• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Lucas vs. Ness

Hose A

Smash Cadet
I've been having a lot of trouble facing my brother's Ness for some reason. He's not very good, he just sits by and fires off PKT and PKF all day, but I still struggle to beat him. I'm not exactly sure why. Any advice from the all knowing Smash Community?

MTFFFG

Smash Apprentice
Whenever he pkt dash towards him and punish the lag it causes. You can also use your psimagnet to absorb both the pk fire and pkt. If you use the b stick, then pulling out the psi magnet is much faster and you can punish him later because of the his lag. It is not hard to defeat ness especially when he's camping. Who ever heard of ness camping?

Jihnsius

Smash Lord
Ness is more of an up-close character, relying heavily on combos. If he's not doing that, then just do your own camping and outspace him with your PK Fire. He should eventually get bored and try to rush, in which case you should just... keep spacing and wait for a mistake.

EDIT: On second thought, Ness actually has the ability to just camp you out in this matchup. He can absorb all of your superior projectiles and force you to take the offensive, in which case he'll outrange you with his melee attacks. The only thing I can really suggest is try to be very sporadic in your approaches and try to intercept his projectiles while moving in close. Psi Magnet dashing might help a bit to recover damage and get you in close.

Hose A

Smash Cadet
I don't b-stick. I'm too used to using the c-stick for smashes and aerials. I use backwards shorthop PKF for range though. I think my biggest problem is I get bored of camping him before he does. Impatience sucks, but it may be my bane against him. Against a normal Ness who actually uses the A button, I think I might do better, but until I fight one, I won't know.

MTFFFG

Smash Apprentice
ness just isn't as good as lucas imo. Even if you don't b stick then maybe rolling close to him and smashing him with quick c stick combinations will work. if you are impatient then you have only one option left. You have to be very aggressive. When you get the chance just keep hitting him with smashes and aerial attacks. He won't realize what just happened. Sometimes great offense is your best defense.

Jihnsius

Smash Lord
Rolling in will result in you getting grabbed, Ness has a pretty fast grab. His projectiles really aren't that great and are easy to get around if you can foresee them, but once you're inside melee range he still has the upper hand. I'd say just try to mix things up by changing between aggressive and defensive. Perhaps try getting mid-range and then just spam Psi Magnet to absorb all of his projectiles and then run away with some B-Sticked PK Fires to lure him to you.

Levitas

the moon
The Nesses on the Ness boards have been tending to think that Ness is a lucas counter, and while I don't like it, he does have a good advantage over lucas on the ground most of the time. But we have something that they don't: recovery options. Ness sucked in melee due to the fact that everyone and their grandmother could gimp ness. So basically, knock Ness off, eat their double jump w/ a nair or something (from behind, they'll be doing a rising fair), and then either Psi Magnet their PKT, or just attack it (getting hit by it works, too. 8% for a life? sounds good to me)

On the other hand, you won't be seeing many Nesses in tournaments.

Powda

Smash Apprentice
I consider myself a psi magnet abuser, so ness usually runs out of options. I'm surprised the ness boards actually think he is a counter to Lucas...unbelievable. Maybe a medium to hard match but counter? plz...

Like I said psi magnet shuts ness down. Your attacks are longer than his so you can take him. Just don't let him get in close or he'll combo.

GenisSage

Smash Cadet
Yeah Ness is awesome but Lucas is supreme. Ness does have the advantage when up close so Lucas should keep at a good distance. I miss Ness from the Melee days but Lucas make up for it. :)

Top Bottom