• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

mah pikachu....(update)

ynomrahnsguht

Smash Apprentice
NNID
HarmonyFlame
3DS FC
0387-8828-8761
aight im trying to figure out what exactly it is im doing wrong. i keep coming in 4th place at every ****ing tourny. i need to know if i should use more dsmash of watever the case may be.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_tawd6buyyo

thats the only vid i got of my current stlye. its a friendly from one of the tournys i recently attended.

DDD isnt the problem at all as you can see, but i need to know how to defeat falco, fox, and metaknight. i keep getting knocked out everytime because of them. any adviceee.

EDIT: a video of me losing hard to my good falco player friend. keep in mind this is online. but with next to no lag.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=MbhTwd8Yzws

i know i can dair out of chaingrab but what else is a effective way?

EDIT2: i think pikachus ftilt is my favorite move in the game.

PikZ

Smash Rookie
Wow nice Pika.
I've been playing Pikachu for years and you're so much better than me ><
How do you do that 'dash dance' you did around 1:36?

Kayzee

Smash Journeyman
Your first post made it seem like you didn't know what you were doing, and I was expecting a noob Pikachu. Your Pikachu is amazing. I would use dsmash a lot more though.

Edit: For the spacies, dthrow chaingrab.

ForestSage

Smash Journeyman
I agree, very nice pika. Combos were pretty cool.

Though.. if you really want some helpful advice.. You should try to get a match where you don't do so well to see where things go wrong.. I can't really help much else though. Though maybe QAC more?

ynomrahnsguht

Smash Apprentice
NNID
HarmonyFlame
3DS FC
0387-8828-8761
thanks for the positive feeback. i will update this post with more videos against a real good falco player i know. the main problem for me agaisnt falco is that he sidedodges way too fast. even when i dsmash i tend to get grab out of it resulting in a chaingrab. only thing i have noticed that catches falco players off guard is fair to grab which results in a dthrow to upsmash, which is about 50-55 damage or so. i dont know if its jsut me personally but i just have a really hard time against really good falcos. any other character other than fox as well i can own consistently.

Your first post made it seem like you didn't know what you were doing, and I was expecting a noob Pikachu. Your Pikachu is amazing. I would use dsmash a lot more though.

Edit: For the spacies, dthrow chaingrab.
do you mean my previous thread? lol yea i guess ive gotten alot better since the first couple weeks the game was out.

and ok does dthrow chaingrab work on all three spacies?(notice my laziness to go test it out..)

also i think i got a good strat. agaisnt metaknight players now. the best thing i notice is that metaknight players leave themselves open in a nuetral spot, right in front of them. either a shorthop fair, or shorthop nuetral air does the trick(depending on the damage). but you have to remember to DI backways so that if they are blocking and attempts a grab they miss, setting themselves up for a nice fsmash.

gallax

Smash Hero
great pika dude. you can dthrow fox till 75-80% then he can get out. i try and get him to no more than 70% then instead of trying to dthrow chain him one more time i just umash into some nairs/uairs. same goes for wolf(idk what percentage he can get out though) but falco you need to fthrow. you should be able to own fox. he is my easiest matchup b/c of the crazy chaingrab. i do have a prob with really good falco players too. what you said about the matchup i find to be totally true too. it ought to be interesting what people say about beating him. the usual QAC ought to be included in a guide to beat him.

ynomrahnsguht

Smash Apprentice
NNID
HarmonyFlame
3DS FC
0387-8828-8761
great pika dude. you can dthrow fox till 75-80% then he can get out. i try and get him to no more than 70% then instead of trying to dthrow chain him one more time i just umash into some nairs/uairs. same goes for wolf(idk what percentage he can get out though) but falco you need to fthrow. you should be able to own fox. he is my easiest matchup b/c of the crazy chaingrab. i do have a prob with really good falco players too. what you said about the matchup i find to be totally true too. it ought to be interesting what people say about beating him. the usual QAC ought to be included in a guide to beat him.
o man thanks for that advice man. props.

that fox dthrow chain is nastyyyy. falco seems to be able to escape earlier but still ****ing nice. im def. gonna do more research on this later on.

ynomrahnsguht

Smash Apprentice
NNID
HarmonyFlame
3DS FC
0387-8828-8761
Wow nice Pika.
I've been playing Pikachu for years and you're so much better than me ><
How do you do that 'dash dance' you did around 1:36?
wat do you mean exactly. it was just a normal dash dance. in brawl you move the joystick a shorter distance to dash dance effectively(incase you dont know).

Roller

Smash Legend
Just so you know, you can chain wolf as well. make sure to hog your edge vs wolf too. I'd say 80% of my kills vs wolves are from edgehogging.

However, in terms of skill level you are far better than I am. Just try not to use fast falling Fair every time you approach from above. It gets predictable (I do the same thing there though), maybe try mixing it up with some more QuACs when approaching from above or even Nairs.

Anyways, you have a great pika, that was some nasty Uair juggling at the begining. If you want more help vs fox or any specific character get a vid of you playing them so we have more to go on.

ynomrahnsguht

Smash Apprentice
NNID
HarmonyFlame
3DS FC
0387-8828-8761
Just so you know, you can chain wolf as well. make sure to hog your edge vs wolf too. I'd say 80% of my kills vs wolves are from edgehogging.

However, in terms of skill level you are far better than I am. Just try not to use fast falling Fair every time you approach from above. It gets predictable (I do the same thing there though), maybe try mixing it up with some more QuACs when approaching from above or even Nairs.

Anyways, you have a great pika, that was some nasty Uair juggling at the begining. If you want more help vs fox or any specific character get a vid of you playing them so we have more to go on.
thanks bro. yea honestly wolfs are not hard at all. they do very stupid things, and are very easy to predict in my experience.

bump for update.

therofl

Smash Cadet
WOW. we play exactly alike ahaha.. with slight variations though.. i'd say im about your level.. we're not quite at anther's level yet. :p anyways i noticed that you need to use down smash more. your juggling is fine as well as your ledge guarding techniques. THE MOST OBVIOUS THING i saw you NOT doing.. was not spot dodging.. you should start spot dodging because it almost gives you an edge against most opponents.. ohh and you didnt very many running up smashes.. thats always a good move. anther does it a lot .. if you did a running up smash at 2:03 instead of a grab you wouldve hit him.. (the video vs DDD)

Roller

Smash Legend
THE MOST OBVIOUS THING i saw you NOT doing.. was not spot dodging.. you should start spot dodging because it almost gives you an edge against most opponents.. ohh and you didnt very many running up smashes.. thats always a good move. anther does it a lot .. if you did a running up smash at 2:03 instead of a grab you wouldve hit him.. (the video vs DDD)
^^^^^Bump

Definately spot dodge, since I have started with it I have noticed a big difference. Always roll dodging gets predictable and many opponents caught on rather quick and were able to anticipate my roll and preemptively F/Dsmash there.

As for the running up smash. I literaly NEVER used to use it. However, after playing Anther a few times I quickly came to the conclusion that I was being so stupid in not doing this that I should have been put on the short bus to school and been kept away from objects sharper than a pillow. It really is great. Just take about 30 seconds in practice to get your timing (that's all it takes) then try it out in games.

Like the nice people at Nike always say...

JUST DO IT.

It is VERY fast for a smash attack when timed properly and can often set up for thunder.

Hope this helps persuade you to sidestep (spot) dodge and use running Usmash.

EDIT: Just watched your new video. Honestly, you didn't get chained by that falco as much as you could have. You really just have to take it then chain him back. And when you are chaining characters like falco who are harder to get up to a higher percent don't be afraid to shock them once or twice after you grab them, get the max damage out of your chain, good job at limiting the fast falling Fairs, however now I think you didn't use them enough, lol. I still say you should add more QuAking to your playstyle.

ynomrahnsguht

Smash Apprentice
NNID
HarmonyFlame
3DS FC
0387-8828-8761
^^^^^Bump

Definately spot dodge, since I have started with it I have noticed a big difference. Always roll dodging gets predictable and many opponents caught on rather quick and were able to anticipate my roll and preemptively F/Dsmash there.

As for the running up smash. I literaly NEVER used to use it. However, after playing Anther a few times I quickly came to the conclusion that I was being so stupid in not doing this that I should have been put on the short bus to school and been kept away from objects sharper than a pillow. It really is great. Just take about 30 seconds in practice to get your timing (that's all it takes) then try it out in games.

Like the nice people at Nike always say...

JUST DO IT.

It is VERY fast for a smash attack when timed properly and can often set up for thunder.

Hope this helps persuade you to sidestep (spot) dodge and use running Usmash.

EDIT: Just watched your new video. Honestly, you didn't get chained by that falco as much as you could have. You really just have to take it then chain him back. And when you are chaining characters like falco who are harder to get up to a higher percent don't be afraid to shock them once or twice after you grab them, get the max damage out of your chain, good job at limiting the fast falling Fairs, however now I think you didn't use them enough, lol. I still say you should add more QuAking to your playstyle.
hey man thanks alot. im starting to now see what exactly im doing wrong. and yea spot dodging def works well agsint a typical falco. i have also noticed that forward tilt work so much better than a dsmash in some occasions agaisnt a falco. especially when they are side dodging really fast.

and i do qac alot. but sometimes i get punished more often then normal when do, so i only do it when my opponent is airbourne. either that or i qac to a thunderbolt or thunder. and for mindgames or course ;).

ynomrahnsguht

Smash Apprentice
NNID
HarmonyFlame
3DS FC
0387-8828-8761
WOW. we play exactly alike ahaha.. with slight variations though.. i'd say im about your level.. we're not quite at anther's level yet. :p anyways i noticed that you need to use down smash more. your juggling is fine as well as your ledge guarding techniques. THE MOST OBVIOUS THING i saw you NOT doing.. was not spot dodging.. you should start spot dodging because it almost gives you an edge against most opponents.. ohh and you didnt very many running up smashes.. thats always a good move. anther does it a lot .. if you did a running up smash at 2:03 instead of a grab you wouldve hit him.. (the video vs DDD)
thanks.

i see your point. im not perfect but i am starting to spot dodge a little more and if never fails.

also run upsmashes can be punishable sometimes. i try not to do it alot becuase it becomes predictable.

gallax

Smash Hero
i like this thread. pika is such a great character and the pika community is so friendly. i go to other characters posts (like snakes for example) and if u ask a question you get your head bitten off.

gallax

Smash Hero
oh and i watched your video of the fight vs. falco. there are a few things i noticed that you might want to start taking into effect when fighting your friend. the first thing is that he uses falco's fsmash when u are on the ledge(and he usualy seems to hit you). i would think this is a prob for you since i saw you run into it almost every time. what i try to do is while on the ledge is hit over (away from the stage) on the joystick when the invincibility frames are about to wear off. from there i do a few things. i either stall on the ledge, QAC behind the other player to avoid the smash, or i wait for the smash to end then i get up. practice being unpredictable on the edge.

another things that i saw that your friend did that was predictable was his recovery. he always used his sideB to get back onto the stage(usually catching you offguard). this is easy for pika cuz...THUNDER! thats how i edgeguard against the laylats(mostly fox/falco). try edgeguarding with your thunder. jump off>second jump back towards the stage while thundering(let it miss you). there are other ways to do this(eg. b-sticking) but thats what i do.

i like how you are always moving/dodging/shielding. the falco you play loves to grab and use his lasers. you got pretty used to the lasers at the end of the match but wait until the person you play can master the SH lasers. then it will get a little tougher. my advice to your gameplay would be to tjolt more(airiel though) and start trynig to predict the other players moves and use the predictability to your advantage. i love the way you played. AWESOME pika. but, i did noticed that you went to attack him more than he went after you. all he has to do is wait for an attack, dodge, then you are open. he did this a few times and when a player does that it really gets on my nerves. i call it the cowards way of winning. but you will face it and it needs to be addressed. so what you can do is let him come after you! turns the tables! pika can duck underneath falco's lasers so they arent a prob. if he keeps spamming the lasers then crawl towards him and mind game him. he will stop lasering and some after you when you are close enough. both of you are very good players, but there are always gonna be moves which are predictable(eg. you fair). take advantage of his predictablitly off the stage and while you are on the ledge.

ynomrahnsguht

Smash Apprentice
NNID
HarmonyFlame
3DS FC
0387-8828-8761
oh and i watched your video of the fight vs. falco. there are a few things i noticed that you might want to start taking into effect when fighting your friend. the first thing is that he uses falco's fsmash when u are on the ledge(and he usualy seems to hit you). i would think this is a prob for you since i saw you run into it almost every time. what i try to do is while on the ledge is hit over (away from the stage) on the joystick when the invincibility frames are about to wear off. from there i do a few things. i either stall on the ledge, QAC behind the other player to avoid the smash, or i wait for the smash to end then i get up. practice being unpredictable on the edge.

another things that i saw that your friend did that was predictable was his recovery. he always used his sideB to get back onto the stage(usually catching you offguard). this is easy for pika cuz...THUNDER! thats how i edgeguard against the laylats(mostly fox/falco). try edgeguarding with your thunder. jump off>second jump back towards the stage while thundering(let it miss you). there are other ways to do this(eg. b-sticking) but thats what i do.

i like how you are always moving/dodging/shielding. the falco you play loves to grab and use his lasers. you got pretty used to the lasers at the end of the match but wait until the person you play can master the SH lasers. then it will get a little tougher. my advice to your gameplay would be to tjolt more(airiel though) and start trynig to predict the other players moves and use the predictability to your advantage. i love the way you played. AWESOME pika. but, i did noticed that you went to attack him more than he went after you. all he has to do is wait for an attack, dodge, then you are open. he did this a few times and when a player does that it really gets on my nerves. i call it the cowards way of winning. but you will face it and it needs to be addressed. so what you can do is let him come after you! turns the tables! pika can duck underneath falco's lasers so they arent a prob. if he keeps spamming the lasers then crawl towards him and mind game him. he will stop lasering and some after you when you are close enough. both of you are very good players, but there are always gonna be moves which are predictable(eg. you fair). take advantage of his predictablitly off the stage and while you are on the ledge.
yea man im starting a q.a. to ledge alot for those invicibility frames. its definately worth it not only for the invicibility, but for the mindgames as well. when someone misses i usually just fair or nuetral air depending on damage.

i used to try and thunder a forward b, but i almost always miss the timeing allowing for me to be punished for the lag. now what i do is fair or jsut get out of the way so i possibly attack him once he lands. that seems to work the best.

and far as falco, as well as fox, or any opponent for that matter, i think the best thing to do to avoid grabs is to use any TILTs. its honestly the fastest thing to use on the ground to avoid being grabbed or or dsmashed from behind. it allows space and is relatively fast. i would recommend dtilts for tripping, but doesnt always land. id say if you turned around, you probually should uptilt, and ftilt for in front of. and yes crawling under lasers in amazing man. although you CAN actually egt hit sometimes. its a wierd thing that happens if you get hit by the first one, duck, then try crawling. when that happens i then start to thunderjolt, then when they are stunned i run upsmash.

gallax

Smash Hero
yea man im starting a q.a. to ledge alot for those invicibility frames. its definately worth it not only for the invicibility, but for the mindgames as well. when someone misses i usually just fair or nuetral air depending on damage.

i used to try and thunder a forward b, but i almost always miss the timeing allowing for me to be punished for the lag. now what i do is fair or jsut get out of the way so i possibly attack him once he lands. that seems to work the best.

and far as falco, as well as fox, or any opponent for that matter, i think the best thing to do to avoid grabs is to use any TILTs. its honestly the fastest thing to use on the ground to avoid being grabbed or or dsmashed from behind. it allows space and is relatively fast. i would recommend dtilts for tripping, but doesnt always land. id say if you turned around, you probually should uptilt, and ftilt for in front of. and yes crawling under lasers in amazing man. although you CAN actually egt hit sometimes. its a wierd thing that happens if you get hit by the first one, duck, then try crawling. when that happens i then start to thunderjolt, then when they are stunned i run upsmash.
i totally agree with you about the ftilt. thats something i always forget to talk about and sometimes do during matches. great tip about the spacing. and avoiding the "whose gonna grab who and stop spotdodging". also, about the getting hit by the laser, it seems that you only get hit by the first laser when you are at a very low percentage, but never again. i noticed that once in a match but thought it was an anomaly. might be something worth talking about. something you may want to start considering later too when the falco player becomes more knowledgeable is that they can cancel their >b at 3/4 and get more distance out of it. this means more unpredictabilty for falco players and better recovery. just somethind that you may not know about falco though.

Roller

Smash Legend
yo ynomrahnsguht,
Got any new videos? I'd like to see how much better you have gotten with your new arsenal of tricks. maybe we can find more ways to help you as well. Don't stop practicing dude, you definatley have potential. Join allisbrawl the website if you haven't already. There are a lot of good players there who gather in the chat rooms and there are great tournies all weekend long. There is always someone to practice against. You'll get better in no time.

=)

ynomrahnsguht

Smash Apprentice
NNID
HarmonyFlame
3DS FC
0387-8828-8761
im going to upload some videos later on today. and im on aib. i dont really goto the chat room tho because im not particularly a fan on online. but its still a great site nonetheless.

festizzio

Smash Champion
I'd say do a dsmash instead of usmash out of your chaingrabs on Falco, if he airdodges it still hits and you won't be punished for it like if he air dodges your usmash.

Top Bottom