• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Lucas' Mixups

SPoitter

Interior Crocodile Aligator
I find Lucas to be first and foremost a mixup character, so I think there should be a thread about all his possible mixups.

• Down Throw to Empty Jump.
  • Z-air to grab.
  • 2 Jabs to grab
  • Anti Air Jab to grab ( If a person is at the ledge and either ledge jumps or lets go and jumps you can jab them, and they have to be careful because they can get airdodge lag, or be D-smashed at the ledge which kills at 70%.)
  • D-throw, predict dodge, f-air.
  • D-air spike to up smash.
  • Predict a landing aerial with an up smash, the first couple frames of the up smash are invincible hitboxes.
I'd appreciate more mixups we can find to make Lucas better.

Last edited:

A Polar Bear

Smash Apprentice
I've found d-throw to u-smash a good mental game mixup. After doing d-throw to n-air or f-air follow ups the entire game, I've had decent success conditioning heavy DI away and an immediate air dodge (sometimes I'll bait it out with an empty short hop) and just track their landing with u-smash.

A Polar Bear

Smash Apprentice
To follow up on this, I find a lot of effective Lucas play comes with exploiting what people expect Lucas to do in certain situations and frame or DI trapping them.

The most successful applications I've had of this include when following up with d-throw at low percents, I only do one n-air follow up, and instead of trying for another n-air or follow up, I wait for an air dodge, and either fast fall land to grab or forward smash as they come down, or follow their descent with Magnet and release the hitbox when I see fit.

This, as well as in the higher percentages near the edge, if I get the grab I sometimes down throw instead of back or forward throw if I'm not completely confident it would kill (100-115% range), as they'd expect me to try to get them off stage. More often than not you'd catch them holding up and/or away from the stage and it makes it a lot easier to read the DI to chase the u-air.

There's a lot of other mindgame shenanigans I apply with varied success, like empty short hop backwards, then Magnet turn to grab as they attempt to shield b-air, or sometimes even as simple as curving the PK Thunder toward the stage when recovering to give a little cover, even though it takes longer and more effort to aim the recovery.

fernby

Smash Rookie
against heavier characters//at low percents d-tilt u-tilt works too

really most moves out of d-throw and d-tilt are good tbh haha

Top Bottom