• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Lucas to Ness: Main Switch

Bromoo_Konpakoo

Smash Rookie
Hey all, I've been playing Lucas ever since 2.6b, and am going to be switching over to Ness to prepare for my new main in Sm4sh because Lucas is dead ;_;. I'm having quite a lot of trouble doing this. Anyone have any tips on how to get used to the playstyle difference? Lucas being more of a tech-chase character, while Ness is... I'm not even sure how he works. I can play him alright, but almost all of my techniques involve PK Fire+Side Smash or Dair. Any and all help is very much appreciated.

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
ness initiates with forward air or aerial pk fire usually

both can lead into grabs which do huge damage

this summarizes my play style in a nutshell

Last edited:

Dragrin

Smash Rookie
One thing you need to know for ness. GRAB GRAB GRAB! his grabs can lead to DJC Fair to grab or DJC up air all day. You can also Dair off a down throw and tech read with PK fire. You will likely use downthrow for all combos except vs spacies where you will up throw. back throw is a kill move at high percents

TMJ_Jack

Smash Journeyman
NNID
TMJ_Jack
So I know this page is old but in light of the recent announcement of Lucas's return to Smash, I like to know whose back throw had more knockback in Brawl: Ness or Lucas? I'm sure the comparison will be similar in For Wii U, so it would be great if you all would help me out.

Curse Hollows

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
0447-8094-2293
I vouge as a ness main in PM that he has a great deal of tech due to a few of his aspects. I was like you I too was victum of using the god tier lucas, but I see ness as a more simple version of lucas.You could easily call lucas fox and ness Falco. Lucas has continuos, super fast multihitboxe moves that require either fast DJC's or super short hops and perfect L canceling and chases to mix up combos and probably a simple finish like a dunk or an up smash. Had ou already mained Luca I would assume that you know about his Pk Shine (his down B) and how its very similar to a shine since you can jump cancel it and start combos off of it Like a shine.

Ness on the other hand Is slower and has single hit box moves. He requires a tad bit more patience and timing, infact a little more mind gameplay due to this. Unlike lucas you cant pull off more than a 3 hit combo and still keep your opponent close enough for a kill move or a spike set up. Ness simply is catch your opponent off gaurd so you can kill them on stage with a back throw, back air, or a forward smash (tipper preffered). When it comes to combos, you may need to mix it up with alot of well timed dash attacks and Pk Fires, and as soon as the apponent is in the air, if they arent behind you set up a few forward airs to rack up damage. Ness has many moves to keep your opponent from getting too close, so I would also advice a spacing game so you dont keep it an upclose and personal game. Ness isnto too squishy but if his moves require space, so short hopping into a nair, downtilt, jab, down smashing or up smashing is a good way to keep distance because those are his faser all around hit boxes that basically say "GET OFF" the move that probably triumphs all is his down B hi Pk shine. His down B is the closest to a shine you can get with out him being a spacie. The only problem is is that its just a frame or 2 slower than fox and falcos shine but its knock back and hit stun are worth it and if thats not enough, the hit box is continuos but after the first box it doesnt make your enemy flinch much so after you pkshine you want to jump cancel. Thats were most of his tech comes in is knowing when to shine. Ive experemented with it alot and ive learned that Nesses shine is unique cause it has a floating mommentum. For instance if you dashed at your enemy into a short hop Pk Shine you would float a short distance with your shine out at the same time still being able to create its rewarding knock back. My favorite tactic with this move is to B reversal it (which is the exact momment you put your input into oyour controller for a B mover (special) like the down be your tilt the control stick in the opposite direction to turn the move around) this will immediatley turn the mommentum you have with the shine around making you float the other direction AFTER hitting your opponent with the shine thus making it THAT much safer, after this you can mix up by jump cancelling into a back air, a PK fire, or wave land to secure saftey.

Thats my short crummy guide for ya

Boiko

:drshrug:
Ness has some of the best and longest combo strings in the game. Not sure what you mean by can't pull off more than a three hit combo into kill move. He most certainly can.

trusty

Smash Apprentice
Going from being a huge Lucas main in Brawl, I found Ness actually easier to pick up than Lucas in spite of Lucas being obviously better than Ness. His movement reminds me of Lucas in Brawl I guess. But still- Ness is fun to use in PM! For the first time!

Top Bottom