• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Mach Tornado too good?

Mysta

Smash Rookie
My question is how do you counter this move, if a meta decides to spam hit?

Some people may say simply just block it , but the startup is so quick that if its started from mid range you wont react in time also if your shield isn't at full , the tornado will take you of the shield mid way through. Ive experienced it multiple times, spot dodging is out of the question and rolling can be chased down.

I don't fully understand the properties of the tornado because sometimes you can out prioritize it but in most cases you wont and against a good meta this move is unpunishable because you can simply move away.

Short of a character with a counter or high priority projectile I personally don't see how to counter it .

Mike B

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
2895-8237-0519
It doesn't see full damage unless people are practically ontop of you, and people can just shield/airdodge out of it. He always has lag after it's finished. Spamming is the worst option because they'll take advantage of that.

it's balanced and a good way to mix stuff up after making your opponent not expect it... If it always goes off 100%, you need to start side attacks more than hanging around his head. Sorry, I dont know what to say.

WeXzuZ

Smash Apprentice
Go into the air, if Meta Knight follows he is in the helpless state which forces him to land before he can make another attack. Mach Tornado is not too good.

Mysta

Smash Rookie
You can not air dodge Mach Tornado unless its at the end of the animation, and If your shield isnt at full the tornado will take you out of the shield as it begins to wear down from the tornado towards the end of the animation.

You are more helpless in the air than on the ground, air dodging doesnt help and you can not outmanuever that tornado in the air unless you have multiple jumps, or on battlefield due to the multiple platforms, the move is unpunishable because you can maneuver it towards the end of the animation to avoid punishment. If your sitting on the person with the tornado through the entire animation your asking to be punished, move away after you done your business.

In any case How does the priority of the tornado work? Is it weaker from the sides, bottom, top?

greenmetaknightfan

Smash Rookie
two things that are bad about it:

1) u can attack from the bottom with a projectile and it will hit meta knight ( had this done to me many times with pikmin)

2) it has a tendency to bouce or slide off edges thus leaving meta knight in a helpless state and unable to grab legdges during this move

J0K3R

Smash Journeyman
Try to stay airborne(vertically not hoirzontally) and work on aerial dodges. Certain characters have up-b that have the right manueverability to avoid it,

MDK00

Smash Ace
mach tornado is too good and here in the meta knight thread secretly refuse to help the enemy defeat him. long live metaknight-sama!

M3T4KN1GHT FOR PRESIDENT

wh0o0o0o0!!!

...... there is no escape from mach tornado is used correct.... deal with it =)

xS A M U R A Ix

Smash Ace
Projectiles beat it. If you see him trying to move away from you at the end, chase him before the move is over. It's punishable even if done at ground level.

MDK00

Smash Ace
Projectiles beat it. If you see him trying to move away from you at the end, chase him before the move is over. It's punishable even if done at ground level.
shhh dont tell him that... he jus wants me to stop spammin it on him.:laugh:

ChromeSonic00

Smash Apprentice
It is good for trapping opponents on the ground (Before they DI out.) and especially in the air. But it can be stopped by projectiles very easily. When you use this move, you might not be able to grab the edge as much as his cape.

Kulla

Smash Journeyman
My friend DI's then air dodges out of it all the time. Don't really know what he does but yeah...its annoying

RaigothDagon

Smash Journeyman
Smash DI once at the edge of tornado when they are going in opposite direction. Countering is easy, and if they spam, then just get smarter.

Ojanya

Smash Ace
Get above him. It's hard to follow someone up with MT. Afterward, try to punish.

sxiz

Smash Cadet
The last hit has some knockback so you can't really punish it well.

Get below them and utilt/uair/usmash, the bottom is the weak point and to prevent the tornado from rising you must give up some of its length.

Taso

Smash Apprentice
To the guys saying that projectiles do it, you're being a bit misleading. Visit the compendium of information about projectiles vs. Mach Tornado, as someone did make one.

Certain ones work, others don't.

My recommendation is to use someone with decent ranged Dair, as the top middle of the tornado is very susceptible to attacks. Anything thrown down on him will injure him.

Beyond that, I do agree that certain projectiles(Wolf, Falco, Pit) are rather effective in beating the cyclone.

Top Bottom