• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Luigi vs Ike?

Zaycko

Smash Cadet
Hello, lately i have been having trouble defeating Ike, it seems really impossible to me to defeat him with Luigi, and i always end up being 2 stocked by them when theyre at 180%, any help on how to deal with them? :/

Wa_Black

Smash Apprentice
ike is one of the few characters i can confidently roll behind and upb. His move have a lot of lag and come out really slow, but he does have a lot of range and knockback. But if you can get in close, your moves come out quicker, and you can react to some of his moves with a roll behind up b., like his counter.

louie g

Smash Journeyman
What black said, you're gonna have to respect Ike's range and hitboxes, but the speed of your attacks will consume him. It's good to pelt him with fire balls and give a good few pokes with luigi's longer ranged attacks and back off a bit (like back air), and combo him to oblivion when he leaves himself open too much. Be sure to try and back air him away when he's offstage trying to recover too!

Zaycko

Smash Cadet
What black said, you're gonna have to respect Ike's range and hitboxes, but the speed of your attacks will consume him. It's good to pelt him with fire balls and give a good few pokes with luigi's longer ranged attacks and back off a bit (like back air), and combo him to oblivion when he leaves himself open too much. Be sure to try and back air him away when he's offstage trying to recover too!
Ugh, nothing works, srsly i have not beaten a single ike in smash, i cant even kill cpu's, hes way too strong, he always scores a lucky on me, i can build up % on him but im never able to get close enough to actually kill him, pls im really desperate, any more tips away from just up B

Wa_Black

Smash Apprentice
Ike is similar to Charizard because they've both really strong, have a lot of range, but have a lot of lag, so like I said you can roll behind them and get good punishes. Unlike charizard, ike can't do whatever he wants to you. Luigi has a huge weakness when it comes to punishing moves because of the amount that he slides back, which is why it's hard against quick characters because if you spot dodge they normally have time to roll away from you, which Luigi doesn't have the best options for. Ike is a character who you can spot dodge/roll behind and still have time to punish. Also unlike charizard, Ike doesn't have a good move to armor through your moves. So ike can't get away with murder on Luigi like other characters can.

If he rolls behind you or Jumps at you: Up smash. It has a small hitbox behind it, so it can catch rolls that go behind you, also, u-tilt is the best option at low percentages because it leads to combos.

If he misses a move: It's good to stay just outside of his range and charge/throw out a forward smash for a whiff punish. Any time you see him whiff a move use f smash if your out of range of your up smash.

His charge attack move is broken. I call anything broken that isn't heavily balanced like Luigi is. I might be wrong on this but I swear I've seen Ike's cancel this, and they can hold onto it as long they want. I avoid this move like the plauge, so I don't know whether or not's it's punishable. I'm pretty sure I deal with it by throwing out fireballs.

If you think he's going to counter or spot dodge in front of you, charge that f smash and let it go when it's safe; you have to let it go quickly, but not too quickly for the counter because they seem to last longer than they recover.

When ever you seem him charging or doing a slow move roll behind him and up smash. WARNING.You need to learn the proper ranges to roll behind him because a LOT of his move also hit behind him and if wind up in front of him... You're dead.

Your goal is to try and get Ike to do stuff and punish him for it. I don't like the play style that this game promotes, but you never want to be the aggressor vs a character like Ike because if you make one mistake, you're done for.

Ike is part of the handful of characters I don't think Luigi loses to. I actually think Luigi beats Ike because I'm not scared of anything Ike can do. Ganondorf has the dashing grab and Charizard has Flare Blitz and Rock Smash, but Ike? Everything he has that's deadly can be seen a mile away. If you're getting killed by ike you're doing too much. Just approach and wait for him do something and start throwing when you smell blood.

Zaycko

Smash Cadet
Phew, i finally defeated them :D, up smash seems to be effective when theyre on the air, and fireballs work too :D

louie g

Smash Journeyman
Ugh, nothing works, srsly i have not beaten a single ike in smash, i cant even kill cpu's, hes way too strong, he always scores a lucky on me, i can build up % on him but im never able to get close enough to actually kill him, pls im really desperate, any more tips away from just up B
Phew, i finally defeated them :D, up smash seems to be effective when theyre on the air, and fireballs work too :D
Awesome job man, keep in mind that luigi's dashgrabs work wonders with punishing, and when he's offstage, he can't respond to you too well other than side B/up B, so swat him away as much as you can.

Last edited:
Top Bottom