• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[Mar 8, 2015] Mute City II (Melee/Smash 4) (Charlotte, NC)

RedmanSSBM

Improving My Process

Bi-Weekly Super Smash Bros Melee/Smash4 Tournament in Charlotte NC
To get to this room from the main floor. If you take the elevator, it is on the " 3rd floor. Take a left once you get out of the elevator and there will be a hallway on the left. 340 GHI is at the end of the hallway.
Parking is free by the student union. I will be posting a picture of UNCC with the best place to park.
---IF YOU CAN, PLEASE BRING SMASH 4 SETUPS---

Even just a console helps
-----------------------------------------------------------------

Doors open at 12:00 PM
Melee Teams will start between 1:00-1:30 PM
Smash 4 will start around 1:00-1:30 PM
Melee will start around 3:00 PM
Smash 64 side tourney **info below**
Signups end when tournaments start.

Please note: if you are late to your match by 15 minutes at the discretion of the TOs, you will be disqualified into the loser's bracket or out of the tournament. We do not need people to be holding up the bracket as we want to finish in a timely manner.
Entree Fees and such:
Venue Fee - Free since we get the venue for free
Setup Fee - $5, completely waived for full setup, $2 off for just a CRT or a console. This is incentive for bringing setups to help things run smoothly.
Entry Fee - $10 per team ($5 per person) and $5 for Singles

Payout:

Singles:
60%/30%/10%
If bracket is 32 players or larger
50%/25%/15%/10% payout
Doubles:
70%/30% if there are less than 8 teams.
otherwise:
60%/30%/10%

Melee & Smash 4 Apex Ruleset:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/74563582/Apex/Apex2015_Rulebook.pdf

2 stocks, 6 minutes, best of 3 (Finals are best of 5)
Timeout - Winner determined by stocks->%->1 stock 3 minute match

Smash 4 Stage Selection:
Starters:
Battlefield
Final Destination
Smashville

Counterpicks:
Castle Siege
Delfino Plaza
Duck Hunt
Halberd
Lylat Cruise
Town & City
Omega Stages(considered same stage as FD for banning process)

Striking: RPS, winner strikes 1 stage, player 2 strikes second stage.
2 bans from winner during counterpicking.

You may not choose a stage that you have already won on.
Players may agree to use other rulesets.

Smash 64 will be ran sometime after melee top 8 if there are at least 10 people interested in it and there are at least 2 full smash 64 setups.

Last edited:

Ironf1st

Smash Rookie
Mute City 2 Boys
HYPEHYPEHYPE!

Edit: I will be bringing a console, sorry I don't have a tv I can bring :(

Last edited:

The_Most_Effectual

Smash Apprentice
NNID
EarthBoundNerdC
Hi, I live in the Charlotte area and I am completely new to Competitive Smash. I've never once attended a tournament, but my friend and I are trying to get involved with our local community and this seemed really convenient. Not really sure if it's protocol to ask things like this, but is this a get-together that's open to beginners, or would we just more likely get in the way? Again, I'm totally new to all this so I really hope my cluelessness doesn't offend anyone. Thanks.

RedmanSSBM

Improving My Process
Hi, I live in the Charlotte area and I am completely new to Competitive Smash. I've never once attended a tournament, but my friend and I are trying to get involved with our local community and this seemed really convenient. Not really sure if it's protocol to ask things like this, but is this a get-together that's open to beginners, or would we just more likely get in the way? Again, I'm totally new to all this so I really hope my cluelessness doesn't offend anyone. Thanks.
We would be glad to have any newcomers attend our tournament series! We're all really friendly and willing to help newer players come. This tournament is for people of all skill levels, even beginners can join and enter any tournament they desire. It would be great to see you there :)

Ironf1st

Smash Rookie
I saw that you guys have plans for melee doubles, are there any plans for smash 4 doubles as well? I'm aware time constraints are something to consider, I'm just curious as to whether it's been given any thought at all, since I have been trying to find more local events that do smash 4 doubles! Also, I saw that the ruleset plans on sticking to the apex ruleset, but it that just out of convenience, or there some specific reason for it? The reason I ask this is because as the smash 4 community continues to incorporate customs in to major tournaments and tests them out, I figured more and more TO's would be trying to incorporate customs in to tourney's around the country. It's perfectly fine if you don't want to have them, that doesn't really increase or lessen the hype for me either way, I'm just curious I guess *shrug*.

RedmanSSBM

Improving My Process
I saw that you guys have plans for melee doubles, are there any plans for smash 4 doubles as well? I'm aware time constraints are something to consider, I'm just curious as to whether it's been given any thought at all, since I have been trying to find more local events that do smash 4 doubles! Also, I saw that the ruleset plans on sticking to the apex ruleset, but it that just out of convenience, or there some specific reason for it? The reason I ask this is because as the smash 4 community continues to incorporate customs in to major tournaments and tests them out, I figured more and more TO's would be trying to incorporate customs in to tourney's around the country. It's perfectly fine if you don't want to have them, that doesn't really increase or lessen the hype for me either way, I'm just curious I guess *shrug*.
Smash 4 doubles will be considered after this tournament with Smash 4 singles. If singles does pretty well then we will consider running Smash 4 doubles. I like the idea and I'd be willing to try it out in the future.

We'd like to allow custom moves for sure, there just isn't an easy way to get all of the custom moves unlocked for every character unless we use a 3DS system to transfer move sets slowly or use the turbo controller method to just sit there and unlock customs for a while. I like the idea of custom moves and I'd like to add them in, but we haven't formulated an exact plan to tackle it. We use the Apex ruleset because it's the standard most people follow with the exception of banning customs, as we will look into them.

We might even make Smash 4 have 3 stocks instead of 2 if I feel like the time it takes up isn't that much. It's a lot of testing and experimenting to see what works, so it may be a while before we can really go through with a lot of these things.

Thanks for bringing up the interest though, your feedback is noted. :)

The_Most_Effectual

Smash Apprentice
NNID
EarthBoundNerdC
Thanks! We'll definitely be there, then! Is there anything else in particular we should know/do before we come?

(I don't know how to quote posts yet, sorry)

RedmanSSBM

Improving My Process
Thanks! We'll definitely be there, then! Is there anything else in particular we should know/do before we come?

(I don't know how to quote posts yet, sorry)
Awesome! Bringing a setup for any of the games that we are running helps us out and it can take off of your setup fee, so if you bring anything, a setup is highly recommended.

To quote someone, just click on "Reply" on the bottom right-hand corner of the comment you want to reply to.

xD4nish

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
5000-3782-0400
Hey there Locke Robster. Just for clarification purposes, the Melee registration will end a little before the Melee tournament starts, and Smash 4 registration will end a little before Smash 4 starts? Its not like registration for all games will close when Melee starts, right?

RedmanSSBM

Improving My Process
Hey there Locke Robster. Just for clarification purposes, the Melee registration will end a little before the Melee tournament starts, and Smash 4 registration will end a little before Smash 4 starts? Its not like registration for all games will close when Melee starts, right?
Yup! You got the right idea. We actually like to end registration at the posted times and we make the bracket once those times come, so like 10 minutes later the actual brackets start. You can enter a tournament any time before it starts and you should be fine.

Kevdo

Smash Cadet
Definitely going out to this. Although, I'd like to voice my opinion on an earlier comment.

The tournaments I've been to recently have not offered Smash 4 doubles yet, but people are always really hype about it. I think it's definitely something to consider for next time, especially if you want to have something unique about your tournament. Also, the 3 stock rule in Smash 4 has been gaining a lot of approval from players. I think most people prefer the 3 stock rule. The games don't take too long and it lets matches play out with a better flow, in my opinion.

Anyways, just my opinion on these topics. Would love to see them become the standard.

RedmanSSBM

Improving My Process
Definitely going out to this. Although, I'd like to voice my opinion on an earlier comment.

The tournaments I've been to recently have not offered Smash 4 doubles yet, but people are always really hype about it. I think it's definitely something to consider for next time, especially if you want to have something unique about your tournament. Also, the 3 stock rule in Smash 4 has been gaining a lot of approval from players. I think most people prefer the 3 stock rule. The games don't take too long and it lets matches play out with a better flow, in my opinion.

Anyways, just my opinion on these topics. Would love to see them become the standard.
Don't get me wrong, I really like these ideas but we need to test the bare minimum of Smash 4 before we try to expand. If we can handle Smash 4 singles 2 stock with ease, then we'll consider bumping the number of stocks to 3. If everything runs smoothly, then I think we can definitely do Smash 4 doubles (as I actually kind of like Smash 4 doubles, as a spectator). We just have to see how it goes for tomorrow.

Foo

Smash Lord
So, will the next one have PM and be on the 22nd?

Also, the more PM the better. PM should at least take priority over doubles since all doubles ever does is make tournaments run really slowly and end later than planned. If PM is here every time, I'd probably come a lot. Also, it'd be a good idea to post these threads earlier so that people have time to request off for work and stuff like that.

Last edited:

RedmanSSBM

Improving My Process
So, will the next one have PM and be on the 22nd?

Also, the more PM the better. PM should at least take priority over doubles since all doubles ever does is make tournaments run really slowly and end later than planned. If PM is here every time, I'd probably come a lot. Also, it'd be a good idea to post these threads earlier so that people have time to request off for work and stuff like that.
Correct, the one on the 22nd will have PM unless we feel like we can run both Smash 4 and PM at the same time.

Doubles actually doesn't interfere that much as long as there's not a lot of crossover. We haven't had too much trouble with doubles in the past so we aren't going to change it. The earliest I will post these threads will be the day after the last tournament finished, but this one was posted a week before the tournament. Sorry if it's not early enough for some people to request off of work (I mean it's on a Sunday, so it affects very few people)

Foo

Smash Lord
Correct, the one on the 22nd will have PM unless we feel like we can run both Smash 4 and PM at the same time.

Doubles actually doesn't interfere that much as long as there's not a lot of crossover. We haven't had too much trouble with doubles in the past so we aren't going to change it. The earliest I will post these threads will be the day after the last tournament finished, but this one was posted a week before the tournament. Sorry if it's not early enough for some people to request off of work (I mean it's on a Sunday, so it affects very few people)

You'd be surprised. All of my local friends who play smash go to school and work part time, and that usually means working most sundays.

Ironf1st

Smash Rookie
So I have a console + gamecube adapter that I can bring for smash 4 tomorrow, and I also have a CTR I can bring for melee. Would combining the two wave the venue fee for one person, or do they have to be a full setup for either game to wave the venue fee?

RedmanSSBM

Improving My Process
Quick question what exactly is a setup fee?
It's incentive to bring a setup so that you don't have to pay it. We've had trouble in the past with not enough setups being brought and by charging a small fee for those that don't bring one, we can use that to further develop the tournament. If you bring a full setup (TV and console) then you get this fee completely waived. If you bring a partial one (TV or console) you will get $2 off so you'll only have to pay $3.

So I have a console + gamecube adapter that I can bring for smash 4 tomorrow, and I also have a CTR I can bring for melee. Would combining the two wave the venue fee for one person, or do they have to be a full setup for either game to wave the venue fee?
Bringing a Smash 4 setup and a TV for melee should count as a full setup. Just as long as you bring both a TV and a console setup of the game of your choosing (gamecube adapters are important of course).

Steef

Smash Rookie
What is the latest time we could stay? I won't have a ride till later that night. I'm wondering when will y'all have to close shop.

RedmanSSBM

Improving My Process
What is the latest time we could stay? I won't have a ride till later that night. I'm wondering when will y'all have to close shop.
For this specific tournament that is tomorrow, we are going to have to be out of the room by 9:00pm. I would say that 8:30pm is the latest that you could stay, as we want to have everything cleaned up and packed out by that time. Usually, it's not like this, as it's wrapped up around 9:30pm or 10:00pm, but it's just this week it has to end a bit earlier because of Spring Break just coming back.

Steef

Smash Rookie
For this specific tournament that is tomorrow, we are going to have to be out of the room by 9:00pm. I would say that 8:30pm is the latest that you could stay, as we want to have everything cleaned up and packed out by that time. Usually, it's not like this, as it's wrapped up around 9:30pm or 10:00pm, but it's just this week it has to end a bit earlier because of Spring Break just coming back.
Thank you!

Kevdo

Smash Cadet
Had a lot of fun at the tourney, it was hype. Looking forward to the next time you guys host a Smash 4 tourney. Maybe doubles next time? And 3 stocks? Haha, good stuff nonetheless.

Ironf1st

Smash Rookie
Tourney was great, the turnout was actually a lot higher then I expected! Quick note tho, one of the smash 4 setups, specifically the one where we were using regular wii cords to use a smash 4 setup on a CRT, whoever's setup that was, they seem to have walked away with my gamecube adapter :/ if anybody knows anything about it, please either post in this thread or let me know, as those things are not cheap :(

RedmanSSBM

Improving My Process
Had a lot of fun at the tourney, it was hype. Looking forward to the next time you guys host a Smash 4 tourney. Maybe doubles next time? And 3 stocks? Haha, good stuff nonetheless.
Based on the fact that Smash 4 ran pretty smoothly with only 5 setups, I think we can safely have Smash 4 and PM be at the next Mute City. :)

We'll do Smash 4 doubles if there is not enough interest in Melee doubles to make a bracket (meaning less than 8 registered teams) but it will have to be ran at a later time than Smash 4 singles as to not have a lot of crossover.

@ Ironf1st Ironf1st It was you and Pi that were looking for the Adapter right? We'll put notifications out to see if it's just a mistake. Again, I'm really sorry that happened :(

Kevdo

Smash Cadet
Oh, if Smash 4 makes it into the next Mute City, I'm there already. It was great fun so I'm looking forward to more.

Ironf1st, sorry to hear about the adapter man. You were being a great community member for bringing out your stuff to help us with the tourney, so hopefully whoever took it realizes their mistake and returns it. On that note, a big thanks to everyone that brought setups. I'm sure everyone playing appreciates it.

Last edited:
Top Bottom