• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[March 7th @2pm est] DCUgaming - "Smash.It.Up" Wii U Tournament

CgWorldNation97

Smash Cadet
NNID
CgWorldNation97
3DS FC
0061-1490-9622
http://challonge.com/ex0vxpfy
On March 7th, 2015, DCUgaming will bring a "Smash.It.Up" Super Smash Bros. Tournament on Twitch. Hosted by DCUgaming members (AtomicBlast360 aka Atomic, InSaiyan, and Cosmic). All the matches from both brackets are planned to be streamed on Twitch.tv that day. We will put a 32 contestant limit on the tourney.
Entering: Enter using your aliases/NNID works best to enter opponents the fastest.
example (InSaiyan/CgWorldNation98)
THE FOLLOWING RULES APPLY:
  • Game Settings: 2 Stock, 5 Minute Time Limit, Items Off, Equipment Off, 2/3 Games
  • Custom moves are allowed.
  • Starter stages: Battlefield, Final Destination, Smashville, Town & City
  • Counter-pick stages: Castle Siege, Delfino Plaza, Duck Hunt, Halberd, Lylat Cruise & Kong Kungle
  • Winning player is not locked into the same character for the next match, but has to pick before loser selects character.
  • You may not choose a stage you have already won on unless mutually agreed to.
  • ALL PLAYERS MUST FRIEND THE STREAMER'S NNID: CgWorldNation97
Day of tourney, go to the Twitch the DCUgaming twitch account to as the chatroom for your opponents and the stream at the earliest @1pm EST before the tourney starts at @2PM EST.
DCUgaming Twitch Channel:http://www.twitch.tv/dcugaming

Last edited:

CgWorldNation97

Smash Cadet
NNID
CgWorldNation97
3DS FC
0061-1490-9622
http://challonge.com/ex0vxpfy
On March 7th, 2015, DCUgaming will bring a "Smash.It.Up" Super Smash Bros. Tournament on Twitch. Hosted by DCUgaming members (AtomicBlast360 aka Atomic, InSaiyan, and Cosmic). All the matches from both brackets are planned to be streamed on Twitch.tv that day. We will put a 20 contestant limit on the tourney because this is the first tournament DCUgaming is hosting.
Entering: Enter using your aliases/NNID works best to enter opponents the fastest.
example (InSaiyan/CgWorldNation98)
THE FOLLOWING RULES APPLY:
  • Game Settings: 2 Stock, 5 Minute Time Limit, Items Off, Equipment Off, 2/3 Games
  • Custom moves are allowed.
  • Starter stages: Battlefield, Final Destination, Smashville, Town & City
  • Counter-pick stages: Castle Siege, Delfino Plaza, Duck Hunt, Halberd, Lylat Cruise & Kongo Jungle
  • Winning player is not locked into the same character for the next match, but has to pick before loser selects character.
  • You may not choose a stage you have already won on unless mutually agreed to.
  • ALL PLAYERS MUST FRIEND THE STREAMER'S NNID: CgWorldNation97
Day of tourney, go to the Twitch the DCUgaming twitch account to as the chatroom for your opponents and the stream at the earliest @1pm EST before the tourney starts at @2PM EST.
DCUgaming Twitch Channel:http://www.twitch.tv/dcugaming

atomicblast360

Smash Journeyman
NNID
AtomicBlast360
For anyone wondering, we tried to base the rule set around the EVO 2015 rule set, with minor tweaks decided by CgWorldnation97 such as having Kongo Jungle 64 a Counter Pick. For any questions on the tournament feel free to ask as this is our first tournament were hosting so we would like to hear feed back and suggestions.

CJ14r43

Smash Cadet
NNID
chukswag
3DS FC
4854-6956-3319
Switch FC
SW-4733-8968-8769
Signing up :D!!! Haven't applied for a tourney before in any way, so excuse my stupidity if I get lost.

Last edited:

Torterra

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Serranokids
3DS FC
4356-2568-8654
It says that there will be a 20 person cap, but there is only 16 on the bracket and I can't sign up. I'll get on the waiting list though.

CgWorldNation97

Smash Cadet
NNID
CgWorldNation97
3DS FC
0061-1490-9622
Hey you say that the player limit is 20, but its capped at 16?
It says that there will be a 20 person cap, but there is only 16 on the bracket and I can't sign up. I'll get on the waiting list though.
I apologies for not updating the smash boards posts of this, but I had to shrink the list by 4 to keep brackets even and small enough to stream both winner's and loser's. The next tournament should have a bigger cap, but until then I'm sorry for not updating the OP sooner.

CgWorldNation97

Smash Cadet
NNID
CgWorldNation97
3DS FC
0061-1490-9622
I apologies for not updating the smash boards posts of this, but I had to shrink the list by 4 to keep brackets even and small enough to stream both winner's and loser's. The next tournament should have a bigger cap, but until then I'm sorry for not updating the OP sooner.
Turns out Atomic wants the cap double now. SO if your still interested, join today

slavoslav

Smash Cadet
Do not stream the first round in winners, do not stream the first two rounds in losers.

The tournament will unironically take +10 hours with 32 participants if a set takes 10-12 minutes on average.

Last edited:

CgWorldNation97

Smash Cadet
NNID
CgWorldNation97
3DS FC
0061-1490-9622
Do not stream the first rounds in winners, do not stream the first two rounds in losers.

The tournament will unironically take +10 hours with 32 participants if a set takes 10-12 minutes on average.[/quote
That is going to be a problem that Atomic Didn't want to hear. I just wanted this to be a 16 cap originally, but atomic insisted to make it bigger.
We might make this a 2 day tourney or just stream semi matches and finals only.

AdamTheMechE

Smash Rookie
Reposting my suggestions here in case y'all check this more than the challonge site...

Hey TO's! Thanks for the tourney. I'm glad you are an online tourney that streams, and I'm excited for the next one!

Some of the technical problems this time I'm sure were just growing pains and they'll be ironed out in time, but I think there might be a few changes that could help with the tournament logistics:

1. In between game 1 and game 2 of a set, announce the players of the next game, and make them "check in" again in Twitch. This way, you make sure everyone is there for their match and you don't have to wait around.

a. If a player isn't there for their match (they don't check in on Twitch) you can either DQ them immediately or perhaps give them 1 warning, and skip them and come back to them. In that case, you'd announce the next pair.​

2. Have the players stage strike in Twitch chat. The way it worked today, every player picked whatever stage they wanted, and it was random who got their pick. This is probably fine for game 1, but usually game 2 the loser gets more control so they can counterpick.

3. Same goes for character choice for game 2. Usually, the winner has to commit to a character first, then the loser can counterpick.

4. Consider whether all matches need to be streamed. I really like that most matches were streamed, since it meant I could see the competition, but even with few players (lots of folks dropped out), it took a long time. Perhaps 1/4 of the first round games, 1/2 of the 2nd round, and all after that? That would cut out 11 matches, or a reduction of ~47% without losing much of the "high-level" play.

Anyhow, just wanted to put in my $0.02. Thank you again for the tournament. You guys definitely deserve a lot of credit for putting this thing on today. You definitely didn't let anything stop you from finishing it out!

CJ14r43

Smash Cadet
NNID
chukswag
3DS FC
4854-6956-3319
Switch FC
SW-4733-8968-8769
I was going to fight in the tourney. But just when it was my turn to fight, my internet mysteriously stopped working. I couldn't go online one anything. My Wii U, my computer, my phone. I am upset how my internet decided to act weird, especially at that time. Don't worry, I don't blame anyone. I hope I could participate in your future tourneys and not mess up.

PS. Maybe I shouldn't have the number 13 in my name.

CgWorldNation97

Smash Cadet
NNID
CgWorldNation97
3DS FC
0061-1490-9622
Reposting my suggestions here in case y'all check this more than the challonge site...

Hey TO's! Thanks for the tourney. I'm glad you are an online tourney that streams, and I'm excited for the next one!

Some of the technical problems this time I'm sure were just growing pains and they'll be ironed out in time, but I think there might be a few changes that could help with the tournament logistics:

1. In between game 1 and game 2 of a set, announce the players of the next game, and make them "check in" again in Twitch. This way, you make sure everyone is there for their match and you don't have to wait around.

a. If a player isn't there for their match (they don't check in on Twitch) you can either DQ them immediately or perhaps give them 1 warning, and skip them and come back to them. In that case, you'd announce the next pair.​

2. Have the players stage strike in Twitch chat. The way it worked today, every player picked whatever stage they wanted, and it was random who got their pick. This is probably fine for game 1, but usually game 2 the loser gets more control so they can counterpick.

3. Same goes for character choice for game 2. Usually, the winner has to commit to a character first, then the loser can counterpick.

4. Consider whether all matches need to be streamed. I really like that most matches were streamed, since it meant I could see the competition, but even with few players (lots of folks dropped out), it took a long time. Perhaps 1/4 of the first round games, 1/2 of the 2nd round, and all after that? That would cut out 11 matches, or a reduction of ~47% without losing much of the "high-level" play.

Anyhow, just wanted to put in my $0.02. Thank you again for the tournament. You guys definitely deserve a lot of credit for putting this thing on today. You definitely didn't let anything stop you from finishing it out!
InSaiyan: Thank you for the advice, and I personally felt that I was just overwhelmed since this was the first tourney we were hosting.Atomic suggested so many last minute decisions like 2x the original 16 participant bracket and then adding himself in the tournament, which he gets quite competitive and puts stress on me dealing with his placement throughout the stream.
Not only that, but he was 3 hours late picking me up to start the 1 pm. check in, and not to mention the tech problems of restarting his computer in order to get my elgato to work cause about 1/2 of the players to leave.

We are going to host a smaller 16 player tourney this friday, with clear intention of just streaming winner bracket matches and Cosmic will be able to help. I'm the one that mainly deals with the tech while atomic and cosmic do Co-Commentary, the twitch chat and bracket. So from everything that went wrong yesterday, this tourney should go a lot better.

Top Bottom