• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Main

Daer

Smash Cadet
Switch FC
0033 7210 7455
Okay so some of you may have seen my posts about other characters in the past. Most recently I tried to main Samus but I feel limited by her. I have trouble sticking with one character. I really enjoy the top tiers and some lower tiers like Luigi and YL. They all have their pros that I enjoy but I feel like their cons hold them back. Could someone help me choose the one for me?

EDIT: I do not like IC's at all lol

Last edited:

faroIN

Smash Rookie
Pick who you have the most fun playing. At the lower levels the tier list isn't concrete, and any player can beat any other player of a comparable skill level. Samus is hard to learn so if you didn't commit, it isn't surprising it seemed limiting. Try Sheik. She's really easy to learn essentials with. Or go with a low tier and get involved with the communities that are pushing that character's meta. That's pretty rewarding.

Cressel

Smash Rookie
All the characters have pros and cons, some heavier than the other of course but there will always be something that you'll feel "holds them back", you just have to work around those weaknesses with their strengths.
Switching between characters really limits your ability to figure out all of a characters options which is probably why you feel the cons are so big. Samus has an amazing punish game and some nice tools in neutral to mix up and trick the opponent, along with some great survivability and recovery tools. But if you're not getting a lot out of a read cause your punish isn't developed it's understandable that you feel she commits too much to every action or something.

Just figure out what you have the most fun playing, work with it and instead of complaining figure out how to avoid certain scenarios, it's all about perspective. There's usually an answer to most of the struggles in melee.

Ezlo

Smash Cadet
No matter who you choose, the most important thing is to choose a character -- it doesn't matter who. Just make sure it's a character you enjoy somewhat, and preferably a high/top tier if your goal is to win.

The issue here is that you're switching characters when you find something that limits them. Even Fox has issues -- he has limited range, awful aerial mobility, and all the best characters have great combo potential against him.

If you want to improve, then it doesn't matter what character you use for quite some time, to be honest. Obviously, a character that you 'click' with will be best, but most people won't be able to realize what they like about a character with any degree of accuracy for quite some time. I started out playing peach, and played her for a full year and a half before deciding that she didn't fit my playstyle. However, if I hadn't spent that year and a half devoted mainly to peach, then I wouldn't be half as good of a falco player as I am now.

Each character has their pros and cons, but they all will help you improve, and all of them (particularly the 'best' ones) have potential to be played with. I would recommend just going with your gut instinct, and stick with it -- you can change your character once you've had more time devoted to the one. But it's impossible to improve quickly if you have to repeatedly change how you play every few weeks.

Hope that helps! I didn't mean this to sound derogatory at all, just trying to say that it doesn't matter who you pick, as long as you stick with them for a while.

SSBM Tao

Smash Cadet
Okay so some of you may have seen my posts about other characters in the past. Most recently I tried to main Samus but I feel limited by her. I have trouble sticking with one character. I really enjoy the top tiers and some lower tiers like Luigi and YL. They all have their pros that I enjoy but I feel like their cons hold them back. Could someone help me choose the one for me?

EDIT: I do not like IC's at all lol
Pause the game.(this is important) and press L-R-A-Start all together. Then, put your cursor on Fox, and then press A.

iAmMatt

Smash Journeyman
NNID
mattgw420
I find it best to play a character you actually enjoy playing rather than playing a character that's really good. If you find a character you enjoy you'll get good with them naturally

SSBM Tao

Smash Cadet
I find it best to play a character you actually enjoy playing rather than playing a character that's really good. If you find a character you enjoy you'll get good with them naturally
Im just kidding, I don't even play fox

clarify

Smash Cadet
No matter who you choose, the most important thing is to choose a character -- it doesn't matter who. Just make sure it's a character you enjoy somewhat, and preferably a high/top tier if your goal is to win.

The issue here is that you're switching characters when you find something that limits them. Even Fox has issues -- he has limited range, awful aerial mobility, and all the best characters have great combo potential against him.

If you want to improve, then it doesn't matter what character you use for quite some time, to be honest. Obviously, a character that you 'click' with will be best, but most people won't be able to realize what they like about a character with any degree of accuracy for quite some time. I started out playing peach, and played her for a full year and a half before deciding that she didn't fit my playstyle. However, if I hadn't spent that year and a half devoted mainly to peach, then I wouldn't be half as good of a falco player as I am now.

Each character has their pros and cons, but they all will help you improve, and all of them (particularly the 'best' ones) have potential to be played with. I would recommend just going with your gut instinct, and stick with it -- you can change your character once you've had more time devoted to the one. But it's impossible to improve quickly if you have to repeatedly change how you play every few weeks.

Hope that helps! I didn't mean this to sound derogatory at all, just trying to say that it doesn't matter who you pick, as long as you stick with them for a while.
This. I've mained Ganon now for about a decade (though I've never gotten into the competitive scene too much) solely because he clicked. I'm having a problem with choosing a secondary because other than Falcon, no one is clicking for me. If you don't enjoy playing a certain character, you'll get bored/frustrated with the game if you keep playing said character.

You'll know a character clicks when after playing a few games in a row with them, you're enjoying playing the game and having a blast with the character.

If you want to specifically win, then pick a higher-tier (or even mid-tier) that you enjoy. If all you want to do is have fun, just find a character you like and stick with it.

tsulz

Smash Rookie
If you keep playing the characters you enjoy, eventually you'll find ways to play around the weaknesses you feel. You may even find way more strengths to those characters that you didn't realize they had. The longer you play a single character will also help you to develop playstyles that lessen those weaknesses even more. The grind sucks, but once you start making breakthroughs, it'll be worth it.

Top Bottom