• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Luigi - Aerial Uses

Smash G 0 D

Leave Luck to Heaven
BRoomer
Luigi's aerials are great. I see a use for every single one of them. Many characters will have one or two aerials that aren't so great... but LUIGI FTW ;)

He has 2 strong killing moves, the Fair (Chop) and Dair. These two will kill at maybe 70%+ depending on character. This is just generalized though. A true Luigi player can kill at lower percents :p (opponent loses second jump to Luigi wd off stage to chop/luigi skillz).

I find Luigi's Uair and Bair to be the most defensive. Bair, as most Luigis no, can be used twice in one shorthop, or just Bair to waveland to another SH Bair. Many combos come out of it. You can push the opponent off the stage with multiple Bairs or use it as an active sheild. Overall, Bair is t3h pwn4g3z0rZ. Uair has the great overall range of Luigi's aerials. When your opponent is above you, usually you can use Uair (timed correctly!) to cancel their move. This has some comboage in it, but personally I find it more defenseive. As we all know, Luigi can be extremely variable.

Luigi's last aerial is the Nair. You people have probably read many PimpUigi quotes about this move is Tobias' guide. A combo that I learned works well on floaties maybe around 70-80% or maybe lower/higher depending on who is the Dthrow to Nair. The Nair can be sweetspotted or not. You get the sweetspot rght when the kick comes out, this sends them much higher than usual. If they are hit with the kick after the sweetspot.. well then it isn't sweetspotted. Unlike some moves, the unsweetspot might be a better thing, namely juggling or setting up for a finisher. For the Dthrow to Nair on floaties, you need the sweetspot. First, you Dthrow. Then you turn around and SH/Full Hop to Nair. Very easy but effective.
The unsweetspotted Nair (USNair for now, I'm tired of typing that out) can be used into a finisher (Fair/Dair). It could even be used into one of the defensive aerials. If you can get your opponent to jump twice, USNair into a finisher or maybe a Bair. Both could work. You don't even need the USNair depending on the situation, maybe just Bairs/Chops. Luigi is just too situational.. he's too variable. I say he's broken.. :p jk

A tactic that can be used quite well is the Ledgehop to Aerial-Nair. This works only if your opponent tries to sheidgrab your first aerial, which is a lot of people considering they aren't used to vs Luigi. If the first aerial hits,, hurry I guess. If it misses and they sheildgrab, then they will have a USNair in their face. From there combo (maybe Uair?). I mostly would suggest using Chop to Nair considering the chances that it might actually hit instead of the Nair. It's probably going to end up being better than a Bair or Dair. Once again, it is situational. One other thing you could to is Ledgehop to Bair to Chop, then they have a chop in their face. Situational once again. I'm sure there are other combinations, but you get the picture. They basically all work to Nair cept for Uair, it has more of an Upward hitbox.. or maybe it does work..

SIMPLE YET ANNOYING COMBO: Uthrow them. If they DI behind you the fullhop Backair. It works and it is annoying. You can get a bit of damage and they won't know what to do against it the first time. Who would predict such a weak attack? BUT, from the Bair you could probably DI towards em and Uair with its great Upward hitbox.
If they DI in front of you, I imagine an Uair would work.
Note: if you Uthrow a fastfaller at semi-high % then just do Uthrow to Chop for Luigi's sake.. Bair still annoys them and could work just as well if you Bair them right at the ledge off the stage.

Dthrow to aerials. Great combo. Like I already said, Dthrow to Nair on floaties. Otherwise, some htings like Dthrow to turn-around Chop works cool. Or just Dthrow to Ftilt if their percent isn't high enough.

When in the air fighting someone, usually you can get out of a tight situation with Uair. It isn't the strongest but it is very fast and has a good hitbox. Godd enough for Luigi, hit em while they have startup lag.

Try and put pressure on them with things like Wall of Pain Chops and Double SHBairs.

Note: Luigi pwns

Note 2: Lots of this is situational, just gives you some ideas that you can mix up for diff situations :p

Note 3: Luigi is so cool

Note 4: LUIGI FTW

Pneuma

Smash Ace
Against floaties, you can uair->chop instead of just chop.
Against floaties, dthrow->bair->wavelanded ftilt->dair/chop is sexy and I suggest everyone use it.
Against fastfallers, uthrow->nair->uthrow->nair->uthrow->nair->dair. *cough*
Against fastfallers, uthrow->nair->utilt->utilt->utilt->chop whenever you get bored.

Spam sh dair->nair if you're playing defensively. Reverse uairs (think Eddie spike) are good for surprises in the air because of uairs stupid range. Also, bair is a viable kill move after about 120% on all chars (though edgeguarding them with it is much more useful).

Lastly, weak nair to up+b ping (against fastfallers) is reserved for only the pimpest luigis.

Smash G 0 D

Leave Luck to Heaven
BRoomer
Against floaties, you can uair->chop instead of just chop.
Against floaties, dthrow->bair->wavelanded ftilt->dair/chop is sexy and I suggest everyone use it.
Against fastfallers, uthrow->nair->uthrow->nair->uthrow->nair->dair. *cough*
Against fastfallers, uthrow->nair->utilt->utilt->utilt->chop whenever you get bored.

Spam sh dair->nair if you're playing defensively. Reverse uairs (think Eddie spike) are good for surprises in the air because of uairs stupid range. Also, bair is a viable kill move after about 120% on all chars (though edgeguarding them with it is much more useful).

Lastly, weak nair to up+b ping (against fastfallers) is reserved for only the pimpest luigis.

Yeah like I said, Luigi is variable depending on the situation. You just said some other variations vs other guys. The weak Nair to ping does work but.. since they are fastfaller they have to be pretty high % to kill :/

Spoon Man

Smash Apprentice
think he means for chain throwing, like fast fallers or something.

Also: doesn't the bair work like a sex kick? or am I just imagining things.

Also2: disjointed hitboxes and Ganon's priority make Luigi's aerials sad.

Also3: my friends play marth and ganondorf, I was stupid and recommended those two characters for them.

Smash G 0 D

Leave Luck to Heaven
BRoomer
think he means for chain throwing, like fast fallers or something.

Also: doesn't the bair work like a sex kick? or am I just imagining things.

Also2: disjointed hitboxes and Ganon's priority make Luigi's aerials sad.

Also3: my friends play marth and ganondorf, I was stupid and recommended those two characters for them.
Chain throwing is kind of off topic but.. I don't suggest chain throwing too much on fastfallers; they will figure out how to DI out of it eventually. Only works for a bit when they first play Luigi. Either way, for chainthrows you have to watch where they DI then WD/run to where they are, if you run the you have to JC it.

If you mean by Luigi's Bair having the duration of a sex kick, I dunno where you got that idea from. Maybe you were watching some vid in slow mo. Maybe you could end up with the same effect vs sheildgrabbing if you did SH double Bair, but you'll have to try that vs a human.

Haha yeah Ganon really messes Luigi up. When he's above you I find Uair's timed right to work quite well. Speed and range with Uair to get through his startup lag.

Yeah vs Marth just try staying grounded :p.

:colorful:

Gkryptonite

Smash Journeyman
And this is the reason I use him. Sure I wavedash a lot, but my style goes with being in the air as much times as I am wavedashing

Spoon Man

Smash Apprentice
Chain throwing is kind of off topic but.. I don't suggest chain throwing too much on fastfallers; they will figure out how to DI out of it eventually. Only works for a bit when they first play Luigi. Either way, for chainthrows you have to watch where they DI then WD/run to where they are, if you run the you have to JC it.

If you mean by Luigi's Bair having the duration of a sex kick, I dunno where you got that idea from. Maybe you were watching some vid in slow mo. Maybe you could end up with the same effect vs sheildgrabbing if you did SH double Bair, but you'll have to try that vs a human.

Haha yeah Ganon really messes Luigi up. When he's above you I find Uair's timed right to work quite well. Speed and range with Uair to get through his startup lag.

Yeah vs Marth just try staying grounded :p.

yeah I know I saw Ka do it to Wolf in a couple vids, but I'm not really a chain thrower anyways. Was just clarifying what Ownz_all was saying

and what I mean by the bair being sexkickish is that it can be sweetspotted, or late and still do damage

I'll have to try the Uair thing on Ganon, I don't really incorporate it into my game, although based on what you said in your original post it's an amazing defense (although my main problem is with his hidden gauntlets, since they're fast and throw me off balance what with his overall speed)

and I usually counterpick pokemon stadium when my friend plays marth (not even sure if PS is a good stage for vs marth, but either way it messes with his mojo for whatever reason)

:luigi:

Smash G 0 D

Leave Luck to Heaven
BRoomer
yeah I know I saw Ka do it to Wolf in a couple vids, but I'm not really a chain thrower anyways. Was just clarifying what Ownz_all was saying

and what I mean by the bair being sexkickish is that it can be sweetspotted, or late and still do damage

I'll have to try the Uair thing on Ganon, I don't really incorporate it into my game, although based on what you said in your original post it's an amazing defense (although my main problem is with his hidden gauntlets, since they're fast and throw me off balance what with his overall speed)

and I usually counterpick pokemon stadium when my friend plays marth (not even sure if PS is a good stage for vs marth, but either way it messes with his mojo for whatever reason)

:luigi:
It's kinda hard NOT to sweetspot the Bair. You'll kinda have to go into frames for that considering that it's pretty quick. The first hit is always the best with Bair.

Uair won't always work vs Ganon, try and keep him in the air and pressure him with your Uair's range. The gauntlet hurts. Especially when they Lcancel a Fair into a Jab. No more sheildgrabbing for Luigi. If you don't use Uair in the air vs Ganon you can't really do much. Dair and Chop and Bair work kinda well too. Nair can't give you much vs Ganon though.

Smash G 0 D

Leave Luck to Heaven
BRoomer
Nobody who plays competetively uses items. No pros or any proper players unless it is against their nooby noob friends for fun.

Catch items while you on the ground with A and catch them while you are in the air with Z. Happy?

Luigi_Ownz_Yall

Smash Rookie
Very happy,and I have competed and there were items,Such as the undead,and the home run bat.This was a underground thing so it wasnt all that but there was prizemoney.

Spoon Man

Smash Apprentice
generally in tournies all items are turned off (except for the stray bobomb/mr saturn/beam sword that peach pulls up, obviously) so don't worry too much about stuff being thrown at ya.

also I guess I was thinking about Falco's bair which is practically a sex kick, meh either way <3 luigi and his aerials.

and generally against Ganon, if I can get him into a Utilt "lock" I Short hop a nair to get him in the air whenever he manages to get enough DI. Also no traction + gauntlet makes shield grabbing sad :(

Smash G 0 D

Leave Luck to Heaven
BRoomer
generally in tournies all items are turned off (except for the stray bobomb/mr saturn/beam sword that peach pulls up, obviously) so don't worry too much about stuff being thrown at ya.

and generally against Ganon, if I can get him into a Utilt "lock" I Short hop a nair to get him in the air whenever he manages to get enough DI. Also no traction + gauntlet makes shield grabbing sad :(
I guess Nair can be used to get him into the air. You could also use Usmash, Uthrow, Dsmash, SHHFL Uair (a bit horizontal though), or Utilt. I prefer Dsmash/Uthrow. Works well with a bunch of WDs.

Ownz yall, get overyourself. Usually people with less than 10 posts and use items really are no where near middle class in terms of skill. I hereby classify you as a Luigi newb.

Spoon Man

Smash Apprentice
True, I guess Dsmash/Uthrow would be the safest choice, although I just find it somewhat easier to finish with a Nair from Utilt, but then again my friend doesn't DI very well, so I guess it'll be different whenever I actually go to a tourney (based on whenever I get a driver's license, but i'm lazy).

also ownz yall, if you checked under my avatar it says I live in CA, which is on the other side of the country -_- (if you were talking to me that is)

and offtopic but: weeee 42 posts! I understand everything now! (joke on Hitchhikers guys to the galaxy)

Smash G 0 D

Leave Luck to Heaven
BRoomer
True, I guess Dsmash/Uthrow would be the safest choice, although I just find it somewhat easier to finish with a Nair from Utilt, but then again my friend doesn't DI very well, so I guess it'll be different whenever I actually go to a tourney (based on whenever I get a driver's license, but i'm lazy).

also ownz yall, if you checked under my avatar it says I live in CA, which is on the other side of the country -_- (if you were talking to me that is)

and offtopic but: weeee 42 posts! I understand everything now! (joke on Hitchhikers guys to the galaxy)
From an Utilt you really can WD/Run to a SH Nair I guess. It won't be efficient though, I'm sure the Ganon could get out of it easy peasy pie. Things like my original combo Dthrow to Nair are pretty easy to DI away. But then again, if you know how to do it then you will die. Only do it at high percents, maybe 100%+ for a kill. Luigi can easily run to under the opponent into a Full Hop Nair. Kinda hard to explain. Here is step by step what to do:

Grab

Dthrow

if they DI away: run to them and fullhop/sh Nair (depending on how high they go)

make sure you press A for the Nair when you are on them so that it is sweetspotted

Note: this is best for a kill vs floaties, not great comboage

Here's another kill vs not so floaties:

Grab

Dthrow

(they will probably DI behind you) tap the direction they DI (run if you have to)

then SH Chop

For more comboage:

Grab

Dthrow

(they will probably DI behind you) tap the direction the DI (run if you have to)

then Uair

^better comboage

LUIGI FTW

Spoon Man

Smash Apprentice
for the chop combo, couldn't you mix it up and use Dair instead? mindgames and whatnot.

also can Uair combo into another Uair (similar to mario, like in Eggz Uaired blind) if it connects in the right spot?

Smash G 0 D

Leave Luck to Heaven
BRoomer
for the chop combo, couldn't you mix it up and use Dair instead? mindgames and whatnot.

also can Uair combo into another Uair (similar to mario, like in Eggz Uaired blind) if it connects in the right spot?
Yes of course. You can Uair into another Uair, don't use too many of them in a row though.

For the Chop combo, the Dair COULD work. The thing is that Chop has greater horizontal range so it depends on their DI.

Spoon Man

Smash Apprentice
Yes of course. You can Uair into another Uair, don't use too many of them in a row though.

For the Chop combo, the Dair COULD work. The thing is that Chop has greater horizontal range so it depends on their DI.
I'd probably stick with just 2-3 Uairs in a given combo.

and when exactly would you want to use Dair over chop (provided we're fighting the heavier side of the spectrum), like against what kind of DI I suppose.

Smash G 0 D

Leave Luck to Heaven
BRoomer
I'd probably stick with just 2-3 Uairs in a given combo.

and when exactly would you want to use Dair over chop (provided we're fighting the heavier side of the spectrum), like against what kind of DI I suppose.
If they don't DI too far away from you and there % feels right then you can Dair. Just be 100% sure it'll hit. If they DI a bit farther (horizontally), then use the chop. It really is sorta based on preference/situation.

Spoon Man

Smash Apprentice
alright so it's just one of those "I can feel it in my bones" moments.

Thanks for the help, I'll have to see how all this works out when I get back to the dorm :)

Pneuma

Smash Ace
I nearly always utilt after a weak nair (or hard nair on fast fallers) at low percentages. It has enough priority and covers your head just fine. End with Usmash or Chop or Dair, really elementary stuff.

Also, Luigi is not a shieldgrabber. He is a wavegrabber. :O

Smash G 0 D

Leave Luck to Heaven
BRoomer
I nearly always utilt after a weak nair (or hard nair on fast fallers) at low percentages. It has enough priority and covers your head just fine. End with Usmash or Chop or Dair, really elementary stuff.

Also, Luigi is not a shieldgrabber. He is a wavegrabber. :O
I do this every time at low percentages. Idk about fastfallers, Usually I don't strong Nair them. Awkward combos. At higher percents, an Lcancelled weak Nair is best followed by an aerial of some sort. Maybe something else dependant on situation.

Michel: Personally I like Bair/Uair for combos. Nair is a given though. Fair for kills. Sends people usually horizontal, but fastfaller makes them go a bit downward as well. So i guess you could say it sends em diagonal :p

Micheloxx

Smash Ace
well ill give it a try, and thanks again man. And i know u supose my name is michel but isnt it.. My name is Michelangelo from italy, just call me michelo

Top Bottom