• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Maining Dr. Mario

Lugiaboy

Smash Rookie
NNID
LugiaboyExtra
3DS FC
3024-8246-5446
Ever since I heard Dr. Mario was coming back from Melee, I was quite shocked at pretty excited since I used Dr. Mario in Melee for Competitive. Though I might ask, in Smash 4, what are some things in competitive play to look out for when maining Dr. Mario? Besides the fact his Recovery is a lot less useful that Mario/Luigi's and being a bit more bulky, any tips you guys could give me?

ZeroJanitor

Smash Ace
Slippi.gg
ZJ#732
NNID
ZeroJanitor
Switch FC
SW-3025-9002-7252
Dr. Tornado is amazing. It has a lot of priority and if you use it offstage on recovering opponents you can kill them as early as 70%. Also worth exploring is his down B custom that gives him a lot of height to improve your recovery.

His up B now works more like Luigi's, with a strong hit at the start of the attack and a weaker hit throughout (the strong hit doesn't pack as much punch as Luigi's but the weak hit isn't as weak either). It's also a great quick kill option, especially out of shield.

His up smash now works more like Mario's, mean less combo potential but more kill power. His forward smash and down smash are still pretty fast kill options. Sadly, his forward air is his least reliable kill move now because it doesn't deal nearly as much knockback and you have to sweet spot it.

Compared to Melee, pills do less damage and have slightly more lag while firing them, but they're still a good option for stage control. His Super Sheet is basically the same but he doesn't stall when using it in the air anymore, he just keeps falling at the same rate. His reverse sex kick is back but because you don't carry momentum out of a dash jump you can't karate kick into opponents like you could.

Lugiaboy

Smash Rookie
NNID
LugiaboyExtra
3DS FC
3024-8246-5446
Dr. Tornado is amazing. It has a lot of priority and if you use it offstage on recovering opponents you can kill them as early as 70%. Also worth exploring is his down B custom that gives him a lot of height to improve your recovery.

His up B now works more like Luigi's, with a strong hit at the start of the attack and a weaker hit throughout (the strong hit doesn't pack as much punch as Luigi's but the weak hit isn't as weak either). It's also a great quick kill option, especially out of shield.

His up smash now works more like Mario's, mean less combo potential but more kill power. His forward smash and down smash are still pretty fast kill options. Sadly, his forward air is his least reliable kill move now because it doesn't deal nearly as much knockback and you have to sweet spot it.

Compared to Melee, pills do less damage and have slightly more lag while firing them, but they're still a good option for stage control. His Super Sheet is basically the same but he doesn't stall when using it in the air anymore, he just keeps falling at the same rate. His reverse sex kick is back but because you don't carry momentum out of a dash jump you can't karate kick into opponents like you could.
Oh, this is really going to be useful for my competitive play. Thanks a lot!

KeeblerGuy

Smash Cadet
Up B. 14% DMG. Use that for ending combos from (Dthrow --> Uair --> UpB works at mid percents) and Dtilt, breaking other people's jab combos/regular combos, and as a good follow up to standard get up and jump get up onto the stage form the ledge. Use it to pull of a quick punish and even kill! That's about it. Not actually, if you want to know more message me.

Last edited:

Lugiaboy

Smash Rookie
NNID
LugiaboyExtra
3DS FC
3024-8246-5446
Up B. 14% DMG. Use that for ending combos from (Dthrow --> Uair --> UpB works at mid percents) and Dtilt, breaking other people's jab combos/regular combos, and as a good follow up to standard get up and jump get up onto the stage form the ledge. Use it to pull of a quick punish and even kill! That's about it. Not actually, if you want to know more message me.
Good ideals for some strategies. I'll take them into consideration.

MarioMeteor

Smash Hero
NNID
BGenius23
3DS FC
0662-2900-1492
Out of Shield Super Jump Punch is the best thing ever. Do you remember the Jab -> Down smash from Melee? Well, you can do that here, only its Jab -> Jab2 -> Down smash, and it's not guarenteed. Back air is a great KO and edgeguarding option. Back throw is as strong as you would think it is. Really, with Doc, you want to take the Little Mac approach and take center stage at all times. By the way, that Soaring Tornado custom is broken.

Top Bottom