• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Magic and Illusions

Sandy

Smash Champion
Magic, including the arts of prestidigitation and conjuring, is the art of entertaining an audience by performing illusions that baffle and amaze, often by giving the impression that something impossible has been achieved, almost as if the performer had magic or supernatural powers. Yet, this illusion of magic is created entirely by natural means. The practitioners of this mystery art may be called magicians, conjurors, illusionists or prestidigitators. Artists in other media such as theatre, cinema, dance and the visual arts increasingly work using similar means but regard their magical techniques as of secondary importance to the goal of creating a complex cultural performance.

Here is a good site for magic: http://www.ellusionist.com/index.php

I wanna start by talking about the King Rising Levitation

The King Rising Levitation is a levitation illusion developed by Corey King. Some consider it to be a variation of the Balducci levitation.

Effect

The performer is viewed from the side. The performer's legs may be covered (commonly with a jacket) at the beginning of the effect. At this point the performer may patter, saying something like, “You may have seen other magicians levitate behind a jacket...". This is a reference to the Sooperman levitation. The obstruction (jacket, etc.) would then be removed. The performer's whole body is clearly visible. The performer suddenly appears to levitate a few inches above the ground. Both feet are clearly seen to be in the air. The levitation usually lasts just a few seconds. When both feet return to the ground, the performer's legs may again be momentarily obscured. The performer may again make a comparative reference to the Sooperman levitation. Immediately afterwards the effect is complete, and the performer (particularly the performer's clothing) and the area around the performer can be thoroughly examined.

Sandy

Smash Champion
Interesting article: http://www.ellusionist.com/david-blaine.html

David Blaine Levitation: How Does Blaine Levitate ?
Above anything else Blaine does, his levitation is the most sought after triumph of illusion. Ironically, Blaine used a combination of techniques to rivet and amaze onlookers in his street specials. One is a crude technique called the Balducci levitation. It's easy to discover the secret to the Balducci... at present time she is laying on her back with her legs spread for all to look at - just search the internet and you can find the simple secret on hundreds of two-bit, cheap exposure sites put up by 12 year old kids and older "businessmen" looking to make a buck on advertising. Even the Amazing Randi now has a link to an exposure site, sadly buckling under the pressure from his readers to tell them how Blaine's levitation is performed - ugh.

But to learn the beautiful and crude Balducci, to really learn it... you must follow some competent instruction which will help turn the illusion from a bland secret into the flawless presentation of an extraordinary effect. The illusion is taught in the Street Magic Video named above.

The second levitation David Blaine performed on the Street Magic Special was one where he was seen to float two feet off the ground briefly. No one will be doing this unless they have several thousand dollars - forget it. The levitations that come closest to it are probably the "Elevator" and the "King Rising" Levitation. The Elevator is difficult to master and is about $100. King Rising Levitation takes practice but only runs about 20 bucks. An advantage of King Rising is that it involves no gimmicks or secret props... the levitation is entirely impromptu and can be done at a moment's notice. Grandmothers have been known to lose their dentures while watching this. The effect is startling and can be viewed at the link provided above.

Rici

I think I just red myself
BRoomer
NNID
Riciardos
I wouldn't mention him (you know,
David Blaine
) here, with Matt around.

I wonder if curling is allowed now...

Rici

I think I just red myself
BRoomer
NNID
Riciardos

Now he is.

Props to Typh.

Sandy

Smash Champion
OK, so I'm driving home from Innsbruck Golf Course and I decided to go by the Magic Shop. When I got there, it wasn't all that busy. One of the customers was talking about David Blaine and levitation came up in the conversation. I asked what levitation they was talking about and they said Balducci. I told them I could do it. I do the trick and everyone was speechless. Then I do an encore. While I'm doing the encore, one of the customers went to flag down some passerbys. She was like, Watch this guy levitate!" I do it AGAIN. More suprised people. Meanwhile, the shop owner is laughing his butt off (he's my friend). What a night..

Falco&Victory

Smash Champion
Um, no. Not really. Levitation is a simple trick, but notice how everyone is like "I can only hold it for a few seconds." It's because they can't support their own weight usually.

Crimson King

I am become death
BRoomer
Um, no. Not really. Levitation is a simple trick, but notice how everyone is like "I can only hold it for a few seconds." It's because they can't support their own weight usually.
Um, no. It's because the trick is angle sensitive. If you hold the trick for too long, it's way too obvious how it's done. The best levitation is King's.

I recently did Stigmata (card and name versions) to the amazement of my friends.

Zantetsu

Smash Master
I know the king's rising and the balducci levitation (David blanes)

The balducci was the first magic trick i ever learned (Not counting the rubber pencil <_<)

I recently learned some new tricks to like freezing time, making quarters by just sticking my hand in water (Preview http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=LPs1CoxMaEU), and the self tying shoe lace :p

Basically what im getting at is im a magician i guess and if you want me to describe (NOT TO GIVE OUT) a magic trick then i could help. Im not trading eather :p

HeadISBAgent

Smash Apprentice
Balducci Levitation isn't very impressive in the magic community, takes about 2 minutes to pick up and requires only good positioning and pretty much minimal misdirection.

Um, no. It's because the trick is angle sensitive. If you hold the trick for too long, it's way too obvious how it's done. The best levitation is King's.

I recently did Stigmata (card and name versions) to the amazement of my friends.
I like the ash rubbing version of Stigmata better, I can never scratch myself hard enough for the number to appear cause I keep my nails short for piano :laugh:

Crimson King

I am become death
BRoomer
When my girlfriend scratched a 4 in her arm for the trick, it bled a bit (being a girl she has longer nails) and stayed their for about 2 days. It was hard explaining to people why she had a 4 carved into her wrist.

Top Bottom