of their spouses.
Uhg.

Finally, some people may argue that marijuana is not an addictive drug, however according to the Canadian Foundation for Drug Policy; marijuana is a dangerous and addictive drug. “The most likely adverse effects of smoking cannabis are bronchial irritation, the risk of accidents when intoxicated, dependence, and possible cognitive impairment with heavy, long-term use.” If marijuana is such an addictive drug, why do people suggest using it?
You are some type of parrot IRL, aren't you?

There are many Canadians that are under the impression that marijuana is helpful for some diseases, but the truth remains that marijuana will worsen a person’s condition then it was before.
Which is why so many doctors use it to treat their patients, to harm them. Great buddy, just great.

When a person uses marijuana to relieve their pain, they run the risk of relying solely on this drug for pain relief. “The use of marijuana as a pain control may cause patients to rely solely on the drug rather than medical treatment.” When this happens, certain necessary treatments in Canada’s health care system may be deemed useless by the government because there aren’t enough people receiving the treatment, and
therefore, the government may not fund the treatment. Marijuana also has negative effects on the brain.
Yes, because morphine stops working as soon as you take a hit of cannabis. And when it is used by a doctor it isn't considered a "medial treatment" all of a sudden?

Some effects of marijuana on a person’s mental health is: a) a high release of dopamine in the brain, causing hallucinations, b) if the person’s family has a history of schizophrenia, marijuana can trigger psychotic episodes, c) schizophrenia itself, d) depression, e) anxiety, f) people who smoke marijuana are five times more likely to become very violent. These are just some of the mental problems created while using marijuana. Some physical symptoms are: a) increases possibility of getting head and neck cancers, b) death. Contrary to popular belief, there are many marijuana deaths, it’s just that most of them are reported as accidental overdoses, c) over a long period of time, marijuana has the potential to cause damage to the lung tissue, in which can lead to diseases such as cancer or COPD, d) the ability of the cellular and pulmonary immunity decreases, e) inability to ward off herpes, f) unable to receive genital wart treatments, g) inability to drive, concentrate, and remember.
Violent? Five times more likely to become violent? You are kidding us, right? You can't be that stupid. That is an olympic level of stupidity to post that.

As a final point, according to the American Cancer Society, the American Glaucoma Society, the National Multiple Sclerosis Society, the American Academy of Pohthalmology, and the American Medical Association will say that there is no proof that marijuana has any medical use whatsoever. If there is no evidence that marijuana has any medical use, why legalize it when it can harm so many?
Yes, all of those doctors are using medicinal marijuana because it has no medicinal- wait a minute!

cF=)

Smash Lord
It still causes mental illness. Which isn't very nice, is it?
-- http://www.webmd.com/mental-health/news/20030701/heavy-marijuana-use-doesnt-damage-brain

I'm posting this even if you had absolutely nothing to show regarding that statement.

Slippery slope, provide proof.

When more people claim that they need to use marijuana for
medicinal purposes, there will be an increase for the “need” of marijuana and therefore more prescriptions will be handed out to people. When that happens, doctors may be unknowingly putting themselves in danger. “Doctors may become part of the black market by handing out prescriptions to those who want it rather than those who need it.” When this happens police will have investigate who the source was, and if they don’t arrest the doctor, they are wasting time because they had investigate this case while they could have been doing something else.
No, this is from your imagination. Else, give me a proof.

If the government and the voters allow the legalization of marijuana, more cases similar to this one will emerge where innocent people are being taken advantage.
You still do it! You pull words out of nowhere and make them sound like an argument.

You still have to prove addiction, which are you weren't able to so far.

This wall of sadness, althought impressive, is a lie you just made up. The downward spiralling you describe as soon as the word "drug" appear in your sentence is outstanding. Prejudices after another, you still make use of imaginative scenarios to portray the average drug user, someone who kept failing and had to use terrible and life-breaking substances to ruin his existence.

Again, drugs a portrayed in a negative way with your unbacked propaganda. You don't understand the effects of a drug, you don't get that drug users are normal people, everybody uses drugs, just like homosexuals aren't Satan incarnated. Drugs like marijuana are classified psychedelics, which by definition means a manifestation of the mind. On cannabis, you don't become a killer, nor a bad person, nor a non productive member of society, the effects are a magnification of your thoughts, a new perspective of reality, a scope into universe. As the psychedelic effects increase from drugs to drugs from that same family, cannabis to dmt as an example, you will feel deeper introspective experiences. Now, how can a higher serotonin level turn you into a potential beast?

“The most likely adverse effects of smoking cannabis are bronchial irritation, the risk of accidents when intoxicated, dependence, and possible cognitive impairment with heavy, long-term use.”
You'd still have to show me studies proving cognitive impairment and dependence.

Your name, when entered in some scientific calculus, can provide valid information if you'll one day fall in love with someone else's name. Now prove me wrong.

Marijuana also has negative effects on the brain.
At that point, you may not receive gifts at Christmas.

a) a high release of dopamine in the brain, causing hallucinations
Hallucination is a big word, and even then, how's that related to health status?
b) if the person’s family has a history of schizophrenia, marijuana can trigger psychotic episodes
Sure thing, which is why you shouldn't take drugs in the first place. I'm hold responsible if I decide to eat food I'm allergic to, so avoid weed if you have latent schizophrenia.
d) depression
This is not the case, an increased serotonin and dopamine level means happiness. This is how antidepressants primarily work.
e) anxiety
Some people get afraid when doing drugs, some even have small episodes of paranoia (in cases of bad trips). If you trigger these reactions and don't feel it's worth it, don't do it for christ sake!

f) people who smoke marijuana are five times more likely to become very violent. These are just some of the mental problems created while using marijuana. Some physical symptoms are: a) increases possibility of getting head and neck cancers, b) death. Contrary to popular belief, there are many marijuana deaths, it’s just that most of them are reported as accidental overdoses, c) over a long period of time, marijuana has the potential to cause damage to the lung tissue, in which can lead to diseases such as cancer or COPD, d) the ability of the cellular and pulmonary immunity decreases, e) inability to ward off herpes, f) unable to receive genital wart treatments
Inventive use of your brain to think of false information. You haven't provided sources, you keep repeating arguments that have been debated before and shown wrong because they are scare tactics, and you go as far as saying it causes cancer:

-- http://www.sciam.com/article.cfm?articleID=0002491F-755F-1473-B55F83414B7F0000

g) inability to drive, concentrate, and remember.
Under substances, you should never drive or operate heavy machinery. There are are basic rules that, I understand, must be enforced: As with drunk driving, no high driving is completely understandable. As for concentration and remembering, marijuana and other psychedelic sure disturb short term memory over the period of the trip. However, you don't suddenly loose all ability to remember afterwards, you won't loose the precious moment you've spend with your dog, or the first time you threw a baseball to your beloved dad.

If there is no evidence that marijuana has any medical use, why legalize it when it can harm so many?
How could you go mentioning glaucoma patients and saying it has no benefits. The internet is half-full of websites stating otherwise when you google the keywords "cannabis glaucoma".

Well of course I'd like to sit around and chat
But someone's listening in...

Sandy

Smash Champion
Marijuana legal in Denver

The stupid thing is, it's only a city law, if you're caught anywhere else in the state, you're going to prison.

If you make a law like that, at least make it a Colorado law too, not just a Denver law.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom