• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Lucas True Combo List

SpottedCerberus

Smash Journeyman
There is already thread where people talk about combos, but it seems like more of a disorganized general discussion on Lucas's combo strings. I'd like to talk just about Lucas's true combos. So, here's a list of what I found after some quality time in the lab.

For now, the percents are kind of approximated. Especially on the less important combos, and the zair combos. They were all tested in training mode, against Captain Falcon and Mario, and with no DI. They all register as true combos in training mode.

I've only just started playing Lucas, so I haven't gotten into all of the fancy footstool/jab-lock combo stuff. (I'm just picking him up as a Samus supplement. I don't like the Links or Bounty Hunter Barbie, and Lucas is the only other character with a Zair. Characters feel incomplete without zair.) Still, this should be a good start. Some of this is completely useless, but I find it interesting. (Like the d-tilt combos that would only work in Sudden Death percentage range. Or the ones that are always outclassed by some other option.)

I know that all of these things register as true combos, unless they have a '???' next to them. If there's question marks in place of the percentage numbers then that means I haven't tested it extensively, but I know it works.

I put the most pointless combos in each section at the bottom, with a line break in-between. Those are mostly there for the sake of completeness.

The percent range with 'CF' in front of it is the range that the combo works on Captain Falcon. 'M' is Mario. If there's nothing no letters then the percent is for Captain Falcon, because I haven't tested for Mario yet. For the inconsequential/unimportant combos, I'll just stick with Captain Falcon's percents.

D-tilt:
D-tilt>d-tilt M:72%-209% CF:73%-215% (6%)
D-tilt>d-tilt>d-tilt M:72%-95% CF:73%-124% (9%)
D-tilt>d-tilt>d-tilt>d-tilt M:N/A CF:73%-100% (12%)
D-tilt>d-tilt>d-tilt>d-tilt>d-tilt M:N/A CF:73% (15%) (Only works sometimes, and only at 73%.)
D-tilt>d-tilt>jab combo 73%-155% (14%)
D-tilt>d-tilt>d-tilt>jab combo 73%-100% (17%)
D-tilt>d-tilt>d-tilt>d-tilt>jab combo M:N/A CF:73%-80% (20%) (The fact that this works is awesome.)
D-tilt>u-tilt 103%-180% (12%)
D-tilt>d-tilt>u-tilt 103%-127% (15%)
D-tilt>grab ?-? (Damage dependent on follow-up) (I know this is supposed to be a guaranteed grab at certain percents, but I don't know what percents because it doesn't seem to show on the training mode combo thing.)

D-tilt>jab combo 73%-260% (11%)
D-tilt>f-tilt (weak 7% hit) 180%-? (10%)
D-tilt>f-tilt ~230% (14%)
D-tilt>f-air 230%-445% (12-14%)
D-tilt>u-air 300%-? (16%)
D-tilt>zair 319%-? (7%)
D-tilt>down-b 270%-? (11%)

D-throw:
Lucas's d-throw is crazy generous with its percent range. Maybe DI makes it less so, but still. It's going to be your most important combo starter. (It's also pretty sensitive to rage. Isn't it interesting that rage often makes it harder to make a comeback? What a weird game mechanic....) Unfortunately, it's not always easy to land grabs. That's why the other combos are important. Remember that you have to double jump to land the hit at later percents.

D-throw>u-tilt M:0%-30% CF:0%-72% (14%)
D-throw>n-air M:0%-105% CF:0%-125% (14%)
D-throw>f-air M:0%-140% CF:0%-175% (15%-18%)
D-throw>b-air 0%-175% (15%-18%)
D-throw>u-air M:0%-135% CF:0%-190% (19%)
D-throw>d-air M:0%-113% CF:0%-115% (22% if all hits connect)

D-throw>u-smash (second hit) 0%-35% (25%) (Impossible w/ DI)
D-throw>zair 0%-150% (10%) (Why would you ever do this?)
D-throw>down-b ?-? (14%)

DA:
(DA=Dash Attack) This next section uses the weak hit of the DA, closest to Lucas.

DA (weak)>u-tilt 0%-30% (18%) (The 5% hit of u-tilt can connect until about 35%.)
DA (weak)>f-air 24%-55% (20%)
DA (weak)>u-air 35%-65% (22%)

DA (weak)>jab combo 0%-2% (17%)
DA (weak)>f-tilt (weak 7% hit) 0%-4% (16%)
DA (weak)>f-tilt ~3% (20%)
DA (weak)>zair ?-? (13%)

Zair:
You have to space these pretty well. The idea is to hit them while you're jumping towards them so that you land on the ground while they're still in hitstun, and are next to you, if that makes sense. Credit to @The One because I never would have realized that Zair>down-b or Zair>DA were true combos without his video.

Zair>jab combo 0%-125% (12%)
Zair>f-tilt 0%-140% (11%-15%)
Zair>u-tilt 0%-115% (13%)
Zair>d-tilt 0%-130% (7%)
Zair>d-tilt>d-tilt 75%-? (10%)
Zair>d-tilt>grab ?-? (Damage dependent on follow-up.) ???
Zair>f-smash 36%-160% (19%)
Zair>grab (Is this ever guaranteed? I'm not sure.) ???

Zair>DA ?-? (15%)
Zair>DA (weak) ?-? (13%)
Zair>f-air ?-? (15%) (Way too hard to do, for what it is.)
Zair>down-b ?-? (12%) (Harder and more precise than a simple f-smash.)

N-air (FF/FH):
For this next section, n-air is fast-falled from full-hop height onto a grounded opponent. Because of this, it only deals 2% damage. (You don't hit with the full thing.) So the n-air part is not for extra damage, but just to start the combo. Still have to test most of these percentages. This can also be done by using n-air in a short hop, but I find this to be more predictable.

N-air (FF/FH)>u-tilt 92%-999% (11%)
N-air (FF/FH)>d-tilt 72%-? (5%)
N-air (FF/FH)>d-tilt>d-tilt 73%-? (8%)
N-air (FF/FH)>d-tilt>d-tilt>d-tilt 73%-? (11%)
N-air (FF/FH)>d-tilt>u-tilt 103%-180% (14%)
N-air (FF/FH)>d-tilt>d-tilt>u-tilt 103%-? (17%)
N-air (FF/FH)>d-tilt>jab combo ?-? (13%)
N-air (FF/FH)>d-tilt>d-tilt>jab combo 73%-? (16%)
N-air (FF/FH)>d-tilt>d-tilt>d-tilt>jab combo 73%-? (22%)
N-air (FF/FH)>d-tilt>grab ?-? (Damage dependent on follow-up.) ???

N-air (FF/FH)>jab combo ?-? (10%)

Falling u-air:
Thanks to @ MrWhYYZ MrWhYYZ for telling me about this: falling u-air combos are a thing. We Samus now. Complete with janky hitboxes. (On u-air anyway. You guys seen Ness's u-air? It's ridiculous. Give us some of that.)

Falling u-air>jab combo 4%-37% (19%-21%) (Jab 1 whiffs from 32%-37%, resulting in 19% damage)
Falling u-air>f-tilt 11%-37% (20%-24%) (Weak hit at early percentages, strong hit later.)
Falling u-air>u-tilt M:4%-39% CF:5%-53% (18%-22%) (Strong hit at early percentages, weak hit later.)
Falling u-air>n-air 46%-51% (21%)
Falling u-air>f-air 42%>83% (22%-24%)
Falling u-air>b-air 50%-69% (22%-25%)
Falling u-air>u-air M:30%-67% CF:39%-93% (26%) (Be careful of staling u-air.)
Falling u-air>d-air 43%-69% (28%)

Falling u-air>d-tilt 4%-35% (16%)
Falling u-air>zair 33%-56% (17%)

Falling f-air:
falling f-air>f-tilt 13%-15% (22%)

Falling f-air (weak):
The spacing/timing on these can be a little precise. Especially at higher percents.

Falling f-air (weak)>jab combo 25%-65% (17%)
Falling f-air (weak)>f-tilt 35%-59% (16%-20%)
Falling f-air (weak)>u-tilt 25%-46% (18%)
Falling f-air (weak)>d-tilt 24%-46% (12%)

Falling b-air (weak):
Falling b-air (weak)>f-tilt 24%-60% (16%-20%)

PK Freeze:
PK Freeze>whatever your heart desires

So, what have I missed? I know there must be a lot more.

Last edited:

FreedomTP

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
4811-7470-9645
Dthrow->Usmash doesn't work at all. Usmash by itself counts as two hits in the combo counter.

SpottedCerberus

Smash Journeyman
Dthrow->Usmash doesn't work at all. Usmash by itself counts as two hits in the combo counter.
It seems that the first only hits grounded opponents. So if you u-smash an aerial opponent, who is directly above you, it will register as 1 hit for 19 percent damage. So d-throw>u-smash is a 2 hit combo for 25% damage. 6% from d-throw, and 19% from the second hit of u-smash. I didn't realize this before now. I'll edit in the clarification.

DI really does screw the combo though. It's not that good an option.

Last edited:

SpottedCerberus

Smash Journeyman
Do you know what the percents for these are?
I added them in the OP for Captain Falcon, among other falling u-air combos. I can test them out on Robin (quintessential middle-weight w/ average fall-speed) or Mario too if you want.

Last edited:

JesterJaded

Smash Journeyman
I added them in the OP for Captain Falcon, among other falling u-air combos. I can test them out on Robin (quintessential middle-weight w/ average fall-speed) or Mario too if you want.
Apologies, I wasn't aware you were updating that often lol. Some diversity with separate character-specific percentages would be nice, considering Falcon's fall speed.

More information on D-tilt > grab and Zair > grab would also be helpful, as well as anything that combos into footstool (Nair > footstool, for example).

SpottedCerberus

Smash Journeyman
Apologies, I wasn't aware you were updating that often lol. Some diversity with separate character-specific percentages would be nice, considering Falcon's fall speed.

More information on D-tilt > grab and Zair > grab would also be helpful, as well as anything that combos into footstool (Nair > footstool, for example).
The issue with that is that I can't get those things to register as true combos in training mode. (I haven't actually tried footstool stuff yet. Do footstool>jab-lock combos register?) So I don't know when they're guaranteed. Not sure how I could test that by myself, and I don't have a Wii U so I can't just get someone to hop into training mode with me. Any ideas? How did people figure out that d-tilt could be a grab confirm at mid-percents anyway?

I picked Captain Falcon for basically two reasons 1. He's super popular, and, more importantly 2. I hate that smug, braindead *******. I wasn't really thinking about his fall speed. I'll re-test percents with Robin and Mario and add those. I start college next week, so I'm trying to procrastinate as much as possible so I can avoid getting prepared.

MrWhYYZ

Smash Journeyman
Any ideas? How did people figure out that d-tilt could be a grab confirm at mid-percents anyway?
It's more assuing when looking at frame-data than anything else. (For me at least, I love frame-data)
Throw is 12 frames but the only way to dodge throw is either spotdodge, roll or hit Lucas out of it. All of those options add at least 2 frames plus hardlanding adds between 4 to even 7 frames lag depending on the character. Then add D-tilts hitstun and you can get to 12 frames making throw guaranteed. It's heavily character and percentage dependent but in theory it should be guaranteed.

NerdThomas3

Smash Cadet
NNID
ThomasLee1993
3DS FC
1865-1735-0762
D-throw+N-Air+Jump+N-Air+F-Air*
or
D-Throw+N-Air+Jump+N-Air+U-Air*
or
D-Throw+N-Air+Jump+N-Air+N-Air*

* Depending on the player/character you're fighting against, possibly air dodge and once you land, grab then back-throw or up-throw.

Last edited:

SpottedCerberus

Smash Journeyman
It's more assuing when looking at frame-data than anything else. (For me at least, I love frame-data)
Throw is 12 frames but the only way to dodge throw is either spotdodge, roll or hit Lucas out of it. All of those options add at least 2 frames plus hardlanding adds between 4 to even 7 frames lag depending on the character. Then add D-tilts hitstun and you can get to 12 frames making throw guaranteed. It's heavily character and percentage dependent but in theory it should be guaranteed.
How is hitstun calculated? Is there a way to measure it?

SpottedCerberus

Smash Journeyman
D-throw+N-Air+Jump+N-Air+F-Air*
or
D-Throw+N-Air+Jump+N-Air+U-Air*
or
D-Throw+N-Air+Jump+N-Air+N-Air*

* Depending on the player/character you're fighting against, possibly air dodge and once you land, grab then back-throw or up-throw.
Those N-air combos were the first things I tried. I've never gotten them to register as true combos. Have you tried them in training mode and checked the combo counter? Sometimes it registers things that aren't true combos but, as far as I know, if it doesn't register, then it definitely isn't a true combo.

MrWhYYZ

Smash Journeyman
Those N-air combos were the first things I tried. I've never gotten them to register as true combos. Have you tried them in training mode and checked the combo counter? Sometimes it registers things that aren't true combos but, as far as I know, if it doesn't register, then it definitely isn't a true combo.
This is extremely similar to the whole D-tilt nonsense but Airdodge isn't 1 frame it's at least 2 and for certain characters even more.
N-air, N-air, U-air is 100% guaranteed on Bowser, DK, Jiggs, Ryu, DeDeDe and Ganon because their airdodge activates on Frame 4 meaning you get a additional 3 frames to combo even though the game doesn't tell you that it does.

SpottedCerberus

Smash Journeyman
This is extremely similar to the whole D-tilt nonsense but Airdodge isn't 1 frame it's at least 2 and for certain characters even more.
N-air, N-air, U-air is 100% guaranteed on Bowser, DK, Jiggs, Ryu, DeDeDe and Ganon because their airdodge activates on Frame 4 meaning you get a additional 3 frames to combo even though the game doesn't tell you that it does.
Thanks. I'll read up on frame data. I've always found it interesting, just confusing.

Top Bottom