• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Mafia's Zero Suit Samus Impressions

ll Mafia ll

Smash Apprentice
Well, I am a dedicated Samus main, and I thought I might just try out/pick up ZSS for the heck of it.

I watched Claw's combo vid, and it was pretty good stuff.

I went to training mode and started messing around.

First, the combos with down B... wow.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wajTaimvo8w

I was basically just mashing buttons and I get some crazy combo...

So, ZSS has great combo potential with down B.

So, I started playing a few matches with comp to just test a few things out, and here are some observations.

ZSS is annoyingly light weight.
ZSS is fast, runs around and dash attacks pretty well.
Has decent KO moves.
Don't like the recovery....
Is a very fluid character, feels like most attacks have little lag, and the moves just complement each other.

----------------------

If anyone would take the time to look at some sample vids of me playing and give some random tips, I would appreciate it a lot. I didn't really have anyone to play against at the time, so I just fought comps.

1. Against a Diddy
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mJmDAuSe8bM

2. Against the ICs
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aGcJpFDUaNw

Thanks!

Kyriel

Smash Cadet
I'm going to assume you know that a good 75% of things you do against CPUs won't work on humans. You chose weird opponents lol, ZSS does better against taller people.

---

Anyways, ...

NeutralB: This is best used when you shorthop with a direction proportional to the openings left by the opponent.
SideB: You didn't full hop this once--it works better on humans.
DownB: Easily spotted, read, and punished.
DAIR: Always a bad idea.

DSmash: If you're opponent is at the ledge and you spam this, you will never hit with it unless your opponent thinks for a second that he's playing Melee and can exploit invincibility frames. If you spam it to use it as a defensive wall, you're going to get hit in the face. As lovely as this move is, it's hitbox isn't reliable enough to spam it without care.

RAR: You didn't do this once.
Glide Tossing: Also absent.

Recovery: The reason most ZSS's get gimped is because they make the conscious decision, "Hey, instead of landing on the stage and risking maybe 15%, I'm going to use my tether recovery and risk losing a stock." If you just plain make it onto the stage without any offense, and use your tether recoveries as an absolute last resort, you should be fine. Her DownB jump has an auto-wall jump for a reason, not to mention you can wall jump once after that as well (preferably not in that order).

You used her tilts a little to conservatively in my opinion, but to each his own.

Zero

Smash Hero
In your Diddy Kong video, rushing and dashgrabbing is not a particularly good thing to do as the animation is very laggy and is just begging to be disturbed. Grabbing with ZSS is not an ideal form of attack as there is a bit of starting lag, so only do it if you're guaranteed a hit, through stunning or shield grabbing. Glide tossing your armour pieces is always a good start and covers a nice distance. You use your fsmash a little too much, so you should work on that. Another thing, when someone is off the stage, don't be scared to follow them and send them a litle further, ZSS has an excellent recovery and you can utilise it, especially with Diddy Kong and his easily-gimped recovery.

Top Bottom