• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Make Ness's recovery a nightmare

LanceStern

Smash Lord
This may already be common knowledge but for those who have a hard time against Ness, we can make the matchup a little bit better by punishing his recovery. It should be a nightmare for Ness players to be offstage!

Our fair’s low knockback sets him up for multiple hits. See the video example: https://youtu.be/oawUlLzOaYQ?t=17s

Of course you do have to be careful of his rising fairs which outprioritizes all of our aerials. Also Nesses tend to air dodge on their second jump. If the Ness is too close to the stage then falling into him will get you hit initially by the thunder sparks and then you'll get rammed by PK thunder so be ready to tech the stage spike.

But even with all this, you can still make the opponent sweat whenever they are off stage. A lot of the times when I knock Ness offstage I’ll toss a cherry or strawberry to interrupt his second jump, which sets him up for a falling fair to a rising fair and then whatever else you come up with. Make his recovery a nightmare.

Do you have any gimp setups you use on Ness or Lucas? I'd love to hear them

BoxedOccaBerrys

Smash Journeyman
NNID
BoXeDOccaBerrys
A well aimed Apple or Cherry for me.

Sometimes I'll place a hydrant on the ledge in hopes of the water pushing them away from the ledge.

dragontamer

Smash Ace
NNID
dragontamer5788
I was able to apply a similar amount of pressure to a decent Samus player once.

Cherry, Strawberry, and Fair pressure was enough to gimp a Samus. If you predict a Samus Z-recover, you drop off the ledge and Fair Fair Samus back (for the gimp). If Samus drops low instead, cover the ledge with slow-moving Cherry or Strawberry and then Fair away.

Both Samus and Ness have nice aerials however and long recovery distance, so they aren't quite as afraid as other characters when you "go deep" against them. But cherry, strawberry, and Fair really is a deadly combination and can definitely mess them up.

Rob is probably the easiest character to gimp though. Just fair till he's gone, stay outside of his Fair and Uair and you're all set (Dair, Bair and Nair are hopelessly slow vs PacMan's gimp attempts).

Last edited:

LanceStern

Smash Lord
I was able to apply a similar amount of pressure to a decent Samus player once.

Cherry, Strawberry, and Fair pressure was enough to gimp a Samus. If you predict a Samus Z-recover, you drop off the ledge and Fair Fair Samus back (for the gimp). If Samus drops low instead, cover the ledge with slow-moving Cherry or Strawberry and then Fair away.

Both Samus and Ness have nice aerials however and long recovery distance, so they aren't quite as afraid as other characters when you "go deep" against them. But cherry, strawberry, and Fair really is a deadly combination and can definitely mess them up.

Rob is probably the easiest character to gimp though. Just fair till he's gone, stay outside of his Fair and Uair and you're all set (Dair, Bair and Nair are hopelessly slow vs PacMan's gimp attempts).
Do you have a video of this? ROB seems to fair me all day and I can't get around his aerials

dragontamer

Smash Ace
NNID
dragontamer5788
No videos unfortunately.

I just want to note that you run circles around Rob in the air once he activates his up-B. Rob's mobility is utterly destroyed once he tries to recover. At which point, he's a sitting duck (with still a ridiculously good Fair / Uair... but its far easier to space him out and bait attacks if you wait until after he activates that jetpack)

You do have to win like 2 or 3 exchanges, because that jetpack lasts a long time. But keep Fair-ing him back and keep the pressure up, and you can gimp Rob. As long as you have the ledge, you can always jump back to land and regain your double-jump (and therefore regain your mobility), while Rob is a sitting duck.

I don't think Rob can even air-dodge once that jetpack is active... meaning side-b ledge shenanigans also works. Just gotta wait till after the jetpack. Rob's only choice is basically to catch you with his Fair. Attack him before, or after he pushes that "Fair" button, and you'll win one exchange.

Basically: Toss cherries or strawberries to eat up his double-jump, and then apply pressure to the face until he's gimped. While Rob has a double-jump, his Fair and Uair (and even his slower Nair) are very good. The key is really taking advantage of his piss poor mobility without double-jumps.

Last edited:
Top Bottom