• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Lucas air-dash with zair?

HyperFlame

Smash Rookie
--THIS TECH HAS BEEN REMOVED AS OF 3.5--

Recently I managed to do some strange mid-air dash with zair while playing friendlies.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uWgUPzKJ57k&t=5s At 6 seconds, I fly forward.

And then I saw this video right afterward, where Oracle does the exact same thing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7SiJwHrAov4&t=8m46s Right at around 8:47, he dashes forward.

So, I've been doing some extensive testing. This kinda works like Zelda's love jump. It's exclusive to Lucas; no one else with a tether can do this, and the other characters able to utilize DJC don't have a tether. This only works out of hitstun (at least from what I can tell). You cannot gain extra vertical height out of this, it doesn't go any further than if you were to just airdodge -> zair normally. But, you do get a huge amount of horizontal momentum, so I guess it'd be useful for quickly getting back to center stage. It works backwards, too, but you'll usually be facing the stage, so it'll probably get you killed.

Video "tutorial": https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C3-wCAKqJoU&hd=1

tl;dr jump out of histun, airdodge either left or right, zair immediately

EDIT: Never mind, did some searching on the forums, apparently this has been coined as a "snake dash". Haven't really seen it been talked about, though. I guess this is useful as a guide, too.

In that case, let's turn this into a discussion thread. When should I be using this? Why don't people use this more often?

Last edited:

Lenis

Smash Rookie
I have exeperimented a little bit with this snake dash since i saw your video. I think it is usefull in order to mixup your recovery, even if you dont use it often your opponent has to atleast think about it while you recover. The more recovery options you have the harder it becomes you edguard you.
An other use can be to escape from potential combos. Thanks to the snake you have a short time with hitboxes infront of Lucas. So if you snake dash backwards while not being too close to the edge it gets harder to follow you and you gain distance.
An example of this can be if someone hits you and then follows up with an attack from above you (Toon links Dair for example). You cant jump to avoid it, but with the snake dash you can escape backwards, while attacking with the snake.

And just to clarify, you can do this as long as you are in that special kind of fall that occurs after being hit by a strong attack. You dont have to jump out of hitstun as soon as possible.

210stuna

Smash Lord
I've seen it used by Pink Fresh in the S@X weeklies to continue combos in the air that a Fair couldn't reach other wise.

I use it the same way, or as a "safe" option on certain stages at the start that have platforms in a triangle like Yoshi's or Battlefield by wavedashing forward and snaking upwards to the top platforms.

I think of it more of a mix up tool, if anything.

Kipcom

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Kipcom
3DS FC
4725-7977-1418
I've seen it used by Pink Fresh in the S@X weeklies to continue combos in the air that a Fair couldn't reach other wise.

I use it the same way, or as a "safe" option on certain stages at the start that have platforms in a triangle like Yoshi's or Battlefield by wavedashing forward and snaking upwards to the top platforms.

I think of it more of a mix up tool, if anything.
You're thinking of a normal air dodge to zair. Look at the videos hyperflame posted

Top Bottom