• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

major noob to SSB. can somebody explain to me the brawl metagame?

Payton64

Smash Rookie
as i said, i'm a noob/newb to smash bros. in general. A while ago, i downloaded the ssb64 rom in anticipation of SSBB. i've learned the basic game mechanics, but i want to learn how to play competitive. i want to learn how the ssbb metagame works, specifically advanced skills (like wavedashing and l-cancelling was to SSBM) and tactics. BTW, i'm planning on mostly using Ike and Toon Link. Can somebody slowly bring me into the world of advanced SSBB playing?

S623

Smash Apprentice
lawlz. noobcakes.

No, but seriously. Go check out the AT thread in Tactical discussion. And learn how to DLX Cancel. Or Gatling. Or whatever the hell we decided on. I think it was the Charleston. Or was it Snake-Dashing? Either way that'd be useful for Ike to know how to use. And the other stuff in there might be of use to you.

YoYoBoY

Smash Cadet
Since SSBB is so new, there's no tangible tactics yet. Certain exploits have been found but nothing to really create a good strategy with.

Payton64

Smash Rookie
Since SSBB is so new, there's no tangible tactics yet. Certain exploits have been found but nothing to really create a good strategy with.
i didn't mean exploits, i meant more on the lines of techniques that wouldn't be included in the manual.

YoYoBoY

Smash Cadet
i didn't mean exploits, i meant more on the lines of techniques that wouldn't be included in the manual.
Well you said "(like wavedashing and l-cancelling was to SSBM" which are exploits, exploiting the physics. (Technically L-Cancelling isn't an exploit but :p)

Anyway I use exploit with advanced technique pretty interchangably because if its not in the manual chances are you're exploiting something.

Payton64

Smash Rookie
not to even look like a bigger noob, but what does AT stand for? i'm assuming that it doesn't stand for assist trophy in this circumstance? or even better, could somebody just give me a link to that thread?

S623

Smash Apprentice
Yeah, if you want full meta-game like Melee had, you'll have to wait a couple of months, at least. Or discover **** on your own. Because A) Brawl won't be as focused on meta-game as Melee and B) Well, Brawl is new. It took five years before they discovered most everything in Melee.

OrlanduEX

Smash Lord
AT = advanced tech. Look at Smash Wiki to get a full idea of what these are, but I'll say that short hop, l-cancel, crouch cancel, edge hogging among other things fall into this category (in Melee).

As of yet, Brawl has a very small and insignificant metagame. Come back in a few months :).

spacemanspiff

Smash Journeyman
why tell him about advanced techs already? lol the most important parts of smash arent ATs to being good. to be great one could argue they are needed but the mastering the basics can get you pretty far. learn how to do DI, tech (not advanced techniques, actual techs), and good spacing and you'll be set for an average tourney. but you must do them well.

about the metagame though. be unpredictable. have multiple approach techniques. if a player reads you like a book you'll get owned no matter how good you are at ATs.

Tyr_03

Smash Champion
Learn to use RAR with toon link. seems to open up some nice combos with him. look it up.

Top Bottom