• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Luma hitbox manipulation, and other tips & tricks.

DanGR

BRoomer
BRoomer
Another video for you guys! Everything you need to know is in the video.

Lavani

Indigo Destiny
All this time I've been using dashing to lower Luma's position, I never noticed it sank when you crouched...

The more you Luma, indeed.

bmaster77

Smash Apprentice
NNID
bobatapioca
Great video thanks, quick question: Is there a way you have to hit with the nair to make it a force getup. I feel the force trip situation can sometimes be random.

Baskerville

That's a paddlin'
NNID
RedGazelle7
3DS FC
4184-3881-5805
I'm loving this character even more now. Thanks! Didn't even know that you can change Luma's position while crouching.

Parcheesy

Smash Ace
NNID
Large-tree
3DS FC
4656-7185-5694
That crouching thing is going to alleviate a lot of frustrating going against good Pikachus and Kirbys. Thanks!

Shanoa

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Davin134
3DS FC
2809-8856-1709
Very informative video. I already knew these techniques but it should be very helpful for those who don't. :D

Thanks for uploading!

Last edited:

DanGR

BRoomer
BRoomer
Great video thanks, quick question: Is there a way you have to hit with the nair to make it a force getup. I feel the force trip situation can sometimes be random.
The lingering hitbox near the end has the locking properties. It's easier to get the forced getup when you hit them directly after knocking them down, and when you hit with some of the last hitboxes of the feet of the nair.

Last edited:

Losho

Smash Journeyman
NNID
TheLosho
3DS FC
3883-7759-0830
Great video! Rosalina&Luma are definitely the most technical fighters!

Last edited:

Vermillion

Smash Rookie
Awesome video.

I've a few questions on the combo that happens at 2:37. Is it a true combo ? Does anyone know a bit more about the inputs ?
I'm noticing custom moves are very popular with Rosalina. Are they really worth it ? The fact that you can't use them in competitions or in For Glory kinda ruins it.

ParanoidDrone

Smash Master
Awesome video.

I've a few questions on the combo that happens at 2:37. Is it a true combo ? Does anyone know a bit more about the inputs ?
I'm noticing custom moves are very popular with Rosalina. Are they really worth it ? The fact that you can't use them in competitions or in For Glory kinda ruins it.
Now that Apex is done, I've seen a lot more people in support of customs. It's worth pushing for their inclusion IMO, basically every character benefits from them.

Rosalina's best customs are Luma Warp, Floaty Star Bit, Shooting Star Bit, and Guardian Luma. Launch Star Attack is also worthy of note if only because it gives her recovery a hitbox.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Launch Star Attack is a mixed bag though, since you don't travel as far as the standard Launch Star, AND Rosalina halts her momentum after finishing the move.

AlMoStLeGeNdArY

Smash Hero
NNID
almostlegendary
3DS FC
1349-7081-6691
So if you tap A while luma is in jab 2 when Rosalina gets up you're going to have access to Rosalina and tilts and aerials. I haven't been able to grab out of it and I don't remember if you can use smash attacks but it's pretty cool.

DanGR

BRoomer
BRoomer
You can grab or use smash attacks during luma's rapid jab if you let go of "A," then hit the c-stick or z, and then hold down "A" again very quickly afterwards.

@ Vermillion Vermillion no it's not a true combo- just a mixup.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
You can grab or use smash attacks during luma's rapid jab if you let go of "A," then hit the c-stick or z, and then hold down "A" again very quickly afterwards.
Not everyone uses the GameCube controller though, so depending on your control scheme, you may have to alter which buttons you use to attack and grab.

Mondrae205

Smash Rookie

@ Vermillion Vermillion no it's not a true combo- just a mixup.
I don't think people realize how big this is. I tested it and Luma's rapid jab can be tough for some characters to get through. For example Mario needs to use a smash attack to stop luma, otherwise you can hide inside him and all of his other attacks clank or just plain lose to luma and luma keeps on spinning in place. However some characters give no cares and can just tilt luma and he gets hurt and stops (shulk).
You can easily hide in luma and you can not be grabbed, so you can just sit in shield or roll behind luma with no penalty. meanwhile you can do anything at all including up B, grabbing, pummeling, and throwing.
If you do notice your opponent is about to try to break luma out of it you can call luma back with down b (neutral b doesn't work if you are too far away you just wave your wand but if you are close you do luma shot) and if you have custom 3 luma is invincible. You can also use star bits to interrupt their attack and call luma back.

deepseadiva

Bodybuilding Magical Girl
3DS FC
1779-0766-2622
I love the stationary spinning Luma thing

Top Bottom