• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Luma Separation: Your Strategies!

Augi Jr.

Smash Cadet
As we know, RosaLuma's ability to be in two places at once is a very epic advantage that lets us really control the stage effectively.

The topic of discussion is, in what situations do you find yourself using Luma while separated from Rosalina?

For me, it seems to work well with any character thats a little slower (as they have a harder time getting past the star-puff and have to more carefully plan their approach). However, I've also had it play some mind games with some faster characters like ZSS or Mac that makes them second guess their approach (star bits to screw them up while they try and rush towards you is really nice as well).

While stalling an opponents approach is one way to make use of this separation ability, what other strategic uses have you found when mind gaming your opponent?

How successful are you at using a separated Luma to edgeguard?

Personally, when it comes to edgeguarding, I've been trying to perfect getting Luma positioned just over the edge and then using Dair (still working on getting it just right).

Another thing I've made use of is, while Luma is returning to your side, he's still controllable, you can surprise opponents with a very fast sneak attack from behind if you time it just right on Luma's return.

What other tricks have you guys found?

Dapplegonger

Smash Journeyman
NNID
PetX-tremist
3DS FC
5129-1289-1208
I almost always use a Luma shot to cover my recovery. As I'm falling back to the stage, Luma Shot, grab ledge, jump up, call back Luma, repeat until they try to attack Rosalina.

Other than that, Luma is good against campy opponents, and characters with counter will sometimes forget about Luma. Even if they do use counter, there's enough lag for Rosalina to come for a hit. A fast Luma Shot can also catch opponents by surprise, and I can usually even get in a jab combo if Luma stops at the shield. As far as keeping them out, I'll just keep them out until I get rushed or Luma is getting beat up (protip, don't try to save a Luma getting hit by a Little Mac, Captain Falcon, or Bowser Jr jab combo: seriously, don't, let them die) or if I need another Luma shot.

As far as edgeguarding goes, if an opponent is falling down to recover low, I jump up to about their level, start charging Luma shot, and release when the opponent is near my level. I don't usually get it, but it is almost always a guaranteed kill if you manage to land it, and with better timing and knowledge of the opponent's fall speed, it could be deadly. Aside from that I just keep Luma with me or leave him back on the stage while using Rosalina to edgeguard (most of her aerials are good for edgeguarding, even her uair if you find yourself below your opponent. It won't kill ever in that situation, but it can catch a recovering opponent by surprise. As long as your not saving them that is.)

Sudai

Stuff here
I like to shoot Luma out where I would like/expect a fight to happen and move there myself. I feel like the combo potential and range between Rosa+Luma is higher that way than with her in standard follow. That way you can also retreat behind or go in front of Luma making for more of a mix-up game.

TurnUp

Smash Apprentice
I found a way to make Luma do the jab combo while I was attacking with forward tilt repeatably but I can't replicate it for the life of me.

Smasher89

Smash Lord
aoutocanceled nair to callback is a cool setup for a delayed luma callback meaning you have good control over lumas retreating move, for example a dtilt that reaches very far and sets up for a grab or smash if it hits the opponent.

Shiliski

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
4570-7099-6924
I like to use Luma Shot, but charge it so that the Luma stops right before impact. This usually baits a roll or shield, after which I can follow up with Star Bits spam for 20-30 damage.

Last edited:
Top Bottom