• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Lucina/Marth's counter is too good?

Znatty

Smash Rookie
I find it annoying when I start up a decent combo against Lucian or Marth and all they have to do is mash down B to get out of it. Yes it's punishable if they mistime it but I feel like it's too good of a get out of jail free card.

AreJay25

May or May Not Be Pac-Man
It's not a "get out of jail free card".
Stop being overly aggressive. Hit them a few times and wait for the inevitable counter. Grab/delay a smash attack/literally whatever you want after its startup.

ishaboi

Better than ZeRo
^

This. It's only a get out of jail free card if you're caught spamming

Nixon Corral

Southland Scion
NNID
Nixon_Corral
You always have options against someone who counters. And for what it's worth, a counter is most certainly not a get out of jail free card for a true combo.

But like AreJay25 said, if you're not so aggressive, you can bait out counters and punish them hard. The move is balanced just fine.

Rosalina and Luma

Smash Rookie
Lucina/Marth's counter isn't "too good". It's as good as every character with a counter.

You have to figure out how to get out and easily punish, nobody likes a spammer.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
If someone is Counter-happy, grab him. Also, Counter is useless against unblockable attacks, like Little Mac's Guard Breaker custom special move.

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
I find it annoying when I start up a decent combo against Lucian or Marth and all they have to do is mash down B to get out of it. Yes it's punishable if they mistime it but I feel like it's too good of a get out of jail free card.
You are doing it wrong

NoMarthLeftBehind

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
4098-3979-7704
Grabbing is very important to avoid getting countered at bad moments. Throw them is the air, since countering in the air is harder to do.

Counters aren't OP anyways. They are more punishable than any other move in the game and missing them means, on average, a free 20% on you.

If anything's OP it's grabs themselves...but that's for another conversation.

IrkenPPG

Smash Cadet
The counter is very cheap in smash 4. Its not just Marth and Lucina, its everyone with a counter. You can spam it and its extremely annoying to punish. And to top that the counter is very powerful and can kill easily.

Bullys

Smash Apprentice
NNID
bullys23
Ive mentioned this a few times before.

Its not the fault of the opponent if you cannot deal with their strategy. If its deemed cheap, spammy or unoptimal, that is your issue, not theirs. They might not be the greatest player, but it seems you are the one having the problem with it.

In the case of someone doing something cheap, optimal or spammy, if you are the better player, it is up to you to adapt, react and learn a way around it. A part of becoming a better player is not only to deal with each player trying to play optimally but also be able to work with players doing things that are random, repetitive, or unexpected, and create a road to victory.

Last edited:
Top Bottom