• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Main pick crisis

Linkkicksu

Smash Rookie
So, for the past few months I was playing Falcon.
I thought he was pretty fun, but no matter how much I practiced I never got better at him.
Just a moment ago when my friend and I were playing over Dolphin netplay, I was getting stomped. (We've both been playing since we were kids, but he got into the comp scene way earlier than me.)
I got bored and decided to just stuff around with some other chars;
Link (My old main from 64)
Jigglypuff (Because he hates when I'm always airborne)
Sheik
Pikachu
etc..

I kept ignoring Samus because though I don't remember exactly why, I once tried her as a kid and never liked it.
Eventually I picked her, and holy hell.
I 4-stocked him twice and 2-stocked him 3 times.

Now I'm in a crisis; I've spent so much time learning Falcon, yet just picked up Samus for the first time in years and kicked butt.
Should I keep going? Or is Falcon more viable in the long run?

Litt

Samus
Samus is a character that lives a long time, especially if your opponent does not know the match up of how to properly pressure (otherwise they get up Bed OoS or CC dsmashed) or edgeguard, that being said, you did not play samus against someone who knew the match up and you are making this post entirely off a set you played against an inexperienced player to completely change who you main. That sounds like a rash decision to me so really think for yourself... do you think you are naturally just an amazing samus player or does your friend just need to learn how to play against other characters. There is a reason you have not or believe have not gotten better for a while and though we have not met, I can take an educated guess that it was not a result of your character.

Last edited:

Litt

Samus
If you enjoy playing Samus more, there's no reason not to go ahead and try playing her for a bit.
Here is the thing though, in the OP he didn't once say he enjoyed playing her. He actually did say when he was younger he disliked playing as her. However following that, he said he is torn because he was able to get results with samus despite failing to do so with his long worked on main. So this looks like an issue of viability/results driven change, so refer to my above for my opinion on what I think about his reasoning/situation.

Linkkicksu

Smash Rookie
Here is the thing though, in the OP he didn't once say he enjoyed playing her.
Well, I've played a few more rounds with her and can safely say I enjoy her more than Falcon now.
Only issue I have is that I got so used to chasing with Falcon's Fair that I keep messing up and using it with Samus.

Litt

Samus
Well, I've played a few more rounds with her and can safely say I enjoy her more than Falcon now.
Only issue I have is that I got so used to chasing with Falcon's Fair that I keep messing up and using it with Samus.
Well there we have it, I think you answered your own question. Play the character you enjoy but from what you posted I responded on the assumption that you were indifferent on how much you liked the character and this dilemma was brought on by the results you achieved. Samus's fair is actually one of her best moves believe it or not, it has a great disjoint, can carry other characters into smash attacks if you come from the ledge or under a plat, and it is an amazing combo breaker, (and gets you out of most falcon throw follow ups).

mistgun.fgc

Smash Rookie
NNID
Nin_Ghost
Samus is not for the faint of heart, nor is she for anyone who's impatient. Coming from Falcon, you're really going to miss having cheap KO moves, and a good grab. In the end, if you enjoy playing her, do it. Just don't expect the options you might be used to with other characters.

I wouldn't say I'm high level, but I've been playing her for quite some time now. Samus is much more of an all-arounder than other characters, and playing her will take genuine hard work. But I'm confident that Samus is viable and enjoyable in today's meta.

F. Stein

Smash Journeyman
Play Ganondorf, problem solved. Never look back, don't make johns, destroy plebs.

Bell Pepper

Smash Rookie

Linkkicksu

Smash Rookie
Samus is not for the faint of heart, nor is she for anyone who's impatient. Coming from Falcon, you're really going to miss having cheap KO moves, and a good grab. In the end, if you enjoy playing her, do it. Just don't expect the options you might be used to with other characters.

I wouldn't say I'm high level, but I've been playing her for quite some time now. Samus is much more of an all-arounder than other characters, and playing her will take genuine hard work. But I'm confident that Samus is viable and enjoyable in today's meta.
I've realized this, and I like this more methodical play style over the raw aggression of other chars like Falcon.

Play Ganondorf, problem solved. Never look back, don't make johns, destroy plebs.
My friend mains Ganon. Love that range and power, but he's easy to punish once you catch him off guard.

Welcome to the cult that is being a samus main, here is an overview of some essential tech you'll need to incorporate into your every day play.
https://badmelee.com/2016/02/26/the-bad-melee-advanced-samus-tech-skill-guide/
Thanks, that's a big help.

Top Bottom