• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

March 8th 2014, Ichthus Smash 64 Tournament, Lawrence, KS

Big Red Dog

Smash Rookie
The tournament will be held at Crossfit Ajax, at
110 riverfront rd. Suite A, Lawrence, Kansas 66044

Registration will begin at 2:00, and the tournament will begin at 3:00. (If the KU game starting at 11:00 goes to OT, this might be shifted back to 2:30 and 3:30). If there are somehow more than 64 people in attendance, only the first 64 will be entered.

Tournament Details
- 1$ entry fee, first prize wins 75%, second prize 25% (this may be changed depending on the reception on this and the smashboards post)

- 1v1

- Double Elimination

- There will be 4 bracket pools with no more than 16 players per pool (though I'm expecting pools to be around 8). 4 CRT TVs will be available with each pool playing on one TV throughout

- The top two in each pool will advance to the top 8, which will be seeded based on total net stock difference in pool play. Losses will be reset for the top 8, which will be double elimination also

Rules

Matches
- Each match will be a "3 character battle." If you are confused, it's like this video but with only 3 characters each instead of all 12. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mbr2abFQw4s. An example against a CPU will be performed 15 minutes before the tournament starts.

- Each player must choose three different characters

- You get 4 stocks with each character (the first round might be 3 depending on the number of entrants)

- The picks for first character will be double blind.

- After you have chosen one character, you are locked in to that character until you lose your 4 stocks.

- After the first individual battle, the player that loses chooses the stage for the next battle. If they keep the same stage, the winner must keep their character. If they change stage, the winner then picks their next character, and finally the loser chooses their next character (Pen and paper will be provided to prevent confusion in how many stocks you have remaining).The winner will then suicide as necessary until they are down to the stocks they ended with the battle before and play will start when their invincibility is up (damage from the previous battle will not be replaced). This will be repeated until only one character has stocks remaining.

- In pool play, if one player loses two full characters before the other player loses their first one, the match will be ended prematurely.

- At the end of the match, report the winner and the number of stocks remaining (for tiebreaking purposes) to the Tournament Director. If the stocks are not reported at the time, it will be assumed the winner had one stock remaining.

Stages
- Each match will start on either Hyrule Castle or Dreamland for the first battle, if competitors can't agree either flip a coin or rock paper scissors
- Legal stages are Peach's Castle, Congo Jungle, Hyrule Castle, and Dreamland.
- If both players agree, any stage may be played

Controllers
- Controllers will be provided but it is recommended that you bring your own controller if you can. Any players accused of using modified controllers that give an advantage may be assessed a penalty up to disqualification

Items
- Item switch will be turned to off

Other Rules
- No pausing, pausing will result in a loss of stock if your opponent enforces it.

The rules are subject to change between now and the day of the tournament, if you have a suggestion post here or search for "Ichthus Smash 64 Tournament" on facebook and post there

rpotts

Smash Lord
Alright guys, this is my bro's first tourney he's hosted and he wants to use this non-traditional 3 char battle format. Help us make it awesome. Any ideas on how to format the matches? Double blind team picks or alternating picks? Stage selection for loser / char lock / isais 12 char battle ruleset? Ways to help the tourney flow for non-competitive players? Starting / CP stages? Any other comments or criticism?

Big Red Dog

Smash Rookie
That's just what the entry fee is now, it will be somewhere between $1 and $5. I was going to do free but I just wanted to make things a little interesting.

Chaostatic

Smash Apprentice
Gotchya. I can't say for certain,
but I would imagine that most people would want an entry fee of at least 5 dollars.

IMO most people are pretty confident when it comes to this game. If the prize money is distributed from the entry fees, then I feel like people generally prefer a higher entry fee.

And by higher I mean like 5 is perfect and 10 is kind of pushing it lmao.

For locals, that is. Tournaments like Apex are obv hella different.

Top Bottom