• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Lucina-only True Killer Combo (with Crescent Slash)

JuanP_91

Smash Cadet
So yeah, I found a true combo with a really high chance to kill that neither Marth nor Roy can perfom.
(Marth can but its way too hard to be viable)

Anyways, it goes:
Falling UAir > Full Hop/Double Jump > FAir/Bair > Crescent Slash

FAir is for high percents, BAir is for low ones, and both attacks must be poorly spaced in order for CS to connect.
The jump height is also character and percent dependent.

Its hard to put it in simple words, so I know you may not understand at all, but I think its not something to be dismissed.

You can try it on a 65% Mario using the FAir variant after two quick jumps.

If further explanation is needed, just tell me!

I'd also like to hear your opinions on the combo's viability, setups, or anything in general about it.

Thanks for reading!

LochTessMonster

Smash Cadet
Having a video of you performing this would help immensely, even if it's a simple camcorder pointed at your screen, spacing is something that's difficult to explain in words.

Locuan

D&D Obsessed
BRoomer
I can't test this now but I can say this probably isn't a true combo. Additionally, the F-air > Crescent Slash or B-air > Crescent Slash can potentially combo depending on the angle the opponent is sent / DI's the attack.

For more consistency, Crescent Slash is best used against an opponent who is recovering high and has used his/her second jump, out of the specific angle after F-air or B-air, or from a throw.

ReRaze

'Nee Sama
NNID
ReRaze
3DS FC
0705-3321-7681
You can actually do the same thing with dolphin slash and it true combos (not the DB part) (tested in training mode on multiple characters).
It works on pretty much the entire cast regardless whether they are floaty or fast fallers and can kill starting as early as 40% depending on weight and rage. I'm not sure how much DI affects this.
As you can see this kills pretty damn early even with 0 rage.

(You have to like...idk wavebounce the Dolphin Slash or something (I just flick back quickly after using it) to make it back to the stage though since it doesnt have as much mobility in free fall as crescent slash as you can see in the vid i move backwards while using dolphin slash)

Last edited:

JuanP_91

Smash Cadet
I can't test this now but I can say this probably isn't a true combo. Additionally, the F-air > Crescent Slash or B-air > Crescent Slash can potentially combo depending on the angle the opponent is sent / DI's the attack.

For more consistency, Crescent Slash is best used against an opponent who is recovering high and has used his/her second jump, out of the specific angle after F-air or B-air, or from a throw.
I've true comboed it already a bunch of times actually. Fair and Bair both have a 45 degree launch angle I think, so Crescent Slash is a great follow up after landing either imo.

I'd like to show footage of this, but have no way of doing it as of now.

Locuan

D&D Obsessed
BRoomer
I'd like to show footage of this, but have no way of doing it as of now.
Recall that training mode combo meter, something that most use to state "true combo", is not accurate. It has it's faults and can mark things as true combos when they aren't. For example, you can mark d-tilt > up-smash as a true combo with Marth in training mode when it clearly isn't.

On another note, I can definitely say that F-air or B-air into Crescent Slash are dependent on the angle your opponent is sent in order to true combo. While customs were on in my region it would be my go to move in both Lucina and Marth. I would pay close attention to the angle my opponent was sent from due to my F-air or B-air hit and the modification that could have occurred due to their DI. Only then would I use Crescent Slash, if not I would definitely miss or hit with the sour-spot.

JuanP_91

Smash Cadet
Recall that training mode combo meter, something that most use to state "true combo", is not accurate. It has it's faults and can mark things as true combos when they aren't.
I didn't really know about that, but I did do some math and believe the hitstun is enough for Fair/Bair to connect.
However, I did consider their DI preventing a true combo, thus giving the necessity of poor spacing.

Could you please tell me why don't you think Uair> Fair comboes?

Last edited:

Locuan

D&D Obsessed
BRoomer
I didn't really know about that, but I did do some math and believe the hitstun is enough for Fair/Bair to connect.
However, I did consider their DI preventing a true combo, thus giving the necessity of poor spacing.

Could you please tell me why don't you think Uair> Fair comboes?
Oh I never intended to state that falling Uair into another move wouldn't combo. We have a thread on the Marth boards dedicated to combos or potential combos. Im well aware of Falling Uairs combo setups and follow ups. I was specifically stating the Fair/Bair into Crescent Slash. If my wording was incorrect I apologize.

Last edited:

JuanP_91

Smash Cadet
Oh I never intended to state that falling Uair into another move wouldn't combo. We have a thread on the Marth boards dedicated to combos or potential combos. Im well aware of Falling Uairs combo setups and follow ups. I was specifically stating the Fair/Bair into Crescent Slash. If my wording was incorrect I apologize.
Oh, no problem! You are right in that falling Uair is a mere setup to gain height for Crescent Slash to be safer.

About Fair>CS, I agree with you.
The best I can come up with is trying to position yourself according to DI. (For example, FF when opponent DIs down)
Thats why Marth can't do this to its full potential.

You can actually do the same thing with dolphin slash and it true combos (not the DB part) (tested in training mode on multiple characters).
It works on pretty much the entire cast regardless whether they are floaty or fast fallers and can kill starting as early as 40% depending on weight and rage. I'm not sure how much DI affects this.
As you can see this kills pretty damn early even with 0 rage.

(You have to like...idk wavebounce the Dolphin Slash or something (I just flick back quickly after using it) to make it back to the stage though since it doesnt have as much mobility in free fall as crescent slash as you can see in the vid i move backwards while using dolphin slash)
Honestly, it seems pretty unsafe and harder to execute. I'd see it as an alternative if for some reason customs were universally banned though.

Edit: Also, it seems too percent and Rage specific, giving some limitations to its uses.

Last edited:

ReRaze

'Nee Sama
NNID
ReRaze
3DS FC
0705-3321-7681
Oh, no problem! You are right in that falling Uair is a mere setup to gain height for Crescent Slash to be safer.

About Fair>CS, I agree with you.
The best I can come up with is trying to position yourself according to DI. (For example, FF when opponent DIs down)
Thats why Marth can't do this to its full potential.

Honestly, it seems pretty unsafe and harder to execute. I'd see it as an alternative if for some reason customs were universally banned though.
Hmmm it really wasnt too hard and its pretty safe

Rewrite

Smash Apprentice
This seems rage and DI based
It is incredibly so. This isn't a true combo and can easily be escaped by your opponent just holding away from you. it also has a relatively

Also, it works perfectly fine with Marth. I made a post about it in Marth's combo thread a few month's ago. Here's the info on it: http://smashboards.com/threads/ive-made-a-list-of-marths-true-combos.387633/#post-18902867

It's execution is actually quite simple as Marth (the tippers are free without DI), but again: rage makes the window of opportunity shorter and good DI makes the fair to Crescent Slash impossible as both Marth and Lucina.

Marth and Lucina also have better punishing options, especially now that falling up-air to tipper now has more follow-ups. (ex. Marth's falling up-air to tipper f-smash kills now.) Lucina also has that combo and while it won't usually reach kill percentage it will do a little less than this.

Falling up-air to up-air or up-tilt also does quite a bit of damage and leaves you with room for follow-up.

It's still a really cool combo that Marth and Lucina can do, but it's usefulness is sort of moot compared to their other options. At best you'll get the falling up-air to fair/bair, but crescent slash will always whiff if they DI. It's more of a swag combo if anything.

H-O-G

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Samurai-Edge9
3DS FC
5000-3290-0193
I jus attempted the combo with marth it works perfectly fine with him as well

I am also able to perform a ken string out of dat combo. Instead of going for dolphin slash go for dair

I am able 2 pull it off consistently with marth at 34~39%

Last edited:

JuanP_91

Smash Cadet
It is incredibly so. This isn't a true combo and can easily be escaped by your opponent just holding away from you. it also has a relatively

Also, it works perfectly fine with Marth. I made a post about it in Marth's combo thread a few month's ago. Here's the info on it: http://smashboards.com/threads/ive-made-a-list-of-marths-true-combos.387633/#post-18902867

It's execution is actually quite simple as Marth (the tippers are free without DI), but again: rage makes the window of opportunity shorter and good DI makes the fair to Crescent Slash impossible as both Marth and Lucina.

Marth and Lucina also have better punishing options, especially now that falling up-air to tipper now has more follow-ups. (ex. Marth's falling up-air to tipper f-smash kills now.) Lucina also has that combo and while it won't usually reach kill percentage it will do a little less than this.

Falling up-air to up-air or up-tilt also does quite a bit of damage and leaves you with room for follow-up.

It's still a really cool combo that Marth and Lucina can do, but it's usefulness is sort of moot compared to their other options. At best you'll get the falling up-air to fair/bair, but crescent slash will always whiff if they DI. It's more of a swag combo if anything.
So, iirc, you say the combo is deemed useless only because of DI, but as I stated before and have tested, Lucina can still reach the opponent with Crescent Slash even after proper DI only if she spaces badly, like, around the base of her sword.

On another note, thats the main reason Marth can't pull this of reliably. It does connect, but since Marth can only use the tipper for it, his is even more susceptible to DI. Also, it is true Marth has better options himself.

EDIT: Marth can actually sourspot Uair>sour Bair>CS and get similar results.

About rage, it really isn't too influential, you just have to make adjusments on your execution range accordingly.

Imho, if this can true combo without DI, it can be worked with. I'm really not expecting this to become a staple for neither Marth nor Lucina, just for it to be an extra option that, when done in the right conditions, can be devastating and as you said, pretty swaggy xD.

Sorry for the absurdly late reply btw...

Last edited:
Top Bottom