• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A Lucina Question and Answer Thread

Kulty

Smash Ace
Hi guys,

I just picked up:4lucina:, because I was really interested in the character for quite some time. While I may not use her in tournaments for now, I wanted to start learning her slowly and bit by bit to go with my:4mario:in case if I don't feel like playing him later on. As a Mario and Lucina loyalist, I have a few questions:
1) What is my main goal in neutral as a Lucina player?
2) What moves should I use often in neutral?
3) What is a good solo practice routine for Lucina?
4) Best players to study Lucina?

Thank you so much guys! I'm happy to be a Lucina player. She's such a blast to play!:4lucina:for life! xDD
EDIT: It's not a huge deal, but I don't like comparing Marth to Lucina despite them being very similar to one another. I want to see Lucina as ''Lucina'' and not her as a less rewarding ver. of Marth with a lack of tippers.

Last edited:

Locuan

D&D Obsessed
BRoomer
Kulty Kulty

Perfect Pivoting is a very important tool used to not only create spacing but it can also bait your opponent to make certain inputs you can react to.

Jabs are a stellar tool for Lucina. These can either combo into other moves, create good string setups, or can be used to condition your opponent which sets up for a punish.

I'd say in terms of practice you should focus on these two things at first since they form, in my view, a very strong core for Lucina game-play.

D-tilt is also good and I personally use it a lot in neutral.

As far as Lucina players, I know Nairo, Mr. R, and ZeRo have all used her recently in tournaments in one way or another. Additionally, watching Marth players can also help. Be aware that certain punish options could be different for Lucina depending on the scenario. MK Leo, Mr. E, etc.

Kulty

Smash Ace
Kulty Kulty

Perfect Pivoting is a very important tool used to not only create spacing but it can also bait your opponent to make certain inputs you can react to.

Jabs are a stellar tool for Lucina. These can either combo into other moves, create good string setups, or can be used to condition your opponent which sets up for a punish.

I'd say in terms of practice you should focus on these two things at first since they form, in my view, a very strong core for Lucina game-play.

D-tilt is also good and I personally use it a lot in neutral.

As far as Lucina players, I know Nairo, Mr. R, and ZeRo have all used her recently in tournaments in one way or another. Additionally, watching Marth players can also help. Be aware that certain punish options could be different for Lucina depending on the scenario. MK Leo, Mr. E, etc.
Oh okay cool. I also found a good video on how to practice Marth for Smash 4 for newer players. Can the same be applied to new Lucina players? (Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2L5QCWb8ZIM).

From what I understand from her character, I feel Lucina's main objective in neutral is to condition the opponent to shield and force defensive reactions. Once the opponent's shield is low, I feel this is where she can play more slightly more offensively towards her foe and force the opponent to react quickly, because her tools are great to create shield pressure. Am I right about this?

SyStemkraSh

Smash Rookie
I've picked up Lucina recently (admittedly after watching ZeRo play her) and have been getting more shield breaks than I expected. What is the best way to punish someone at a low percent when you've broken their shield? Thanks!

FamilyTeam

This strength serves more than me alone.
NNID
MontanaCity
Below 30% (which is when fully charged shield breaker can't kill at the ledge most of the time), you can do a Falling Up Air combo.
You have some choices. Falling Up Air>Neutral Air (25%), Falling Up Air>FTilt (23%), Falling Up Air>Forward Air (23%), Falling Up Air>Up Air (23%), and on some characters closer to 30%, Reverse Falling Up Air>Back Air>Forward Air (35%) and Falling Up Air>Forward Air>Forward Air (33%).
These are all hard to do at first, though, so I'd recommend practicing them on training mode a lot.
Otherwise, if they're at over 30%ish percent, drag them to the ledge and just do fully charged Shield Breaker on them. Extremely high chance you might kill them. Even if you don't, they take 23%.

Vipermoon

King Marth's most trusted advisor.
Switch FC
SW-3371-7457-0227
Hard to do? Anyway, falling Uair to Dair spike is good to. You could probably get another Fair out after falling Uair to Bair to Fair in which case they at risk of losing the stock.

ぱみゅ

❤ ~
NNID
kyo.pamyu.pamyu
3DS FC
4785-5700-5699
Switch FC
SW 3264 5694 6605
Isn't it a bit more optimal to add a Dancing Blade 1 at the beginning sometimes?
:196:

Vipermoon

Switch FC
SW-3371-7457-0227
At low percent it's extremely easy to jump out of a DB1.

FamilyTeam

This strength serves more than me alone.
NNID
MontanaCity
DB1 only combos into other things on some characters that don't have fast moves to intercept the followup.
Also, Falling Up Air to Dair spike? I dont know if that's really true, and even if it is, if the opponent techs the spike, you'll have to deal with landing lag and they might punish you.

Vipermoon

Switch FC
SW-3371-7457-0227
That's for at the ledge of course.

Top Bottom