• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Luigi vs Mario?

jyrenth

Smash Rookie
Looking at tier lists, it seems it is unanimous that Mario is better than Luigi. Why? It seems like they are nearly identical, except Luigi has better B moves.

What gives?

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
You could search for a topic that relates the variations of Mario and Luigi and compares them. Just a suggestion.

mooseproduce

Smash Ace
Mario's fireballs are much, much better than Luigi's, and fireballs can make a HUGE difference. At lower levels of play, people generally get hit by them a lot, and at higher levels dealing with a fireball can leave you open to a skilled player, if only for a few frames-- but a few frames is, obviously, all you need if you're really good.

Edgeguarding, in particular, is one thing that Luigi's 'balls can pretty much just NOT DO. Like, at all. ^_^

Besides that, though, I'm really not sure why people seem to assume Mario's superiority. His short hop is shorter, yes, but that only really makes him easier to play at lower levels, not necessarily BETTER. (Clearly, it makes you use different tactics at higher levels with Luigi... but "different" isn't the same as "worse".)

I forget if Luigi's or Mario's smash moves are better; I seem to find that Mario's usmash is faster--and the hitbox extends further behind Mario than Luigi's--but Luigi's lasts longer (it can hit in some instances that REALLY look like the hitbox should be gone by that frame ^_^).

Anyways, Luigi's Up+B can never, EVER be overlooked. A finisher like that can even a playing field like nobody's buisiness. X| Also, the sheer amount of recovery height available is crazy-- Luigi's down+B can easily get as much height as most character's double-jumps, and his up+B has surprisingly good priority/hitbox size.

Mario's dtilt is wayyy cooler though. :p

Mausx3

Smash Rookie
Your point of view is very good mooseproduce, and I also think that Luigi is unappreciated. And seeing the pros and contras I think that Luigi deserve a little more fans if we found some way to say it.

I love that powerful move Up+B of luigi and the Down+B gives all the damage that should give he movement, not as Mario. The user must know the character very well to know at what time it could do the movement for give the most of hits, or better more, give it all.

Saying that all, I don't really know who could win...
I'm a user of Mario even more than Luigi. But I think a very skilled user of luigi can win against Mario's deadly moves.

mooseproduce

Smash Ace
marios dair is escapable and easy to overprioritize woooohooooo

luigis downb hits on like frame 1 and stops combos like nobodys buisiness and his finisher is ********

whooohohohohoooooo

SuPeRbOoM

Smash Master
marios dair is escapable and easy to overprioritize woooohooooo

luigis downb hits on like frame 1 and stops combos like nobodys buisiness and his finisher is ********

whooohohohohoooooo
luigi's dair is escapable omg whaa?

dude small short hop will always be better, if luigi had a small SH he would be better than mario but he has a high one so he sucks

Fabrian

Smash Journeyman
Mario's fireballs are much, much better than Luigi's, and fireballs can make a HUGE difference. At lower levels of play, people generally get hit by them a lot, and at higher levels dealing with a fireball can leave you open to a skilled player, if only for a few frames-- but a few frames is, obviously, all you need if you're really good.

Edgeguarding, in particular, is one thing that Luigi's 'balls can pretty much just NOT DO. Like, at all. ^_^

Besides that, though, I'm really not sure why people seem to assume Mario's superiority. His short hop is shorter, yes, but that only really makes him easier to play at lower levels, not necessarily BETTER. (Clearly, it makes you use different tactics at higher levels with Luigi... but "different" isn't the same as "worse".)

I forget if Luigi's or Mario's smash moves are better; I seem to find that Mario's usmash is faster--and the hitbox extends further behind Mario than Luigi's--but Luigi's lasts longer (it can hit in some instances that REALLY look like the hitbox should be gone by that frame ^_^).

Anyways, Luigi's Up+B can never, EVER be overlooked. A finisher like that can even a playing field like nobody's buisiness. X| Also, the sheer amount of recovery height available is crazy-- Luigi's down+B can easily get as much height as most character's double-jumps, and his up+B has surprisingly good priority/hitbox size.

Mario's dtilt is wayyy cooler though. :p
you can slide luigi's upsmash making it have a way bigger horizontal distance.
Anyways there is something special with luigi's upsmash. if you press forward and back really quick before the animation starts he will jump higher.

shadenexus18

Smash Master
NNID
ForteEXE1986
This is kind of a difficult question to answer. I own with both of them on Smash 64. Maybe since Luigi is a bit taller than Mario then he has a bit more "reach" in his moves. Furthermore, Luigi has his killer Fire Uppercut (aka Shadows of Dark Creatures) while Mario just has his coin uppercut.

Mario can spike peeps down to oblivion with his Mario Tornado while Luigi sends them in a different direction when he does it. Most likely up in the air.

Luigi has more lag time in the air than Mario.

Finally, they can both use the Mario Tornado/Luigi Cyclone as a quadruple jump.

Yep, they both have there pros and there cons.

mooseproduce

Smash Ace
"There is something special with luigi's upsmash. if you press forward and back really quick before the animation starts he will jump higher."

:| You mean Up+B, right?

And I forgot to mention Luighi's slideyness, which is the bomb shaznat.

SmashThugZ

Smash Journeyman
and here I always thought you win by getting rid of the other guy's stocks
didn't know it was getting money

scandalscooper

Smash Rookie
I like and play Luigi better then Mario but Mario is cool to. I say it depends who's playing as Mario and Luigi that really matters. In the right hands they both can own. I like both there Down B's. Luigi's Up B is way better then Mario's and Mario's Fireballs beats Luigi's big time.

ant-d

Smash Lord
Anyways there is something special with luigi's upsmash. if you press forward and back really quick before the animation starts he will jump higher.
huh? [i think he means Up+B too]

You don't have to press forward and back by the way.

Same goes for Mario.

It gives you 3 frames extra height. This means you can fall for an extra 3 frames and still make it back.

Johnknight1

Upward and Forward, Positive and Persistent
NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
Up B and up smash with Luigi cna never be overlooked. Fireballs don't do that much in an experienced match. Mario is better for the msot part, but never be in mid high/ high damage in mainly close ranged combat, just becuase of his up B alone. In mid or high damages, that is when Luigi is better than Mario.

Fabrian

Smash Journeyman
huh? [i think he means Up+B too]

You don't have to press forward and back by the way.

Same goes for Mario.

It gives you 3 frames extra height. This means you can fall for an extra 3 frames and still make it back.
yeah i meant up -b but I guess the forward and back thing is only for keyboard... O.o I was testing it yesterday that was the only way I could do it.

MattB22890

Smash Cadet
fireballs help a lot in ssb johnknight1, it allows people to approach easier, both luigig and mario are good, out of personal opinion i like mario more, but ive seen so much better combos with lugi on emularena, i would say lugi(-mario, though its really hard to say

Top Bottom