• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Luigi v. Climbers?

Tharn

Smash Rookie
I'm a pretty decent Luigi main, but, I can't beat my friends ICs. It's a lousy deal ;[ What's your strategy to beat them?

Micheloxx

Smash Ace
well, what i can tell u is that u have a LOT of disadventage vs them, so, u cannot use fireballs NEVER, dont grab exept the popo is alone, i mean the blue IC, try to separe them, and dont use jabs, use tilts, and dont try to combo a lot, u woulldn not be able to combo, so try to get him out of the platform.., DONT GRAB..

ppa0

Smash Journeyman
wierd... cuz luigi > ICs atleast in my opinion, i played few ICs in my day and i never had any trouble at all against them, i dont really have a strategy to tell you how to beat them but... short hop double aerials work pretty good, try something like SH dair -> nair and if they get hit by nair and dont DI its an automatic aerial most of the time, try grabbing too, its a bit risky but if you grab whether it be popo or not, if you down throw em right away and they dont DI its another automatic aerial, so try to mess around with that, and if that didnt help maybe record some matches and other pplz can help you cuz i stink :p

TheZeroFaReal

Smash Apprentice
One of my friends main Ice Climbers and I have no problems at all. In my opinion Luigi has a pretty nice advantage against them.

First off, what I think helps is that luigi has a lot of attacks that can split Nana or Popo. For example, down smash can lead to a fair or bair. When the non attacking IC is seperated Dair it away. Up smash to an aerial works too. Catch your friend off guard with the tornado because it sets them up perfectly for an aerial.

Grabs are really useful to be against Ice Climbers if done right. I really prefer a back or forward throw because when you spin the IC you can use them as a projectile to hit their brother or sister. Down throw fast to an aerial also works.

Finishers I think are really easy against IC's because when one's gone, if you're lucky enough that your friends single IC sucks, you have a good road ahead. Unfortunaly my friend can play single IC so when it's at high damage I use Up-Smashes or Grab to an aerial. I forward smash probably the least cause if you miss really really big lag time. If you want to forward smash make sure you mind game the ice climber into it.

Recovery wise, IC's are basically just mind games so edgehog/guard them with the best of your abilities.

Problems encountered are the grabs they can get on you. Wobblings a *****. Approaching them can be diffucult if they shield grab or wave dash into a desynch into a grab.

Luigi in my opinon has the advantage because whenever I hit a frikken Ice Climber I feel like they die so fast.

Stages I suggest against Ice Climbers could be FoD, Yoshi's Island, and Battlefield. Basically the main three with platforms. I don't suggest Dream Land or Final Destination because the ground is wide which means more room to grab combo for the IC.

Good Luck =P

nublet06

Smash Lord
luigi is good on IC. i personally love FD too because they cant reach you on that level. i think platforms give the IC a better chance to combo you. so on FD they will only have the wobbles as an obtion. and since FD is so wide and luigi WD > than ic wavedash its really easy to bait the IC player in to looking dumb.

do a short hop down air......and waveland backwards. this will often get the IC to charge at you and try to get a grab in some way. (jump cancel or wavedash) but since you wavedashed back all they are really doing is running in to your next attack. its too good of a strategy.

luigi combos IC amazingly....and nearly all of his moves seperate them very well. seperat ethem and destroy them before they get back together.

RedYoshi92

Smash Lord
heres some advice that I think I can give you

1.Use Dairs,Bairs,Fairs to seperate them

2.Edgehogging them can be hard,except if there is 1 IC

3.Grab when there is only 1 IC,because If there is 2 then the other one can attack you

edit:I hope this helps you :)

WeedLuigi

Smash Apprentice
Use ur nairs to cancel their projectiles, everything that u throw in the air will seperate them except the nair, dont grab the ICs unless they r seperated, wavedahingback and forth works on every person, as well as additions to luigis trickery like wavelanding etc. Dont try to many combos as while u aim for one the other will hit you. Stay grounded...well I think u r better off grounded most of the time like 75% gound 25% air. When the ICs r seperated(especially in the air) go for the kill as their power lies in their team work. Dont use LC too much as u have to go through both of them, most likely one will cancel ur LC and the other will hit u.

Randall00

Propitious Plumber
Slippi.gg
RJM#615
There's a wide variety of Ice Climber playstyles as well and it should be noted that Luigi can tear apart an inexperienced Climber player because of his ability to separate them. Many of those players rely heavily on their power as a duo for easy dual d-smash and f-smash KO's. An Ice Climbers player who has a heavier knowledge of desync and the different advantages that they offer operating as two separate units can give Luigi a hard time in a totally different way. It forces you to change the way that you approach them and all of a sudden, grabbing becomes a good things when the climbers are together because you need to break up their pattern with a quick down throw and then run for your life from Nana to keep up with the tech-chase on Popo. I understand what a lot of you are saying about Luigi having an advantage over them, but I've played against an Ice Climbers main for many years now and I win maybe 1 in 50 matches.

mrb1tch3s

Smash Ace
Take out Nana first...Luigi is VERY good at this since he and his attacks are fast...So separate them with some SH Dair then go find your way to kill nana...This is great because if they try to save nana with the upb...They are wide open to an attack and if too Low nana dies anyways...

C 3

Smash Ace
I would suggest that you make good use of the d-smash, knocks them upwards and it makes it easy to seperate them with aerials. The tornado also does a really good job of seperating them, and then just improv. from there :)

Top Bottom