• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Many grabs or nah

Hinichii.ez.™

insincere personality
NNID
hinichii
3DS FC
2423-5382-7542
Chain Grabs; I talked to a friend about this briefly. What's your opinion on Mario's ability to repeatably chain throws together for free damage and do you use them? Say why you do or don't below.

I myself, use them. I've seen players as good, if not better than me win with and without them. So I'm curious to hear the views of the other Mario players.

I usually save them for more serious games, because I want to win above all else and neglect using them in friendlies. I don't view them as a crutch, because the people I beat using this, I could also beat without using it. There are cases, where this is the reason some players win, it just isn't the case for me.

Mario boards dead, conversations plz

gmBottles

Fun Haver
NNID
komfyking
I think that Mario has very good chaingrabs, especially on heavy characters and fast fallers. The best use for them in my opinion is to use them to extend a combo, instead of just chaining the grabs. Maybe up throw to u-airs, and then regrab when they reach the ground. Works well if you can read them well enough.

cod3kill

Smash Cadet
If you are playing to win, then it is stupid to not utilize every option a character has. So in a tournament setting I would always use chain grabs, it makes the match easier and increases my chances of winning. I chain grab if I want to win, and I almost always want to win. The only time I don't try to chaingrab is when I am playing someone I know is substantially worse than me or If I'm playing a very laid back friendly with someone.

Last edited:

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
Always use them, even in super friendlies

Hinichii.ez.™

insincere personality
NNID
hinichii
3DS FC
2423-5382-7542
Always use them, even in super friendlies
Any idea on why it seems like Gallo/cruzycakes and other top marios don't use it? I've heard some say they don't need it, I just haven't asked many people.

Last edited:

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
Not all Mario's are good at them (the thought is crazy but it's true). I can't speak for any other player, but for good players like those two I would assume that they are going for more pressuring setups instead of the guaranteed damage (If you can CG from 0-40%, but don't have many good followups after the last throw, you might incline to stop at 20% so that you can link a follow up after your Uair/Utilt/Usmash easier). The CG can also be misleading on some chars: it may look like it goes past 20% on character x, but only if they DI a direction. Neutral/No DI gets you out of the CG sooner, so they would then be forced to go for attacks

The context of the scenario may also matter: after grab at low %, somewhat close to the edge, might best be followed with a Smash or attack instead of another grab if they are DIing the throws towards the edge (to escape the CG). If that's going on, they might switch back DI towards center stage if you only go for the regrab and get close enough to the edge, so that they can avoid really early edgeguard situations and drift the CG back towards center stage. Fox might want to eat 50% instead of fall offstage at 20-30% and possible just die. Stuff like that may play into their decisions

Last edited:

Scatz

Smash Champion
So many factors that depend on them. In the event that you're playing seriously, you should be using what you can to get the edge over your opponent (that's why M2K is amazing once he gets grabs). The thing is, you have to be able to perform well if you can't set up your opponent to get grabbed as much, then you have to worry about where you grabbed them to get optimized damage or positional advantage.

I admit that I've been in this casual honor mode lately. That's likely to change since I feel like my punish game needs more optimizing that's not always praying off stray hits.

Hinichii.ez.™

insincere personality
NNID
hinichii
3DS FC
2423-5382-7542
My thing really tho, is when players, that are on the same level and higher than Gallo, chose to never use them. Like, most if not all of them, have some sorta follow up afterwords, where you could make some conversions, but they chose to not go for them, ever. Why is that? Like, I knew about the positioning and all that, just why do they never go for it?

EDIT: The only things that come to mind, are that they feel they don't need it/not their style of play or they just don't like the concept.

EDIT EDIT: cross up Dair is like the easiest way to setup grabs.

Last edited:

Scatz

Smash Champion
Up to them really. Nothing I can think of that would be similar to my thoughts (unless they knew of a way to maximize damage other than a CG).

JipC

Smash Journeyman
I try to use them, I just need to practice more. CPUs don't DI it a lot of the times so I think I'm going to set the GC controller so Left or Right is the neutral position and then keep practicing that. (just set it to evade plus I think CPUs do now)
Are there ever any positions where Mario CAN'T regrab if they DI too far to the side (not talking about DIing off ledge obviously)? The guy has some stubby arms.

Last edited:

MrM

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0087-2818-3212
Youre suppose to use them thats like marth not chain grabbing

Its easy percent and if you dont get greedy you get a free fsmash

Altanic

Smash Apprentice
I actually don't use chaingrabs a lot. I really only use them on Lucas' because you can CG until 50 and Lucas applies a lot of pressure so that is really useful. I mostly use them as a mixup tbh. I like to keep my distance with Mario and pressure with fireballs and jab combos.

Jonyc128

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Jonnyc64
I only start CG when I'm either down during the game, or I really want to win the match. I've been trying to implement more upsmashes with my grabs since it keeps them up and can lead to an easy fair kill, if they DI away.

JipC

Smash Journeyman
I think that Mario has very good chaingrabs, especially on heavy characters and fast fallers. The best use for them in my opinion is to use them to extend a combo, instead of just chaining the grabs. Maybe up throw to u-airs, and then regrab when they reach the ground. Works well if you can read them well enough.
I usually CG once or twice then start the combo
... mostly because I'm bad at reacting to extreme DI fast enough to catch them again so I only go for 2 - 3 grabs

yellowdee

Smash Apprentice
I really only u-throw the space animals. with the 3.5 changes, I enjoy getting the damage to around 65%, pummel a few tmes, dthrow, up-smash, dunk. I don't know if players can DI the downthow so that you'll whiff the smash, but that's my favorite thing to do now!

GeZ

Smash Lord
Going to necro this thread because **** it, it really is just because people have trouble with it and don't practice it. I'd really say that's it.

Top Bottom