• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Magnet Help

Y-L

Smash Champion
I've been playing Lucas for a few days now and I've really come to like him. The one move I haven't been using enough of is the magnet. What can you do with it combatively? I understand its uses for recovery/turning around. How can you use it effectively as a move? How should you use it? Out of dash? JC'd? Grounded? How do you get out of it in the air when you can't WD out? Any advice?

MysteryRevengerson

IT'S A MYSTERY TO ALL
The best thing about Magnet and what makes it truly useful is there are so many situations where you can use it, which really makes it tough for the opponent to correctly DI your moves/combos. An easy place to start on where you CAN use it would be if you could Fair/DJC Fair someone, so when you're starting/continuing a horizontal combo you can substitute Magnet for Fair. Magnet is very good out of a dash as well as from short hops since it halts your movements and can create a persisting hitbox in front (or behind with a B-reverse) on the spot, this is great if you approach someone and their initial response is to shield.

If you use Magnet in the air, you simply jump to stop that Magnet and you can act pretty much immediately. From this point you could do your full jump for a rising/falling aerial or DJC to respond with a move immediately. If you start with a short hop the options are the same, but a full jump isn't as good, especially if you hit their shield with Magnet/are relatively close to them. If you DO hit their shield a good option from short hop Magnet is to jump and do another Magnet, at which point you simply float back to the ground the short amount of distance you're up. If Magnet connects you can either use your full hop to move towards them and continue your combo/pressure or you can throw PK Freeze to cover the distance created, OR if you're close enough to the ground you can jump and air dodge back onto the field and run over to them.

Magnet's tough to explain, even now I don't fully utilize it despite having played this character for so long, and Magnet is definitely something you have to get a feel for/figure out through actual combat as opposed to simple discussion/'theorycrafting. Just start to introduce it into your gameplay slowly and you'll find ways to use it. Also good is to hit the lab and to watch how other Lucas players utilize the move.

Y-L

Smash Champion
The best thing about Magnet and what makes it truly useful is there are so many situations where you can use it, which really makes it tough for the opponent to correctly DI your moves/combos. An easy place to start on where you CAN use it would be if you could Fair/DJC Fair someone, so when you're starting/continuing a horizontal combo you can substitute Magnet for Fair. Magnet is very good out of a dash as well as from short hops since it halts your movements and can create a persisting hitbox in front (or behind with a B-reverse) on the spot, this is great if you approach someone and their initial response is to shield.

If you use Magnet in the air, you simply jump to stop that Magnet and you can act pretty much immediately. From this point you could do your full jump for a rising/falling aerial or DJC to respond with a move immediately. If you start with a short hop the options are the same, but a full jump isn't as good, especially if you hit their shield with Magnet/are relatively close to them. If you DO hit their shield a good option from short hop Magnet is to jump and do another Magnet, at which point you simply float back to the ground the short amount of distance you're up. If Magnet connects you can either use your full hop to move towards them and continue your combo/pressure or you can throw PK Freeze to cover the distance created, OR if you're close enough to the ground you can jump and air dodge back onto the field and run over to them.

Magnet's tough to explain, even now I don't fully utilize it despite having played this character for so long, and Magnet is definitely something you have to get a feel for/figure out through actual combat as opposed to simple discussion/'theorycrafting. Just start to introduce it into your gameplay slowly and you'll find ways to use it. Also good is to hit the lab and to watch how other Lucas players utilize the move.
How is magnet superior to fair in any given situation?

Ness_STFU

Smash Apprentice
It's hitbox is wonky if you're trying to use it outright, but it shines (no pun intended...) exceptionally well when when your opponent is already inside the hitbox which will be coming out.

Namely, L-cancelled Dairs. It's situational as to whether it's more useful than some other attack (DJC Uair, Nair, whatever) based on percentage, but if they're at low percentage and in that comboable range, magnet sets up beautiful followups to any aerial, especially dair.

Don't forget that it's jump cancellable, and Lucas can DJC, so "Dair -> magnet -> uair -> more combos" not only works, it works great.

Last edited:

CPU splint

Smash Rookie
Lucas' magnet isn't jump cancelable any more but you can let go and jump out from it pretty quickly. At low combo %'s though if you hit the opponent with magnet you can then wavedash back towards them and follow through. I find it quite useful as a (surprise) edgeguarding tool.

Can anyone accurately describe how his magnet can be used for horizontal recovery? I've not been able to pull it off consistently enough to figure it out

Y-L

Smash Champion
Lucas' magnet isn't jump cancelable any more but you can let go and jump out from it pretty quickly. At low combo %'s though if you hit the opponent with magnet you can then wavedash back towards them and follow through. I find it quite useful as a (surprise) edgeguarding tool.

Can anyone accurately describe how his magnet can be used for horizontal recovery? I've not been able to pull it off consistently enough to figure it out
it's still jump cancelable that's why you can wavedash out of it. Just use the magnet once a second or so when you're trying to recover because it lets you semi float allowing you to travel horizontally without falling down as much

GnOME

Smash Rookie
it's still jump cancelable that's why you can wavedash out of it. Just use the magnet once a second or so when you're trying to recover because it lets you semi float allowing you to travel horizontally without falling down as much
I've figured out the recovery now through practice. You seem to need some horizontal momentum to begin with.

Also you can't jump cancel it in the same way the spacie's shines can. I'm pretty sure you have to have let go of B before you can jump, so you only jump out of/cancel the ending animations of psi magnet (The second part of the attack if you will, not the main attack itself). Granted it's still very quick, but it also still makes a difference. (When you're wavedashing out you'll usually have let go of B to press jump?).

Drodeka

Smash Journeyman
It's easiest and most immediate use I can think of is...

Magnet - Short Hop - Back air

It's a KO that will leave your opponent wondering how they got caught so easily by the same move over and over, because that's exactly how it happens; easily.

210stuna

Smash Lord
Magnet - Fair/Fair - Magnet

Getting back on stage mix up with Magnet +/ Fast falling +/ Jumping +/ Magnet

Gimp attempt (Bair) + Magnet reversal + Airdodge up or up and away + Tether
(You can avoid this wavedashing off the stage to Bair them as you will be facing the ledge and can jump/tether on the edge with out the use of magnet)

stones

Smash Rookie
I've been playing Lucas for a few days now and I've really come to like him. The one move I haven't been using enough of is the magnet. What can you do with it combatively? I understand its uses for recovery/turning around. How can you use it effectively as a move? How should you use it? Out of dash? JC'd? Grounded? How do you get out of it in the air when you can't WD out? Any advice?
magnets are also great from 50-100% if you land it then jump cancel it into either an arial or try to read for a grab or smash or a dacus

if your're fighting a larger character you can charge your nuetral b then jump cancel your psi magnet and quickly hit neutral b to gimp with high damage and you should get them pretty far offstage.

cloudz

Smash Journeyman
magent has such great potential. I usually magnet, wavedash backwards and grab/nair/fsmash/magent again.TONS of options. Just need to get into the habit of wavedashing backwards after if you're grounded) and reading their percents

Top Bottom