• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Lucario's playstyle

WheelerFGC

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Ocarinasonwheels
3DS FC
2020-0089-8969
Switch FC
8390-7649-9691
When I use P:M Lucario, I notice that his general "effective" playstyle tends to be very aggressive. When I use him, I get very focused/involved, and even somewhat angry.

Does anyone else notice that Lucario's playstyle tends to work better for aggressive players?

Fortress

Smash Master
That dashing attack, man. I don't know how you could play a defensive, campy Lucario, but I'm sure more than a few people can and have done it to great effect.

WheelerFGC

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Ocarinasonwheels
3DS FC
2020-0089-8969
Switch FC
8390-7649-9691
I use the dash, repeat a few FTilts and then USmash the hell out of the opponent. Then I juggle him in air and kick him/her in the air. I just repeat the process, making alterations that suit the situation. After a while, I just end their misery with a Super Aura sphere.

That sounds very aggressive to me :)

Fortress

Smash Master
My go-to 'combo' with Lucario is really the only one I am familiar with.

Dash Attack > F-Tilt > Forward-B > Dash Attack > U-Tilt > Dair > FFL Nair.

Well, that's one of them, anyway.

Fish&Herbs19

Smash Journeyman
Lucario isn't meant to be played as a pure defensive, campy character but it is very difficult to approach correctly with him and execute good and unpunishable shield pressure. In my opinion, Lucario is supposed to be played as a grounded character, with dash dances for baiting and grabs and dash attacks as punishes. But after that one punish, you can string attacks because of the OHC system and end stocks. The problem with playing aggressive is that Lucario's approaches are predictable and laggy.

Darkgun

Smash Journeyman
This is something I'm going to have to handle when I get to it in the ever impending beginner's guide I'm trying to scrap together for Lucario, so I'll have to address this eventually. Here's what I've got so far...

Primarily, Lucario's playstyle reminds me more of characters like Falcon. Now, I'll admit that I'm kinda borrowin' from Strong Bad here, but I mean to say that they both play a heavily punish-based defensive game. Both Lucario and Falcon are aggressive in that their options in neutral primarily spawn from imposing threat via position and movement, hence the heavy reliance on DD. Another example of somewhat how he is played can be found somewhere in yet another of SB's posts: Ape Academy (Which even if you don't play DK, this is seriously worth the read.), specifically that you are always interacting with your opponent, be it with pressure from spacing, safe pokes (read as: dtlt almost exclusively), combo starters of varying degrees, grab from DD, etc that keeps your opponent from controlling the situation as easily until you can actually land a solid combo. This is, within reason, at least, why Lucario feels like such an aggressive character: he is incredibly engaging to play, and I don't think it is possible to effectively play passively with him.

Want a rather fun specific 0% combo opener? Try SHFFfair>aFP>...plenty of things, character dependent. Looooong stagger/punish game to follow.

WheelerFGC

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Ocarinasonwheels
3DS FC
2020-0089-8969
Switch FC
8390-7649-9691
I pretty much go ape-s*** when I play Lucario, but it normally takes me a match or two to get into the aggressive mode.

WheelerFGC

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Ocarinasonwheels
3DS FC
2020-0089-8969
Switch FC
8390-7649-9691
Lucario isn't meant to be played as a pure defensive, campy character but it is very difficult to approach correctly with him and execute good and unpunishable shield pressure. In my opinion, Lucario is supposed to be played as a grounded character, with dash dances for baiting and grabs and dash attacks as punishes. But after that one punish, you can string attacks because of the OHC system and end stocks. The problem with playing aggressive is that Lucario's approaches are predictable and laggy.
I don't necessarily think that the attacks are laggy, but since I am just starting with P:M (downloaded it last week) I am learning that it is harder to get a good, well timed approach than in Brawl.

Sorry about the double post.

sonicfan7895

Smash Cadet
I normally don't tend to get aggressive when I play as Lucario; but when I do get aggressive, I combo so much, it's not even funny. My best combo is, as of now:

Jab String --> FTilt --> U-Smash --> Jump + Aerial-Side-B+A
Total Damage: 52-55%; potential kill due to Side-B's new Aerial Meteor mechanic.

Szion

Smash Journeyman
Yeah i play really aggressively with lucario. When people are campy i get angry easily, especially when they're trying to crouch cancel all my jabs lol

Top Bottom