• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Main Crisis.

Herbie

Smash Rookie
NNID
EBonett
So I have been an avid player of Melee for about three months now. I have watched melee for about a year as well. I currently main Ice Climbers and I always find myself moving towards other characters like Peach, Marth and Fox. I just can't find a character that I am extremely comfortable and confident with.

zVenime

Smash Rookie
I know this may sound corny or not very helpful at times. But hear me out.

1) I "dated" a lot of the mid/top tier characters. *Dating* - Playing with them to figure out which character gives you the best technique and feel.

2) In my opinion, its always a good idea to have 2 mains. That may sound stupid coming from me, a new player. But, just incase you have a bad match-up, it's always good to have another character to go with.

3) The way I found my main, was from motivation. (I know this sounds weird) Basically I love Marth and Pikachu. Marth because of some old matches I've watched back then. (Ken combo etc) and Pikachu because I've always used Pikachu in Pokemon games and I have multiple plushes etc.

Sorry if this didn't help, I tried xD Hey uh, if you wish to talk to me, add me on skype. - vincentmk8

TyDye

Crash Bandicoot for Smash!
I'm not a Melee player however the two things that I believe go into choosing a main in the other games are:

1- Does the character come naturally to you? This will help you learn and master that character.

2- Do you enjoy playing said character? If your not having fun why play?

Also it is never a bad idea to have an alternate character or two to ensure that you can cover all match-ups.

Last edited:
Play all of the tournament viables so that your best will be painfully obvious? If it's not obvious yet, keep playing

Kaibo

Smash Cadet
I thought for a while that I mained Marth. I just recently went to my first melee tournament and playing Marth there just felt unnatural. I played one game as fox and I won and everyone around me was telling me my fox wasn't bad so moral of the story? 2 0 X X

gmBottles

Fun Haver
NNID
komfyking
In my opinion, its always a good idea to have 2 mains. That may sound stupid coming from me, a new player. But, just incase you have a bad match-up, it's always good to have another character to go with.
Noooo, this is an awful idea. Having more than one main at a low level is detrimental to your improvement. You will learn a lot more, a lot faster if you stick to one main.

Finding a main can be tough. But what EPsilon933 EPsilon933 said is right, so just refer to that.

and stop making these threads there are 6,000 of them

Herbie

Smash Rookie
NNID
EBonett
Well thank you all for the help. Will take what EPsilon933 said. Currently enjoying Falco atm.

Top Bottom