• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Luigi's Mansion: Stage Research

LiteralGrill

Smokin' Hot~
Because @ ParanoidDrone ParanoidDrone has put in such incredible work with his stage research threads, I thought it was about time I popped in and helped out while providing research to some threads I in particular am interested in, as well as some of the more odd stages folks probably wont be seeing as much. So to start, I have done research on Luigi's Mansion!

Previously Covered
Garden of Hope
Mushroom Kingdom U
Wuhu Island
Mario Circuit
Skyloft
Wooly World
Norfair
Orbital Gate Assault
Windy Hill Zone
Kongo Jungle 64

Layout

The layout of the stage is relatively simple, it has three levels to fight on: the ground floor, the second floor, and the roof. The roof is the only plain that can be jumped and dropped through - with the exception of a small piece in the center, the middle level has a thickened floor which cannot be penetrated by characters, attacks or items from above, but some attacks have hitboxes that can hit through from below. When the mansion is entirely destroyed it looks similar to Final Destination. There are two small platforms that also appear at random: they have no timer or set pattern to when they show or vanish, and have a slight bounce to them if landed on.

There are four pillars on the stage that each take 26% damage to destroy. You cannot destroy one of the lower pillars until the one above is destroyed. Once destroyed, the particular quadrant of the house will be destroyed along with it. The pillar absord som moves (like Fox's Laser) while letting other go through it (like R.O.B.'s laser) .If you destroy the entire building, it takes about 20 seconds to regenerate.

One last interesting aspect of the house is if all players stand outside the house while it is fully in tact, you cannot see inside the house.

Name|Picture|Notes
Initial Layout|
|The initial layout of the stage. All of the pillars are in tact, and the entire house is built and ready to battle on.
House With No One Inside|
|Anything left inside is hidden!
Top Right Quadrant Destroyed|
| The bottom pillar on the right hand side can now be destroyed.
Top Left Quadrant Destroyed|
|The bottom pillar on the left side can now be destroyed.
Top Two Quadrants Destroyed|
|Now both bottom pillars can be destroyed.
Right Bottom Quadrant Only|
| Now only one pillar on the right be destroyed.
Left Bottom Quadrant Only|
|Now only one pillar on the left can be destroyed.
Right Side In Tact Only|
|Only the right side of the mansion is left.
Left Side In Tact Only|
|Only the left side of the mansion is left.
Mansion Fully Destroyed|
|The mansion fully destroyed. It will regenerate in about 20 seconds.

Summary:
  • The building can have 9 different "transformations"
  • Each pillar takes 26% damage to destroy
  • Bottom pillars can only be destroyed once top pillars are destroyed
  • If the entire mansion is destroyed it will regenerate in 20 seconds
  • There are solid forms on the bottom floor of the mansion when it is in tact

Last edited:

Piford

Smash Lord
NNID
SuperZelda
It might just be me, but the pictures are incredibly small. Like I can't even see what's in them without clicking on them. Other than that good job!

LiteralGrill

Smokin' Hot~
It might just be me, but the pictures are incredibly small. Like I can't even see what's in them without clicking on them. Other than that good job!
That is sort of the point. When the pictures are full size it makes them impossible to see without massively scrolling, and it makes the rest of the text difficult to read. This way you can expand the pictures only when you want/need to. so it's more readable.

ParanoidDrone

Smash Master
I found that even without resizing, the forum will shrink the pictures to prevent WTFHUEG issues. You can safely get rid of the spoiler tags unless you're particularly concerned about saving bandwidth.

Good work by the way, I had forgotten about the side platforms until you mentioned them here.

LiteralGrill

Smokin' Hot~
I found that even without resizing, the forum will shrink the pictures to prevent WTFHUEG issues. You can safely get rid of the spoiler tags unless you're particularly concerned about saving bandwidth.

Good work by the way, I had forgotten about the side platforms until you mentioned them here.
They do? Every thread of yours I've seen has shown massively for me and I have to scroll to see them, maybe I have a problem on my end. Weird...

ParanoidDrone

Smash Master
They do? Every thread of yours I've seen has shown massively for me and I have to scroll to see them, maybe I have a problem on my end. Weird...
On my computer they're decently they're maybe a third of the width of the overall post, if that. (The sizing is sometimes inconsistent, refreshing tends to help.) Clicking on them then expands them to full size.

If it matters, I'm using Chrome. IDK about IE or Firefox.

Last edited:
NNID
Shado_Chimera
3DS FC
2019-9854-8378
Brought this up kinda late, but how big are these stages? Will you be testing it? Some stages are being considered banned because of their size, so I thought it might be useful to know exactly how big they all are.

ParanoidDrone

Smash Master
Brought this up kinda late, but how big are these stages? Will you be testing it? Some stages are being considered banned because of their size, so I thought it might be useful to know exactly how big they all are.
Most of the screenshots have characters visible, so they can be used to eyeball a rough estimate.

This stage in particular is a returning stage from Brawl as well, so its size is already well understood in general terms by most people.

GamerGuy09

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-3742-4712-6319
You guys know you can click on the pictures to englarge them right?

Anyway, i think Luigi's Mansion is fine now. It has no Hazards and it is pretty difficult to exploit the platforms.

NNID
Shado_Chimera
3DS FC
2019-9854-8378
How would you recommend we measure it?
Maybe by what % a character dies at from specific spots?
Most of the screenshots have characters visible, so they can be used to eyeball a rough estimate.

This stage in particular is a returning stage from Brawl as well, so its size is already well understood in general terms by most people.
Maybe I'm mistaken but don't some stages have varying distance between off screen and the blast zone? There's also Windy Hill Zone which might seem bigger than it is, because of the gravity effect. it also wasn't necessarily directed towards this stage, just thought of it now.

I understand why it wouldn't be done (especially for stages like Orbital Gate Assault), just thought I'd ask anyway to see what you thought.

ParanoidDrone

Smash Master
We could do that, I suppose, but it's just a lot of extra work I'm not sure we're really up to doing at this point. (We're already rushing as it is, actually.)

It does sound like an interesting project, actually, but I think it may be better suited for an after-action thing, perhaps a simple text list of "kill % on Mario with Bowser's fully charged fsmash, as measured by appearance of black lightning." Or something along those lines.

ZeekLTK

Smash Cadet
So why is this stage listed as "Banned"? It seems fine to me. Just because of the middle floors?

Top Bottom