• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Maining SoPo

TOVL

Smash Cadet
I have recently decided that I should become a SoPo main, being that Nana's AI sucks too much for me to tolerate. I'm going to do this by SDing my Nana after every stock. My checklist for things I need to do to become good at the character of SoPo is simple: chaingrabs and killing Nana. Because that's how you play SoPo.

While I'm sure most people try to keep Nana before going SoPo, I've always found it very hindering, trying to save Nana instead of fighting. I've found that more often then not, while my Nana is being comboed, I'm trying to save her, and end up putting myself in a bad position. Other times, she f-smashes and ruins a perfectly good combo. But, most annoyingly of all, nobody else likes wobbling. I tried using handoffs exclusively, but nobody liked that either.. So, SoPo it is.

Of course, studying this character is just watching regular top ICs play, because, well, SoPo is a fact of life as an ICs main. Some SoPos' are more striking than others (as I'd consider Fly's SoPo to be far superior to Drunk Sloth's SoPo). Simple frame data and established chaingrabs will also help with the process of killing off all the Foxies and Swordsmen I find in bracket.

I myself consider SoPo to be better than Mario, but not as good as Ganondorf, so playing with a low-mid tier will be an intresing challenge (and doable unlike my secondary Pichu).

I'll probably end up updating this with all the SoPo stuff I do (probably just vods xd). I thought I'd just inform y'all that there's a SoPo in town!

Actually,
PS,
Are there any other SoPo mains? I myself have never found one, but hey, you never know

_Ne0N_

Smash Cadet
going from maining top/high tier to mid tier because you can do that lol.
although it does sound weird, since after every stock, you're basically splitting your attack power by half.
i've tried playing a bit of sopo myself, and honestly i think it's harder to attempt to kill nana than it is to manage her.
also, i think gotta make sure you can kill nana without putting yourself in a bad situation, since you're basically taking the time to not capitalize on a new stock and invincibility and using it to, like i said, cut your power in half. many people will take advantage on that one decision, and good players will make sure they can take full advantage of it.
i think that if you choose to do so, try to learn to manage nana, since she is an AI after all, and she comes back after every stock. trying to keep her alive isn't what you should solely be focusing on, rather it's trying to take advantage that she is alive to keep up with your opponent. learning how nana works can really help in your ICs play. after all, it is what the top ICs players learned to do to win (besides wobbling)

don't take my word as facts, since I'm no top player, but who knows, maybe you could become the best sopo main ever.
hope i was of some help

Lola Luftnagle

Banned via Warnings
Well, I wish y'all luck with this endeavor. But me, I'll stick with having the CPU Popo by my side (yes, I like playing as Nana but enough about that) so that I can practice and utilize wobbling/chaingrabs, the techs they're known for.

iAmMatt

Smash Journeyman
NNID
mattgw420
I don't mean to trash your main, but I think thats a terrible idea if you're looking for tournament results. It would be cool as **** to see an exceptionally good sopo main but in the current meta, I think you're asking for too much out of arguably one of the worst characters in the game. If you're looking for recognition as something unique like a sopo main, then I'm all for it and I wish you the best of luck, but for tournament results you should invest time into learning desyncing so you can use nana to her fullest potential.

TOVL

Smash Cadet
I can't actually do this, Sopo sucks

Sorry for even trying to main this horrid character (and opening this thread in the first place)

_Ne0N_

Smash Cadet
I can't actually do this, Sopo sucks

Sorry for even trying to main this horrid character (and opening this thread in the first place)
yo its cool man, at least you experimented and took a risk to see the outcome

Kodu02

Smash Rookie
try nana only if thats possible because if time your desyncs its possible. Having to be desynced for 8 mins

AquaTech

We hit the potjack
Use both. Even if you hate Nana's AI, just employ Sopo strategies, and she'll make you hit harder. Plus you'll be spending roughly 50% of the match with Sopo after she dies anyway haha.

Last edited:

Why_wobble

Smash Rookie
I have recently decided that I should become a SoPo main, being that Nana's AI sucks too much for me to tolerate. I'm going to do this by SDing my Nana after every stock. My checklist for things I need to do to become good at the character of SoPo is simple: chaingrabs and killing Nana. Because that's how you play SoPo.

While I'm sure most people try to keep Nana before going SoPo, I've always found it very hindering, trying to save Nana instead of fighting. I've found that more often then not, while my Nana is being comboed, I'm trying to save her, and end up putting myself in a bad position. Other times, she f-smashes and ruins a perfectly good combo. But, most annoyingly of all, nobody else likes wobbling. I tried using handoffs exclusively, but nobody liked that either.. So, SoPo it is.

Of course, studying this character is just watching regular top ICs play, because, well, SoPo is a fact of life as an ICs main. Some SoPos' are more striking than others (as I'd consider Fly's SoPo to be far superior to Drunk Sloth's SoPo). Simple frame data and established chaingrabs will also help with the process of killing off all the Foxies and Swordsmen I find in bracket.

I myself consider SoPo to be better than Mario, but not as good as Ganondorf, so playing with a low-mid tier will be an intresing challenge (and doable unlike my secondary Pichu).

I'll probably end up updating this with all the SoPo stuff I do (probably just vods xd). I thought I'd just inform y'all that there's a SoPo in town!

Actually,
PS,
Are there any other SoPo mains? I myself have never found one, but hey, you never know
I think sopo practice is good but not a main

Top Bottom