• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Luigification: An Evolution

D

Deleted member

Anyone who has evr used both of the Mario Bros. in either of the Smash games know that they have similar movesets, at least in terms of special moves. Let's compare them, shall we?

Super Smash Bros.

Mario
B--Fireball (Throws a Fireball)
^B--Super Jump Punch (Jumps upward, damaging anyone above him)
vB--Mario Tornado (Spins around, damages anyone close enough)​

Luigi
B--Fireball (Same as Mario's)
^B--Super Jump Punch (Same as Mario's)
vB--Luigi Cyclone (Same as Mario Tornado)​

In the original, their special movesets were pretty much the same. Now, for Melee:

Super Smash Bros. Melee

Mario

<B>--Cape (Reflects projectiles)
^B--Super Jump Punch (Jumps upwards, damaging anyone above him)
vB--Mario Tornado (Spins around, damaging anyone close enough)

Luigi
<B>--Green Missile (Blasts himself to the left or right)

You have probablly noticed that the <B>'s for Mario and Luigi are different. Now, for Brawl:

Super Smash Bros. Brawl

Mario

vB--F.L.U.D.D. (Fires a stream of non-damaging water that pushes opponents backwards)
Final Smash--Mario Finale (Unleashes a barrage of flames that travels horiontally across the screen, damaging anyone who gets caught)

Luigi
vB--Luigi Cyclone (Spins around, damaging anyone close enough)
Final Smash--Negative Zone (Creates a large, color-inverted orb around him that causes opponents to take much damage, sleep, etc.)​

This time, Mario and Luigi share a mere two special moves--Fireball and Super Jump Punch. Even though both brothers still have the spinning move, Mario's has been downgraded to standard attack, F.L.U.D.D. replacing it. Also, Luigi has a different Final Smash. Apparently, if things keep up, eventually Luigi will have a completely different special moveset than Mario. Luigi is still Luigified, but for how long?

Losnar

Smash Journeyman
Luigi's cyclone attack was never the same as Mario's. It had different range and effects.

D

Deleted member

When I say that an attack is the same, it means that it's same for the most part. I'm not really into all the major details of an attack, like hitbox, etc. I'm just a Smash fan, and I noticed that technically, Luigi is no longer a clone.

Magnacor

Smash Ace
Anyone who has evr used both of the Mario Bros. in either of the Smash games know that they have similar movesets, at least in terms of special moves. Let's compare them, shall we?

Super Smash Bros.

Mario
^B--Super Jump Punch (Jumps upward, damaging anyone above him)
vB--Mario Tornado (Spins around, damages anyone close enough)​

Luigi

In the original, their special movesets were pretty much the same. Now, for Melee:

Super Smash Bros. Melee

Mario

vB--Mario Tornado (Spins around, damaging anyone close enough)

Luigi

You have probablly noticed that the <B>'s for Mario and Luigi are different. Now, for Brawl:

Super Smash Bros. Brawl

Mario

vB--F.L.U.D.D. (Fires a stream of non-damaging water that pushes opponents backwards)
Final Smash--Mario Finale (Unleashes a barrage of flames that travels horiontally across the screen, damaging anyone who gets caught)

Luigi
vB--Luigi Cyclone (Spins around, damaging anyone close enough)
Final Smash--Negative Zone (Creates a large, color-inverted orb around him that causes opponents to take much damage, sleep, etc.)​

This time, Mario and Luigi share a mere two special moves--Fireball and Super Jump Punch. Even though both brothers still have the spinning move, Mario's has been downgraded to standard attack, F.L.U.D.D. replacing it. Also, Luigi has a different Final Smash. Apparently, if things keep up, eventually Luigi will have a completely different special moveset than Mario. Luigi is still Luigified, but for how long?
Now if only our space animals got the same treatment...

Losnar

Smash Journeyman
Don't QUOTE unless it's necessary. I hate it when people quote huge posts.

Magnacor

Smash Ace
Don't QUOTE unless it's necessary. I hate it when people quote huge posts.
At least I'm not one of those people who quote big posts just so they could say "Lol, big post... must quote!"

On topic, yeah hopefully the term Luigi-fied clone won't make sense after another few years.

GoldenS1104

Smash Journeyman
I don't like this list. Just because they are the same move in many cases doesn't mean they have the same affect. For example, in SSB64 Mario's fireball arced while Luigi's went straight out. In Melee, Luigi's ^B brought him straight up, while Mario's took him up diagonally. To call many of these moves "the same" is misleading. Most of the moves that you listed as being the same are in fact different in one way or another.

Losnar

Smash Journeyman
off topic:

that was your 420th post, Goldens1104

Gratz

on topic:

i got nothin, sry

D

Deleted member

I don't like this list. Just because they are the same move in many cases doesn't mean they have the same affect. For example, in SSB64 Mario's fireball arced while Luigi's went straight out. In Melee, Luigi's ^B brought him straight up, while Mario's took him up diagonally. To call many of these moves "the same" is misleading. Most of the moves that you listed as being the same are in fact different in one way or another.
Luigi's upb has always been different then Mario's. His only does 1 damage unless you sweetspot it. Mario's is not even called super jump punch.
Okay, just for the record, they're BASICALLY the smae attack. That doesn't mean they're identical. I am aware of the differences between Mario's Super Jump Punch and Luigi's in both Melee and Brawl. Just don't flame me, I just pointing out the evolution of Luigi's special moveset.

Hyper_Ridley

Smash Champion
Now if only our space animals got the same treatment...
Maybe we should start calling characters that have different A moves but simillar B moves "Wolf-fied" clones.

Anyways, I'm glad to see Luigi is becoming more differenciated from Mario. Though, honestly, I would kind-of prefer it if Luigi always keeps the Green Fireball; It's a great way of embodying the similar-yet-different playstyles the Mario Bros. Have.

Magnacor

Smash Ace
Maybe we should start calling characters that have different A moves but simillar B moves "Wolf-fied" clones.

Anyways, I'm glad to see Luigi is becoming more differenciated from Mario. Though, honestly, I would kind-of prefer it if Luigi always keeps the Green Fireball; It's a great way of embodying the similar-yet-different playstyles the Mario Bros. Have.
Agreed. Though it would have to be "Wolf-ified." I agree about the fireball to because although they are both two unique characters, they're still brothers. The fireball is an important move in both characters history so I'm fine with them sharing it.

SmashBro99

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4957-2747-2945
I wouldn't ever want Luigi to not have fireballs or the super jump, those are the only 2 moves they should ALWAYS have in common.

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
Luigi's tornado in 64 repelled enemies, just like Melee's Luigi Tornado.

I remember clearly because while playing 64 I got the idea of countering Uair spammers with the Luigi Tornado (which has high priority in Melee). In 64, it was a bit harder to rise with Luigi's tornado, but nowhere NEAR as hard as it's to rise with the Luigi tornado in Melee.

Top Bottom