• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Lucina SSB4 Event Match Speculation Thread

Do the Event Matches I proposed sound good?

• Yes.

Votes: 10 45.5%
  • Very good.

Votes: 7 31.8%
  • No.

Votes: 1 4.5%
  • They're horrible.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Should be something more.

Votes: 3 13.6%
  • Indifference.

Votes: 1 4.5%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Oracle_Summon

Smash Hero
Hey Lucina supporters, I am glad to see your character made it in.

Now, on to business. What event matches do you guys want/expect Lucina to participate in when it comes to SSB4?

Here are mine (there are spoilers)

Title: "Battle of the Falchion"

Lucina fights against Marth to find out who is the true owner of the Falchion.

Title: "Defender of the Future"

Lucina fights both Male and Female Robins at the same time in a weakened state (at 70% each time she revives and at the start of the match).

Title: "Protector of the Emblem"

Palutena plays the role of Tiki in the "The Future Past" scenario. Lucina must protect a harmless Palutena from Robin.

Robertman2

IT'S HAPPENING!!!!
NNID
Robertman2
3DS FC
0259-1071-1157
Date Night:
Lucina and Male Robin fight two other characters (Mario and Peach?) on the Town and City stage.

Oracle_Summon

Smash Hero
Hey guys, I was wondering something. Judging from the videos we have gathered around Lucina, what type of characters seems to give Lucina the most trouble? What character should Lucina mains look out for most?

RPGatWill

Smash Ace
3DS FC
1118-0962-1816
Well, if Lucina is going to function much like Marth (Which I feel may be a bit still up in the air until we ourselves can play her and see, rather than shots from a trailer) likely whatever characters gave Marth trouble. Personally when I play 'speed' characters I have a bit of trouble facing 'power' characters, but that might just be me. So I'd watch out for Bowser and Little Mac.

L9999

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3780-9480-2428
In the Protector of the Emblem instead of Robin, why not somebody like Bowser or Ganon? I know Robin has the evil twin from the future but It makes sense using full time villains.

fe_wander

Smash Cadet
I'm guessing any character that can keep her at a distance or has a good power game and doesn't get overwhelmed by her speed.
Hard to tell right now, though, since we don't know much about how she plays.

I also know very little about matchups, so I'm just guessing.:)

Robert of Normandy

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
NNID
shinpichu
3DS FC
2251-3915-5139
Switch FC
SW-4957-7233-2307
Had to go digging for this one:
[collapse="Event"]Event title: Marth vs. Marth
Description: There's only room for one Hero King around here. Defeat the imposter!
Player characters: Marth
Allied CPUs: N/A
Foe CPUs: "Masked Marth"
Rules: Stock match with items on. Marth and Masked Marth both have 2 stocks.[/collapse]
You don't play as her, but you do fight her. Could be a neat unlocking criteria.

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
Projectile-based characters? Like Mega Man?

Jocario Zero

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-2327-1796-5400
Im just going to quote myself:

Lucina beats the crab out of Peach and shows her how a real princess should be!

Even if its not a Event....you can bet your *** im going to beat up Peach wit Lucina.....
soon my Mushroom Kingdom-Princess...soon.....nice Event ideas btw xD

fe_wander

Smash Cadet
This is what I was thinking-- unless they gave her some unique moves (like a Javelin, maybe, to take advantage of Great Lord Lance access?) I can't see her having much of a ranged game. She'll have to be up close to deal any damage.

Oracle_Summon

Smash Hero
I'm guessing any character that can keep her at a distance or has a good power game and doesn't get overwhelmed by her speed.
Hard to tell right now, though, since we don't know much about how she plays.

I also know very little about matchups, so I'm just guessing.:)
Thanks for your input and welcome to Smash Boards!

Ryuutakeshi

Smash Lord
The parent one is just as bad :(

I imagine that characters that can go faster than her will be tough, but characters will armor and power (like Mac and Bowser) may also really hurt.

NiTEZ

Smash Apprentice
It's too early to really speculate anything imo. We still don't know where Marth/Lucina excel in places that the other doesn't.
Aside from moveset and sword differences, we really dk much about Lucina.

Saikyoshi

Smash Master
NNID
KarmaPilcrow
3DS FC
0344-9771-0514
Lucina is inferior to Marth due to being completely identical save for lower maximum damage, so she'll lose the matchup against him.

Otherwise, her matchups will be identical to Marth's.

Sakurai said identical. No adjusted speed, no altered playstyle... Just the weakened hitbox. She's just Handicap Marth.

Last edited:

Reginleif

Smash Ace
Lucina is inferior to Marth due to being completely identical save for lower maximum damage, so she'll lose the matchup against him.

Sakurai said identical. No adjusted speed, no altered playstyle... Just the weakened hitbox. She's just Handicap Marth.
And yet, her slash is completely different along with many other things still not confirmed.

Last edited:

Oracle_Summon

Smash Hero

Try to be civil, don't try to start something in these threads. Take your dislike to the Clone debate forums.

She's Marth without the "Tip of the Blade" mechanic, nothing else was said.

You cannot claim something without having the full information.

Last edited:

Saikyoshi

Smash Master
NNID
KarmaPilcrow
3DS FC
0344-9771-0514
And yet, her slash is completely different along with many other things still not confirmed.
Where is her slash different?

Try to be civil, don't try to start something in these threads. Take your dislike to the Clone debate forums.

She's Marth without the "Tip of the Blade" mechanic, nothing else was said.

You cannot claim something without having the full information.
I thought the wording in the PotD was pretty clear... I guess it's my mistake.

Last edited:

Rich Homie Quan

Smash Ace
Fast characters with projectiles that lead to set ups. Breaking through that sword range is probably gonna be key for opponent.

TeaTwoTime

Smash Ace
Lucina vs Marth depends entirely on whether or not there are other changes to her kit besides the tipper. If there's *nothing* else that's been changed, I'd expect the match-up in general to go to Marth.

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
I get the feeling, real talk that she's going to have trouble against smart Robins, since they'll likely be able to manage their tomes and keep their Levin sword ready, which seems to have a decent amount of reach even if the enemy gets in close.

Since she'll likely require more straightforward rushing in her playstyle, as opposed to Marth needing to keep his distance with a tipper, she might have trouble approaching Robins. (Arcfire might give her trouble, especially.)

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
Seems like you have played the game already. How does Robin play, can you tell me? And is Ridley playable?

Seriously, we should wait for the game to be released before claiming such things as "Lucina is inferior to Marth" or vice-versa. Ok thx

Sours

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
1907-8138-7678
Seems like you have played the game already. How does Robin play, can you tell me? And is Ridley playable?

Seriously, we should wait for the game to be released before claiming such things as "Lucina is inferior to Marth" or vice-versa. Ok thx
Rekt.

Saikyoshi

Smash Master
NNID
KarmaPilcrow
3DS FC
0344-9771-0514

It was how you worded it. Inferior is a bashing term, saying weaker Marth would have worked better.
Well, while I don't mind the character, I am kind of concerned.

If Sakurai did mean identical when he said "identical" (it's that one word that's got me so worried), then that means there would be no reason to choose Lucina over the same-but-more-powerful Marth.

I'm not complaining about Lucina. I'm just worried that she's going to be completely worthless under Marth's shadow. If she was distinct in her playstyle and just a lower tier than Marth, that would be different, but identical-except-less-power would be very, very bad - not even people comfortable with the Fire Emblem playstyle would have any reason to pick her in that case. They'd just go for Marth.

Last edited:

TeaTwoTime

Smash Ace
Except she's not "identical but less powerful". She's got more reliable and consistent damage with a lower skill ceiling, meaning that unless you are really adept at hitting tippers, Lucina is probably going to be the stronger choice for you - put simply, you trade lower *potential* power for higher *guaranteed* power. Obviously a Marth that is played perfectly will have the upper hand, because his potential reward is higher, but the fact is that you can't rely on playing a character perfectly - especially not against good opponents.

Saikyoshi

Smash Master
NNID
KarmaPilcrow
3DS FC
0344-9771-0514
Except she's not "identical but less powerful". She's got more reliable and consistent damage with a lower skill ceiling, meaning that unless you are really adept at hitting tippers, Lucina is probably going to be the stronger choice for you - put simply, you trade lower *potential* power for higher *guaranteed* power. Obviously a Marth that is played perfectly will have the upper hand, because his potential reward is higher, but the fact is that you can't rely on playing a character perfectly - especially not against good opponents.
With the removal of DI, though, tippers are a lot more reliable now than they were in past games. And they were already pretty reliable in sync with his combos.

Last edited:

Sours

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
1907-8138-7678
Had to go digging for this one:
[collapse="Event"]Event title: Marth vs. Marth
Description: There's only room for one Hero King around here. Defeat the imposter!
Player characters: Marth
Allied CPUs: N/A
Foe CPUs: "Masked Marth"
Rules: Stock match with items on. Marth and Masked Marth both have 2 stocks.[/collapse]
You don't play as her, but you do fight her. Could be a neat unlocking criteria.
Oh my god yes.

Ryuutakeshi

Smash Lord
We obviously need to recreate "Twin Falchions" on the 3DS.

I also think that an event with Lucina tag teaming with Robin against Ganondorf or Bowser with the win condition of summoning Chrom would be fun. Of course, that's more of a Robin event.

RPGatWill

Smash Ace
3DS FC
1118-0962-1816
I forgot about that. Yeah characters with ranged moves might be troublesome, like the mii guncannon or mega man or Wii Fit Trainer. But it seems like character with huge range are pretty few and far between, and there's likely a counter to them.

AsinineProfessor

Smash Rookie
Like Reila said and RPGTatWill reiterated, I think that Lucina will have a trouble with projectile based characters. Do you think her NAir (or the move similar to Marth's shown in the trailer) will be able to destroy some projectiles? Also, out of curiosity, is her Falchion shorter than Marth's?

Oracle_Summon

Smash Hero
Like Reila said and RPGTatWill reiterated, I think that Lucina will have a trouble with projectile based characters. Do you think her NAir (or the move similar to Marth's shown in the trailer) will be able to destroy some projectiles? Also, out of curiosity, is her Falchion shorter than Marth's?
I am not sure how long her Falchion is compared to Marth's, but I know she lacks the "Tip of the Blade" mechanic in her moveset.

P.S. Welcome to Smash Boards!

Last edited:

AsinineProfessor

Smash Rookie
I am not sure how long here Falchion is compared to Marth's, but I know she lacks the "Tip of the Blade" mechanic in her moveset.

P.S. Welcome to Smash Boards!
Thank you!

And I was wondering since her power is constant throughout the blade, a tradeoff for lacking the sweetspot would be to have a slightly shorter range. Seems fair enough haha

CommanderRin

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Susazu-And-Rin
When I look at it, Lucina is trading power (Tip of the Sword) for flexibility, now when a Fox or Captain Falcon is all in your face, you don't need Robin spamming tomes to get the spacing you need, you can rush in just as they rush into you.

I'm interested in Lucina for sure, I'd say her biggest problem will be Zero Suit Samus.

Mobility, Range, Stun and Recovery.

Oracle_Summon

Smash Hero
When I look at it, Lucina is trading power (Tip of the Sword) for flexibility, now when a Fox or Captain Falcon is all in your face, you don't need Robin spamming tomes to get the spacing you need, you can rush in just as they rush into you.

I'm interested in Lucina for sure, I'd say her biggest problem will be Zero Suit Samus.

Mobility, Range, Stun and Recovery.

So Lucina's hardest battles would be those concerning characters who specialize in Ranged and Stunning attacks right?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom