• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Atlantic North MAGFEST 2007 January 4th-7th Tyson's Corner, VA

Renegade

Smash Journeyman
Hey guys. Magfest is just around the corner. I feel it's my duty to tell you guys about it.

I will be heavily involved the running of the fighting game tourneys. a I'll make sure that a quality tourney will be had. (I.e. double elim 2/3 if resources permit, MLG standard rules)

Smash is a huge event at these kind of events, so it's a really good oppurtunity to show people what high level smash is like.

Cost is 35$ prereg for the whole weekend, 40$ at the door.

the website is Magfest.org

That i know of, there aren't any cash prizes so far, but there will be trophies and such to winners.

What this event is really about is a good time.

The planned tournament list for consoles is:

Tetris DS
Wii Sports
Wii Excite Truck
Magical Drop 3
Ace Combat Zero
Quarth
Dead or Alive 4
Mario Kart 64, DS
Gears of War
Halo 2
DDR

FIGHTMAN GAMES!
Guilty Gear XX Slash
Vampire Savior
Street Fighter 3: 3rd Strike
Super Smash Brothers 64, Melee
Tekken 5
Street Fighter 2 turbo
Marvel Vs. Capcom 2

kirbstir

Smash Lord
What day is ssbm going to be played? I doubt I could do 4th or 5th (since I work)

aho43

Smash Lord
Last years magfest didn't get much love. With Renegade's endorsement I'll definitely go, i'll advertise this on TA.net also. woot.

Vist

Smash Champion
sounds like a fun event. as long as i have some money and time, ill be there.. if not ill be squaring it up

J-Chance

Smash Rookie
In addition to the console events....

WHEN: Thursday, January 4th - Sunday, January 7th 2007

WHERE: Sheraton Premier Tysons Corner, Vienna, Virginia USA

WHAT: MAGFest M5 PC Tournaments sponsored by PNY Technologies

FEE: FREE to all MAGFest attendees!

After the lull from the holidays, start off the new 2007 year with a great exciting event. MAGFest M5 (http://www.magfest.org) is a music and gaming festival that features one of the largest video gaming parties and music concerts. MAGFest M5 will also be featuring a lot of cool contests, giveaways, and gaming competitions on both console and PC, as well as a BYOC LAN gaming room.

PNY Technologies, makers of the new XLR8 line of video graphics cards (GeForce 8800), RAM memory kits and other cool products geared towards gaming enthusiasts, has stepped-up to support MAGFest M5.

The PC Tournament area will be located on the Conference Level, just across from the BYOC LAN gaming room.

Not bringing a PC with you? . . . no problem. Our tournament room will have over 25 premium PC systems being provided by Intel®. Each system will feature Intel’s 2.93GHz/1066MHz Core™2 Extreme processor X6800 and a PNY graphics card.

Participants can win awesome prizes from PNY Technologies, SteelSeries and Dust-Off. You may even walk away with a CA$H prize too! Non-tournament participants can also win prizes through the daily product contests and giveaways.

Tournament game titles include* . . .

> Counter-Strike: 1.6 (top team will win $1000 cash + the new PNY XLR8 video cards)
> Age of Empires III: WarChiefs (winner will win the new PNY XLR8 video card)
> WarCraft 3: Frozen Throne 1v1
> Quake 4 1v1
> Unreal Tournament 2004 Instagib Tournaments
> Half-Life 2 Death Match Tournaments
> plus more PC and Console events happening each day!

* subject to change based on player interest

If you plan to participate in the tournaments and want to guarantee your spot . . . YOU MUST
pre-register at MAGFest.org (http://www.magfest.org/section.php?7) using the promotional code “ESPORTS”.

Check back here for update about tournament details and event schedules.

If you have questions, please contact us at info@esportservices.com

MAGFest M5 Ticket Information

Full Weekend Pass (January 4 - 7)
--------------------------------------------------
> $35 – Online Pre-Registration
includes $5 pre-registration discount when you use promotional code “ESPORTS”

> $40 – At-The-Door
mention "ESPORTS" when registering so we can include you the in tournament events

Single Day Pass (At-The-Door)
--------------------------------------------------
> $25 – Friday and/or Saturday (valid for single day tournament)
> $20 – Sunday (valid for single day tournament)
mention "ESPORTS" when registering so we can include you the in tournament events

Renegade

Smash Journeyman
A couple of things.

A preliminary schedule has Smash doubles on Sunday. I'm not aware of a singles tourney at this time.

Due to the massive # of people who probably would like to play smash, there will be some kind of "qualifying" in the main gaming room, methinks. Details to follow.

Being that the "spirit" of Magfest is more casual gaming, I highly recommend that people go for more than just one day (especially not sunday, since sunday closes earlier).

Think of it as a super huge giant fest, that just happens to have a tourney.

The game room is 24 hours too, which is a bonus.

I will post more info when I get it from brenden. Be sure that you have an advocate in me.

J-Chance

Smash Rookie
Thats not a problem man. Most people arent good at everything. It wont cost you anything extra to try though! As to why we are asking that people pre-register using the "ESPORTS" promotional code, we have to do that due to sponsor requests.

TOURNAMENT SCHEDULE

THURSDAY
• 4pm - - REGISTRATION*
• 6pm - - Unreal Tournament 2004 Instagib (win sponsor prizes)
• 8pm - - Half-Life 2 Death Match (win sponsor prizes)

FRIDAY
• 10am - - REGISTRATION*
• 12noon - - Age of Empires 3: WarChiefs (win a PNY XLR8 8800 GTX card)

SATURDAY
• 9am - - REGISTRATION*
• 10am - - Counter-Strike 1.6 (win $1000 cash and PNY XLR8 8800 GTX cards)

SUNDAY
• 9am - - REGISTRATION*
• 10am - - WarCraft 3: Frozen Throne / DoTA (win sponsor prizes)

* All tournament registrations WILL CLOSE 15 minutes before start times

Additionally, console and PC events will be taking place each day. Best of all, these tournaments are FREE to all MAGFest attendees.

If you plan to participate in the tournaments and want to guarantee your spot... make sure to pre-register using the promotional code “ESPORTS”.

If you have questions, please contact us at info@esportservices.com

Redd

thataintfalco.com
BRoomer
At those Pc games i prolly would only be good at 2 which is warcraft and unreal tournament..=p

LOL that sentence wins!

Is there a one day pass or something? I really can't stay the whole weekend, just Saturday. Isn't it like $20 or something for a day? If so I'll probably go.

CK drive me and stuff rofl.

usea

Smash Ace
I hope to see a bunch of rad folks at magfest. It's an awesome event. I doubt that I'll enter the ssbm tournament, but I will definitely play lots of it over the weekend. I'd highly recommend you attend magfest, whoever you are. Don't come with high expectations of the tournament, just come to have an absolutely amazing time.

ps I might be very drunk when you see me, but say hi anyway.

MASAHIROx

Smash Lord
can we go just for friendlies!? im dont have the time to stay for the duration of the tornament due to work and other stuff...

so i cant just randomly show up for a few hours for friendlies!?

if not. thats gay.

g-regulate

Smash Hero
yea i dont think im coming to this, everything sounds too complicated. just gimme a **** entry fee and set of payouts PLZ, i realize its supposed to be casual but i dont feel like paying 20$ to play a bunch of smashers i could play for free in my basement.

Aero

Smash Journeyman
I still don't know when the singles tournament is. Please tell me it's on the same day as the doubles tournament.

usea

Smash Ace
Just to clear up the confusion, magfest isn't a tournament. It's a 4 day long video game festival that happens to have free tournaments at it. I don't fault people for not wanting to go if they're just looking for a good tournament, because you will just be let down. I won't be entering the touraments for the same reason.

However, if you have the weekend free it's an amazing event and I highly recommend going if you're able. Do you ever listen to video game music arrangements from vgmix or ocremix? Like half the main remixers at those sites go to magfest every year. And many of them perform live at the concert. I know it sounds like I work for magfest or something, but I don't. Just trying to clear up what magfest is. It's not a tournament, and if you're expecting one you'll be disappointed. It's just a weekend of video games that rules.

aero said:
I still don't know when the singles tournament is. Please tell me it's on the same day as the doubles tournament.
From what they posted in the thread, and from my experience previous years, there won't be a singles tournament. We're lucky there is anything more than an FFA timed tourney.

aho43

Smash Lord
Renegade, just lemme know what day the tournaments for melee will be and I'll be there, unless its on Saturday. haha.

aho43

Smash Lord
Apparently Ross from the UK is going to this, Ross from the hub. I'm going to the Bmore Biweekly on Sat. but I'll go to this on Sunday for sure, just to get some matches with Ross, and Wes + Dire too of course. TOURNEY INFO? :p

Renegade

Smash Journeyman
There is a doubles tournament on sunday, that's it. No prizes, but i've heard there will be trophies of some sort to the winners.
I'm sorry for people looking for the cash/money/hoes part of tournaments, but I talked to brenden in July about this.
I tried to get MAGfest to go into more "serious" competition, and the amount of spectators there would certainly create more interest in those games. However, I got the reply "MAGfest is about casual gaming. Always will be"

Now, I will see to it that the tournaments that occur *which is a lot*, will be smooth and well directed.

But i'm in no way in charge of the event, I'm just helping out.

It's a pretty fun event if you ask me. Definitely go for the love of the game, not just tourney and money.

usea

Smash Ace
just got home. the singles tournament happened and it was good. I had to leave early sunday, so I didn't see you aho, and I didn't get to see doubles. I had good fun, magfest is nice

Apparently Ross from the UK is going to this, Ross from the hub
I am ross from the hub :O Are you confused, or did another ross who lives in the UK go to magfest?

Top Bottom