• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Making the most out of Sonics grab.

jordanm43444

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Jordanm43444
Sonics grab is an amazing tool he has under his belt but a common theme I'm noticing between new/inexperienced Sonic mains is that no one seems to be using his grab as much as they could/should. Sonic actually gains a lot from his grab ranging from mixups/kills/combo strings. So I am gonna make a short guide (may edit it up later) explaining what each grab should be used for.

This guide will explain:
  • How to land a grab more successfully.
  • What your options are after a UThrow.
  • What your options are after a FThrow.
  • What your options are after a BThrow.
  • What your options are after a DThrow.

First things first, try to limit your use of trying to do Sonics dash grab. It has too many cons to try and make up for its very few pros. Due to it having just slightly more range.

Do not fret however, this is when shield cancelling spin charges come in handy.

If you do a run then start a spin charge and instantly shield it you should notice that you keep the momentum of your run with the shielding if you manage to do it fast enough. And since you can grab as soon as you shield press that Z button ASAP when you hit that shield. Don't worry about hearing the startup of the spin charge, this is 100% normal. When you think you have it down it should look something like this ( http://youtu.be/tVpp42K5mPw?t=4m22s )

If you can master this technique this should replace dash grabs completely, its infinitely a better option for long range coverage, maybe at close range as well.

Another good option is to try and combo into the grab, at relatively low percents, Sonics Neutral Air sour-spot sends the opponent at an angle where it should be possible to land a grab (seems to be unviable about above 50%)

Up throw is a very good combo string option at low percents for Sonic, easily leading into short hopped Up Airs for juggling potential.

If the opponent has terrible DI, at a certain percent(between 90-100 on mediums, i don't know about the rest of the weight classes), you can do uthrow>quick double jump>spring>uair for a guaranteed kill. That's IF the opponent's DI sucks. One character I constantly pulled this off on was Yoshi at 94% since they tend to think down+b will punish my spring approach in time.

At higher % though it could be a very good KO throw option if there is a high platform (Town & City, Battlefield) or a very low celling (Halberd, Town & City, transforming Delfino Plaza).

Overall Up throw shouldn't be an option used to widely but should be used at low percents to set up juggles.

Forward throw is a weird throw in the sense that it is extremely fast on startup and can send opponents flying, this should be mainly used as a "GET OFF ME" throw or at much higher % it can actually act as a kill throw.

In terms of followups you can get from it, its very limited, the angle the opponent gets sent at at around 50% usually allows for a Forward Air juggle but you wont get much past that.

Forward Throw should mostly be kept fresh for finishing up that pesky stock that just wont go away.

Back throw is good at getting your opponent off stage due to the high knock back potential, without any DI this also sends them at a straight angle and if you want to attempt to go for an offstage kill Back Throw may be Sonics best option for setting that up out of all his throws.

Also at higher % due to the throws high knock back it becomes a KO throw.

So for Back Throw should be used for either going for offstage kills or getting a KO in itself.

Down Throw is regarded by most new people picking up Sonic to be by far his worst throw, this is by FAR not the case at all. And is in fact quite the opposite.

Down Throw in general doesn't have any true follow-ups but is amazing at doing what you should be doing with it, tech-chasing.

Due to Down Throws very small window of cool down its possible to be instantly in your opponents face again and ready to read what they are going to do before they get a chance to do it, heck if you read it right you might even get another DThrow into them.

At a ledge and going off stage DThrow sends the opponent at a downwards diagonal angle towards the blast-zone, but don't rely on this killing, you should try and read how they plan to get back to the stage, if they go for the ledge, be prepared to ledge trump. If the want to simply jump back t the stage, you have enough time to make hem meet an aerial on the way there.

The only main problem with DThrow is if anyone is good and sees it coming due to the amount of hits it has, they can tech it pretty early and end up pretty close to you instead from where the actual knock back of the throw ends.

Welp, thats my guide, apologies if its hard to read or anything. Still getting accustomed to this formatting stuff. As short as it may be, if you want to learn you should learn some things even if I didn't go overly in-depth. If anyone wants to take a shot at going more in depth be my guest.

Last edited:

mario123007

HELLO, YOU HAVE ENTERED THE DUNK ZONE
NNID
mario123007
3DS FC
1521-3033-2948
Switch FC
SW-5739-4272-0700
Title utilising should be spelled 'Utilizing"...

Gregory2590

Smash Journeyman
NNID
phireblast
How about "Making use of" so regional grammar police forces don't get upset? Also, a little addition for Uthrow:

If the opponent has terrible DI, at a certain percent(between 90-100 on mediums, i don't know about the rest of the weight classes), you can do uthrow>quick double jump>spring>uair for a guaranteed kill. That's IF the opponent's DI sucks. One character I constantly pulled this off on was Yoshi at 94% since they tend to think down+b will punish my spring approach in time.

jordanm43444

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Jordanm43444
How about "Making use of" so regional grammar police forces don't get upset? Also, a little addition for Uthrow:

Cant seem to edit the title as it is, but thanks for that UThrow tip, completely forgot about it, ill add it in!

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
Editting the title is at the top of the thread/post.

It's sort of backwards compared to where the edit button is; but, look up there. That'll be your best best.

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
Should be accessed by hitting "Thread Tools" and "Edit Thread". There's an option there to adjust the title. There's a few ways to do it (or maybe just for me) but that's one way I believe.

To elaborate on sucky DI, at low percents, Uthrow > Uair won't work on most (all?) characters if they simply DI up.

Certain characters though have a really hard time avoiding Uthrow to Uair/DJ Uair/Spring Uair follow-ups, like Sheik.

Around 80-90% Sonic can Uthrow > Spring > Uair a lot of the cast as a true combo and it's hard for them to deal with it. I can't name exact characters with exact percents, but it definitely works (I think their best possible DI in these situations is DI'ing towards wherever Sonic is facing… Or maybe towards his back?

Also, you should mention that Dthrow can be teched and go into how that plays out for us as well.

:093:

jordanm43444

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Jordanm43444
Ill edit up the title and UThrow UAir stuff the now. As for DThrow though im sure I added that it could be teched early, but I dont know how that plays out for us :p

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
Ill edit up the title and UThrow UAir stuff the now. As for DThrow though im sure I added that it could be teched early, but I dont know how that plays out for us :p
Ah yes! I missed the last tidbit there.

I brought it up in the Skype a little while back but I'm curious about certain frame advantages/disadvantages we'd be put in if certain characters tech at what percents… Requires a lot of work, and thanks to Sm4sh's regrab rule, we definitely wouldn't be able to grab them again right after a tech.

Gregory2590

Smash Journeyman
NNID
phireblast
Ah, Dthrow techers. Here's what I do if (god forbid) that situation happens:

1. I pummel a bit beforehand so their timing gets screwed up upon execution of the throw

2. I do the throw anyway, and immdiately shield to defend against a counter attack. Sometimes instead of attacking, they'll escape instead. What can be done after that depends on the character, really. If it wasn't for sm4sh's dumb regrab mechanic, you could go for another grab if they decided to do a counter attack.

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
1. I pummel a bit beforehand so their timing gets screwed up upon execution of the throw
The animation for Dthrow is still long enough that they'd probably have time to adjust to it again anyway >_>
2. I do the throw anyway, and immdiately shield to defend against a counter attack. Sometimes instead of attacking, they'll escape instead. What can be done after that depends on the character, really. If it wasn't for sm4sh's dumb regrab mechanic, you could go for another grab if they decided to do a counter attack.
I feel like Sonic is actually safer after a Dthrow tech than he was in Brawl. You can't really get much of a follow-up, but it doesn't put your opponent in nearly as advantageous of a situation as it used to. It would probably only happen if they teched it from like 0-20% but you should be going for Uthrows that early on a stock anyway.
Ive actually never saw anyone tech DThrow when im playing so ill have to rely on other peoples inputs for it :p
It happens to me quite often.

At higher percents, if you're even somewhat close to the ledge, they usually go far enough that they can't tech and are offstage anyway.

Crabman

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Pipopolus
Something I'm wondering, is there any advantage to running up spin charge + grab as opposed to just running up and using shield + grab?

Also you don't have to shield cancel SC to be able to grab, you can just grab.

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
Something I'm wondering, is there any advantage to running up spin charge + grab as opposed to just running up and using shield + grab?
You mean spin dash. Spin charge can't be shield canceled.

Two things about SDSC grabs that are beneficial:
  1. You can start them earlier to get a slide so it's not quite as forecasted. Plus you can time a grab input before shield will even come out.
  2. If you just run and shield then grab, it'll most likely still buffer a dash grab. You'd have to let shield stay out for a moment so Sonic resets to neutral. Activating spin dash, then shield canceling, then canceling shield into grab makes it so Sonic does a standing grab out of run before ever seeing shield appear.
Also you don't have to shield cancel SC to be able to grab, you can just grab.
?

Crabman

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Pipopolus
You mean spin dash. Spin charge can't be shield canceled.

Two things about SDSC grabs that are beneficial:
  1. You can start them earlier to get a slide so it's not quite as forecasted. Plus you can time a grab input before shield will even come out.
  2. If you just run and shield then grab, it'll most likely still buffer a dash grab. You'd have to let shield stay out for a moment so Sonic resets to neutral. Activating spin dash, then shield canceling, then canceling shield into grab makes it so Sonic does a standing grab out of run before ever seeing shield appear.

?

Ah right, meant to say SD. Ok so it does have a few advantages over running up and shield grabbing, that's good to know.

And for the other part I meant you can simply hit the grab button while using spin dash, you don't have to shield cancel SD first and then grab. Unless that buffers a dash grab as well.

HeavyMetalSonic

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Bloodriot779
You mention using the Up throw combo against Yoshi and consistently getting the kill... I always seem to get punished for doing this. I have a friend who mains Yoshi and I know exactly what will happen if I go for that combo. Am I just doing it too slow? I end up getting Bombed and killed myself because I'm so close to the blast zone. So I tend to just opt out of that and go for forward or back throws depending on where I am on the stage against Yoshi. Other characters I don't really have problems with unless they DI.

Gregory2590

Smash Journeyman
NNID
phireblast
You mention using the Up throw combo against Yoshi and consistently getting the kill... I always seem to get punished for doing this. I have a friend who mains Yoshi and I know exactly what will happen if I go for that combo. Am I just doing it too slow? I end up getting Bombed and killed myself because I'm so close to the blast zone. So I tend to just opt out of that and go for forward or back throws depending on where I am on the stage against Yoshi. Other characters I don't really have problems with unless they DI.
It's probably how fast you're doing it+how his DI is, assuming he DIs it. When I do it, you have to act immediately after the up throw. This means jumping and double jumping quickly(don't wait for them to reach the apex of their jumps) followed by the spring stuff.

I shouldn't have said this was a "guaranteed" kill based on DI. There's also things like blast zones to factor in as well since some ceilings are stupidly high and whatnot.

HeavyMetalSonic

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Bloodriot779
It's probably how fast you're doing it+how his DI is, assuming he DIs it. When I do it, you have to act immediately after the up throw. This means jumping and double jumping quickly(don't wait for them to reach the apex of their jumps) followed by the spring stuff.

I shouldn't have said this was a "guaranteed" kill based on DI. There's also things like blast zones to factor in as well since some ceilings are stupidly high and whatnot.
Yeah... There's a lot of factors that make this combo possible. I mean don't get me wrong, it's easy to pull off, I've done it countless times... But when it comes to Yoshi, I always seem to get punished for trying it.

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
And for the other part I meant you can simply hit the grab button while using spin dash, you don't have to shield cancel SD first and then grab. Unless that buffers a dash grab as well.
Standing still, SideB does cancel directly into grab just by pressing it... But every time I tried doing it from a run, it doesn't buffer that way. I get a shield or other things that are not nearly as good as simply inputting shield then immediately inputting grab to cancel that.
Yeah... There's a lot of factors that make this combo possible. I mean don't get me wrong, it's easy to pull off, I've done it countless times... But when it comes to Yoshi, I always seem to get punished for trying it.
I normally won't do it against characters like Yoshi or Bowser unless I know it's guaranteed. Not worth the risk, but you can also bait them to use that option and punish afterwards... lol

It's easy on Sheik for some reason. It's the easiest on R.O.B. due to his huge hurtbox and lack of a defensive option. Just makes him prime for Uair strings.

cerealkiller

Smash Journeyman
In general I just avoid the Spring+Uair combo on Yoshi, Bowser and Link/ToonLink. I do it once, if they get me I then try something else.
For me it works better when they are not expecting it, that is, anything other than the upthrow which is more obvious. Sometimes when I grab them facing the ledge, instead of the downthrow I do the frontthrow sending them diagonally. When they are reaching back I go offstage, spring and Uair. It's not safe for them to use DownB there so they usually fall for this.

IWinToLose

Smash Apprentice
DThrow is great against people terrible at teching. It can lead to SC's if they miss the tech. At 20%-70 I usually do one down throw to see their teching habits and adjust through the rest of the match accordingly.

I'd avoid using DThrow against very experienced players who will tech it immediately. Some characters get guaranteed punishes IIRC (characters like Little Mac and Zamus with their 1 frame jabs). Keep in mind that if you UThrow immediately, sometimes it doesn't give the opponent enough time to input enough DI to avoid the follow up. This can lead to guaranteed UAirs or even FAir. I do this sometimes around 90-100% to fish for the UAir kill. However, note that this isn't much more damage than 2-3 pummels and may not work as planned if your opponent DI's immediately upon getting grabbed... Also, against Diddy (lesser threats include Ganon and Yoshi), if you mistime it a bit, you're probably dead.

Last edited:

ROOOOY!

Smash Master
NNID
Gengite
3DS FC
5456-0280-5804
Mix it up. At the moment your Yoshi friend (lol) is conditioned to Bomb you. If you uthrow then do an empty shorthop away just as an example then if they Bomb you can run in and punish be it with a grab or whatever. Hell, if they don't bomb you're in no worse of a position. The point is, if you're making them think twice about to commiting to a bomb, or like a tlink down air or whatever, their reaction time will be slower than if you just go for a uair star ko all the time so when you DO go for it its gonna be more effective. I myself get very few uair kills but then I don't tend to go for them, I'd rather bait a reaction and shark their landing.

:123:

Last edited:

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
Empty hops are my life's blood. It adds so much more to the grab and punish game.

If you always go for Uthrow Uair, or if you Uthrow at a percent that doesn't true combo to Uair, just empty jump… They'll almost always react with airdodge, then you punish that airdodge with a delayed Uair or a DJ Uair.

Same with deep Spring > Uair follow-ups. Characters who don't have good options below them will react with airdodge instinctively if you pursue them with spring… So just wait, then Uair.

I can't begin to count how often I pull this off. You obviously have to condition your opponent to it first, but it's not too difficult at all to make them fear springs and Uairs.

HeavyMetalSonic

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Bloodriot779
Mix it up. At the moment your Yoshi friend (lol) is conditioned to Bomb you. If you uthrow then do an empty shorthop away just as an example then if they Bomb you can run in and punish be it with a grab or whatever. Hell, if they don't bomb you're in no worse of a position. The point is, if you're making them think twice about to commiting to a bomb, or like a tlink down air or whatever, their reaction time will be slower than if you just go for a uair star ko all the time so when you DO go for it its gonna be more effective. I myself get very few uair kills but then I don't tend to go for them, I'd rather bait a reaction and shark their landing.

:123:
I do mix it up, I've gotten better against it and to be honest there are plenty of other ways to kill him. I had a hard time against Yoshi players, but after having a few friendlys online with him I've gotten used to it. He also now knows that I'll punish him if he goes for bombs. It's basically a game of rock, paper, scissors. at this point

anas abou

Smash Journeyman
i always down throw when the foe is at low percents to rack up damage and get them follow ups but as soon as i get damage racked i instantly switch up to back throw to attempt getting early kills pretty standard stuff really

J.APS

Smash Cadet
NNID
JAPSTheHedgehog
3DS FC
4596-9572-9563
but a Dthrow at a ledge can by follow up with a Dair (with the awesome spike) or going off stage with a F-air/B-air. It's risky, but it works (at least for me).

Pivot

Godfather
3DS FC
4742-5223-3550
Well, that wasn't a followup of Uthrow in the video.

By the way, I feel like the Uthrow>Uair combo hits more than it misses, but at different percents and depending on the weight of the opponent's character, one needs to decide how many jumps to use, if any, and whether or not to use his recovery to get the Uair. It'd be interesting, since this combo is as successful as it is, if someone could make a chart showing at what %s to do what. If they're at X percent, after Uthrow the Sonic must do Y jumps and must (do/not do) the recovery (before/after) the jumps in order to connect the Uair.

And I guess variations for heavy, medium, and light would help, and people could just classify the characters they play as they see fit.

Last edited:

SmashGamer112

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Battleon469
3DS FC
4098-3173-0853
Well, that wasn't a followup of Uthrow in the video.

By the way, I feel like the Uthrow>Uair combo hits more than it misses, but at different percents and depending on the weight of the opponent's character, one needs to decide how many jumps to use, if any, and whether or not to use his recovery to get the Uair. It'd be interesting, since this combo is as successful as it is, if someone could make a chart showing at what %s to do what. If they're at X percent, after Uthrow the Sonic must do Y jumps and must (do/not do) the recovery (before/after) the jumps in order to connect the Uair.

And I guess variations for heavy, medium, and light would help, and people could just classify the characters they play as they see fit.
My bad. What my post & the video is meant to show is that in that situation (up-throw would put him in about the same height he was in the video) D3 can nair and sonic's upair would be.. Too slow lol.

Top Bottom