• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Lucina: The Approach

Duet

Smash Cadet
NNID
requiemlacrimosa
From the creator of the incredibly popular and well received topic "Getting the kill. Any suggestions?" comes a new topic of discussion. I have come along way with Lucina, and my friends list is filled with a group of high level players, some of which could be considered in the top percentage in the country. With that being said, a new problem has arisen that I would like to get everyone's feedback on. Approaching with Lucina. Simple approaches may work on people in FG, but higher level players are more than likely just going to shield grab you or spot dodge your approach if you aren't mixing it up and keeping them guessing.

I want to know how you guys approach other players. Lucina is a character that can use her range to string together some very very good punishes, but it is all about getting that first hit in and capitalizing on that mistake. What do you do to mix it up and keep them guessing. How do you force them to make a mistake to take advantage of what Lucina is good at? What type of mind games do you play to get your foot in the door?

Lets get the conversation started!

EternalFlame

Smash Ace
NNID
Eterna1Flame
3DS FC
1993-8719-0815
Hmmm, there are a couple of choices that I go with myself; some of them inspired from the other Marths/Lucinas I've fought against up until this point. I usually play to interrupt my opponent before they get to move, so I anticipate their action then throw out an attack of where most likely they will try to do it from:

1) FAir/FAir Assault:
The rising FAir, whether by SH or FH, is a great tool that allows proper spacing and has a good reach for it's hitbox. FHs protect you much better than SH, but SHs give you a better chance for followups. The FAir assault specifically, you can DB, SB, Counter, or DS after a rising SH FAir, which helps with mixups and such.

2) DB/Air DB setup:
DB is one of your main setup tools, and from either the ground or the air, you can convert those into a long string of attacks. I'm quite sure I explained how those work already in the past, but the nutshell version of this is either run up and DB1 > Up B (>Up B again) > followup, or rising SH DB1 > followup. Those who want a more detailed explaination should go check it out on my guide under setups and combos, cus I don't want to wall of text as much as I can help it xD

3) Dodge cancel:
This was a tech from another player (also developed some more by @X-ian), but this actually has a lot of application. If you time it just right with your SH dodge, you can enter nearly all Aerial attacks and any of your B moves before landing. This allows getting past some projectile or commitment attacks, positioning, and going into a setup for more damage).

4) NAir:
NAir on its own is a great spacing tool and is quite good at protecting you while you approach. Keeping them at a sword's length is the important thing, but note the importance of the two hit properties. The first hit will simply hold your opponent in place, and the second will knock them away. If you can do well with your timing, the first hit NAir will allow for pretty good followups - particularly DTilt and grab. It also has little landing lag, so as long as you mind the spacing and timing, you'll be just fine to use this to your advantage.

5) Running/walking shield:
Not all approaches begin with attacking though; cancelling your movement into a shield is another great option for provoking your opponent to do something and allowing for quick retaliation. In case anyone still doesn't know how to perform this, simply hold the direction you are moving, then press and hold the shield button. Another great thing about this is you can quickly change this defensive stance to offensive via jump cancelling the shield or putting the shield down and going into something else.

6) DTilt:
This is a poking tool with a lot of versatility, and in a way can be one of your most safest approaches. There will be moments where you need to decide on how to attack when both sides come to a stop infront of each other, and using this move provokes movement from your opponent, then you can decide on how to react based on what they move. You can also try walking towards your opponent and performing it, or use the running/walking shield to pull yourself to a stop then perform the tilt.

That about covers all of my approaches. Hopefully these help you guys out xD

Last edited:

AufWiedersehen

Smash Cadet
NNID
AufWiedersehen
I myself like to use her Shield Breaker with a short hop. It can keep my opponent away with its range, it can land a good (possibly fatal) hit if they don't shield or dodge, and I may actually be able to break their shield. If they're around 80%-100% damage and I manage to break their shield, a U-smash is usually all it takes to get the KO.

EternalFlame

Smash Ace
NNID
Eterna1Flame
3DS FC
1993-8719-0815
I myself like to use her Shield Breaker with a short hop. It can keep my opponent away with its range, it can land a good (possibly fatal) hit if they don't shield or dodge, and I may actually be able to break their shield. If they're around 80%-100% damage and I manage to break their shield, a U-smash is usually all it takes to get the KO.
aah yes, SB is a great too, for stuff like that just be careful not to use it too often due to that commitment lag afterwards. Some opponents are really good at reading stuff like it, and most likely will dodge/shield and retaliate. SB needs to break their shields or catch them on hesitation, since otherwise your opponents can easily run up to you after just blocking the hit and try to punish you. Mixing up your approaches is always the best strategy for keeping your opponent at bay, though that's just something you do in any fighting game xD

AufWiedersehen

Smash Cadet
NNID
AufWiedersehen
aah yes, SB is a great too, for stuff like that just be careful not to use it too often due to that commitment lag afterwards. Some opponents are really good at reading stuff like it, and most likely will dodge/shield and retaliate. SB needs to break their shields or catch them on hesitation, since otherwise your opponents can easily run up to you after just blocking the hit and try to punish you. Mixing up your approaches is always the best strategy for keeping your opponent at bay, though that's just something you do in any fighting game xD
Oh of course, you should absolutely mix shield breaker in with the other approaches you described above. Also, better watch out for opponents that can power shield or spot dodge the shield breaker since they will punish you. There's definitely lag after a shield breaker, but sometimes you can counter the opponents attack right after your missed shield breaker, although it is quite risky.

Locuan

D&D Obsessed
BRoomer
I believe @ EternalFlame EternalFlame covered most of the options I utilize! I would like to add that you can also bait your opponent into believing you are walking/running away from him and do a b-reversal with your Shield Breaker to catch them off guard and approach. Do not rely on this too much since as Eternal mentioned earlier they can punish you. You can perform the b-reversal either on the ground or from a short-hop both work well :)

Top Bottom