• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Lucina Match-ups

mega5657

Smash Rookie
Any tips for when going against a Shiek player that does nothing but spam needles? I couldn't figure out how to approach.

Rizuna

Smash Rookie
I have a hard time against ROB and Yoshi. They're both very difficult to approach and playing defensive is even harder because of their projectiles.

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
I have yet to fight Rob. Yoshi match hasnt changed since Melee really. Maintain spacing and block eggs alot.

Fastblade5035

Smash Master
NNID
gnic2322
3DS FC
0645-6032-2207
Oh boy oh boy.

I need desperate help against Rosalina and Shulk. Usually I'm good against them, but then I faced ArcticWolf and he absolutely trashed me.

Any advice? I thought I knew how to handle them.. Apparently not.

Hellrazor

Wants to Watch the World Burn
NNID
jkjk237
3DS FC
4596-9639-1071
Oh boy oh boy.

I need desperate help against Rosalina and Shulk. Usually I'm good against them, but then I faced ArcticWolf and he absolutely trashed me.

Visualize Luma as a baseball. Smack that little twerp into oblivion. Rosalina is combo food after Luma's out of the way. Don't be afraid to hop around, too; Rosalina has trouble starting anything against an airborne opponent, from my experience. F/N-air is your friend.

As for Shulk, it's really just a slow punish game if you want to be safe. Shulk has a lot of end lag, so if he's not using speed, poke your way in after his attacks (the ol' bait and switch). Shulk outspaces everyone like a god; he's incredibly versatile in that respect. I think Lucina has the disadvantage against him simply because he has the ability to shut her out completely with well timed nairs and tilts, especially with speed active.

Last edited:

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
His tilts are not a threat in terms of range. Its his aerials

Random4811

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Random4811
3DS FC
3093-7532-1720
Oh boy oh boy.

Rosilina is a tool compared to Luci/Marth. You can easily K.O. Luma and juggle Rosalina like a tomato. She is helpless when she gets in the air, and she's sort of floaty so, the player will have a hard time coming back from any serious aerial damage by Luci/Marth, and she is susceptible to juggling. Her aerials are trash, so dont expect her to come back for you very hard if you stick mainly to the air. Luci/Marth dominate in the air, so use that to your advantage and take Luma down whenever that little runt comes on stage. Punt her like the ball she is, and move on. Rosilina is no big D, she can just be hard to go after if you dont know how to set her up for failure.

Shulk is a different story. He outspaces Luci marginally, and Marth by a good bit still. Lucina is going to have a much harder time with Shulk than Marth, so take that into consideration if you rematch that Shulk that just kicked your buns. However, as someone else said, his moves have a great deal of ending lag. Sure, he has reach akin to Sephiroth, but just dance around him. After mabye 20 seconds you'll get a good feel for his range, and be able to evade and counter. Just be careful trying to punish him, because he can counter you right back. Get him off the edge, because in my experiance, his recovery isnt the best, and either keep pushing him towards the blast line or try for the risky dair (seriously, watch out for that, because if done wrong you'll both fast fall out of your recovery range and likely miss your window, leading to Shulk either not getting hit, or flying up instead. Based on my experiences, bait him and play it safe. You can afford to play defensively against him, counter his hits when possible, dodge, and go for some choice grabs until you can get him off stage or get a good juggle going. Just watch out for his counter.

MrXilas

Smash Rookie
Anyone have the scoop on fighting Pikachu? My brother plays Pikachu, so if I can kill that yellow rat ******* in an efficient manner, I am super happy.

McAwesome

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
1650-1194-4308
Any tips against Greninja? I had an embarrassing loss to one this morning on For Glory, mostly due to Gren having better priority and racking up the damage with the shurikens.

Alaya

Smash Cadet
Greninja is a pretty versatile all around kind of character. Since he's so fast, all you can really do is read his patterns and try to punish him for making an unsafe attack. Approach him from diagonally if possible since his only way to hit you from that angle is his shadow sneak which is pretty obvious so you can start pulling counters our if he starts using that to stop your approach.

Don't try to counter his dair, it will just bounce him up again out of range. Yesterday I countered a greninja doing dair on me 4 times in a row ... not in the same stock, i mean he bounced up off my counter and tried it again and got countered again 4 times. One of you will just have to do something else since that wont work, but since lucina has the stricter timing on counter it's just not a good position to be in anyway. Shielding bounces him up too and eats your shield, so it's best to just not contest him from below.

He has a good grab and will want to dash grab you with it, if he starts doing that too much without you being stunned smash him with a sideb combo since a smash will be too slow and tilts/jabs won't punish him enough - he so slippery that you really need to take every chance you can to really hurt him when you catch him. If you hit his counter, spam your own counter and you might be able to counter his counter but the timing would be super strict and might not even be possible depending on lag.

If you're on ledge and he's charging shuriken, don't stick around since it will be large enough to hit you on the ledge and it launches decently at high percent, either get up before it finishes, roll through it, or jump over it (into an approach if close enough).

I don't have much else to say about it, this match come down to your ability to hit him hard enough when he messes up and not falling into a pattern that he can exploit out of frustration (such as getting launched and landing into shurikens over and over or something).

Top Bottom