• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Lucario's customs, which should be banned from custom-enabled tournaments?

Your Opinion on Lucario's Customs

• Piercing Aura Sphere: Allowed

Votes: 3 30.0%
  • Piercing Aura Sphere: Debatable

Votes: 1 10.0%
  • Piercing Aura Sphere: Banned

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Snaring Aura Sphere: Allowed

Votes: 4 40.0%
  • Snaring Aura Sphere: Debatable

Votes: 2 20.0%
  • Snaring Aura Sphere: Banned

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

TriforceOfAura

Smash Journeyman
I recently ran into one of my friends who told me there would be a local tournament in my area. My first reaction was "All right, time to wreck some scrubs!", but then he told me customs were enabled. Then my reaction was "Wait... what..." So, I need to ask: what customs of Lucario's should be allowed in tournaments that allow them? And which ones shouldn't be? Here are my opinions, feel free to comment on them or offer up your own:

Aura Sphere Variants
Piercing Aura Sphere: Allowed. It can't kill, even in sudden death, so there's not much to worry about here. Pretty much a kill-potential-starved Thoron.
Snaring Aura Sphere: Debatable. Very broken is used expertly, but even on the highest custom-enabled level play I have seen, SAS can't be used to efficiency. It's slow, yet can easily rack up 30-35%'s of damage without his Aura being very high.

Force Palm Variants
Advancing Force Palm: Banned. Despite its flavor text, out of the three Force Palms, it leaves Lucario the least open. It has high damage and kill potential, and the fact that it counts as a grab, going through shields is just the icing on the overpowered cake.
Long-Range Force palm: Allowed. It's really kinda apparent why this should be allowed. It's the same as Force Palm, just a bit longer and weaker. No reason to ban it.

Extreme Speed Variants
Ride the Wind: Debatable. At maximum Aura, this move actually travels just a bit shorter than the full duration of Balloon Trip(Villager's Up+B). However, it's more punishable, as it's slower, and has no attacking frames at the end of the move. Powerful against characters that cant ledgeguard/edgeguard.
Extreme Speed Attack: Allowed. At no Aura, it travels just as far as Rising Uppercut(Little Mac's "Recovery")! It is terrible in terms of recovery, but has a much better use on the battlefield as its charge-up time is substantially less than Extreme Speed and about a third that of Ride the Wind. I see no reason why it should be banned.

Double Team Variants
Stunning Double Team: Banned. For those of you not familiar with this one, think ZSS's D+Smash, but doing damage. At high Aura, allows for easy and cheap follow-up F+Smashes. Arguably the most cheap of all Lucario's moves.
Glancing Counter: Allowed. Not so much of a counter as it resembles Dimensional Cape(Meta Knight's Down+B), as it temporarily renders him invincible before a counterattack. Not as powerful or as ranged as Dimensional Cape, however.

Please comment, and as always, thanks for reading,
TriforceOfAura

TriforceOfAura

Smash Journeyman
Sorry guys, I screwed up the polls on accident. Please ignore them as of now. Thanks.

Last edited:

Masonomace

Yeah Shulk, get stuck in!
NNID
Masonomace
All of Lucario's customs should be allowed imo. None of them come off as a required ban because most of Lucario's custom specials don't come off as a straight upgrade.

I don't know why AFP is said to have KO potential when compared to FP or L-RFP, it doesn't even come close. And I see AFP as two things: a pusedo recovering move & a gap-closing command grab. Meanwhile, SDT having the most poor range out of the 3 counter variants leaves it the least to be desired unless you're playing a character MU that has no projectiles & plays up-close. I will say that getting a SDT read can lead to the L-RFP command grab, which is stupidly powerful & I enjoy it.

Last edited:

Kasai

Smash Journeyman
In doubles the Snaring AS can be realllly dumb when paired with a villager. Pocket one when Lucario is above 100% and it will basically immediately kill someone from his pocket if they're above 20%.

That's only for doubles though, for singles I don't think any of his customs are ban worthy or even really fringe cases. They're all kind of side-grades at best and have niche roles. There also aren't, at least to my knowledge, any easily exploitable strategies you can do that remove depth from the game (At least nothing like Diddy's banana to shield-jump canceled custom upb that afaik true combos and kills at like 90 on mid weights).

Last edited:

Riuvee

Smash Cadet
NNID
RiuAuraeon
3DS FC
4296-3444-5420
From messing around with customs, myself, I don't truly see how either one of them may be banned, debatable at best. However, theeeeey may be pretty ridiculous in Team Smash as Lucario can be a great support ally there.

Snaring AS was my favorite in a few cases, mainly in Solo Modes (CPUs are dumb against it). It may be hard to actually land it on a player, but it does help you own the stage for a moment as they suck in those why try to get by. These things pack a punch but also leaves Lucario open longer than his other Aura Spheres.
Piercing AS makes for a great pressuring / gimping tool, especially in Team Smash. Shielding won't stop it from hitting anyone else who may be in the way. Use it to assist your ally, heck, go nuts. As long as you're safe.

Adv. Force Palm has some really weak launch power, even at high %s. All it can really do is throw off your opponents if they try to close in.
Long Range FP is what it is. This may be annoying to fight against in teams, but the move takes a bit longer to grab, let alone execute than the normal Force Palm.

Ride the Wind
is harmless. Lucario has more reach, but the piloting really takes some getting used to. You're steering Luca as if you're driving a car. Left or Right when you're going vertical while Up or Down when going horizontal.
Extreme Speed Attack is similar to Fire Fox, minus being protected on startup. This and the greatly decreased reach makes Luca even more open to edge guards. On the plus side, it can attack twice and has very small landing lag (Much like how vanilla ES was before it was nerfed...). The beginning of the strike drags the foe to the direction you're going and launches them when it ends. That first hit is the closest thing Lucario can have for a Meteor Smash if you aim it downwards and cancalling the move by bumping into the stage. Either that or a funny angle.

Stunning Double Team really isn't as cheap as you think. Maybe for those blind enough to keep hitting Lucario during it, but it's not as broken / exploited as one of Pikachu's Standard customs or Falcon's Lightning Kick. The attack, itself, does VERY little damage and terrible launch power, so the follow-ups are fair game, at least how I see it - even including footstooling your foe once for more options. Getting hit by it pretty much means you took Lucario too lightly, big mistake....... BUUUUUT in Teams, this move may be up there if Team Attack is on and someone like Fox decides to keep shooting... Yeeeah, I just realised this... Someone needs to try this someday...
Glancing Counter is basically a quick(er) retaliation after a Spotdodge / Sidestep Dodge. Not as powerful as the normal DT. Nothing else to say here.

........Phew... I said a mouthful... I don't really yap this much, but hey. Hope this gives a deeper insight on those moves.

Nysyr

Smash Journeyman
None, because they are all inferior to defaults overall unless countering jank.

They have very few niches where they are midly better against some chars, but they all have problems.

The custom AS are must less consistent with ASC traps.
The custom Up-Bs are exploitable and don't really fix anything.
The custom counters are super niche, only the attacking DT has some decent use vs chars without projectiles.
The custom Side-Bs all lack killpower which Lucario desperately needs.

Riuvee

Smash Cadet
NNID
RiuAuraeon
3DS FC
4296-3444-5420
......Ah shoot... I would've stayed quiet if I had remembered that thread. *slaps self* Pardon me, fellas...

TriforceOfAura

Smash Journeyman
I'll admit, I probably over-glorified SDT a bit. Probably becuase every one of my idiot friends I play against falls for it every. Freaking. Time. SAS can be reflected for devastating results(Fox, anyone?).

Grizzlpaw

Rawr~ ♪
3DS FC
1289-9519-4206
None of Lucario's customs are ban worthy. They don't give him any huge advantages over his defaults, however they can give him niche advantages depending on the MU.

SAS can be usefull for controlling space and slowing down rush down characters without a reflector.

AFP seems like it might be usefull against the PK kids. The laser can be absorbed, however the stregnth of this FP custom is the command grab.

PAS is usefull against fox. The aura spheres aren't a huge threat if reflected, and can be useful for forcing out options from the fox player.

LRFP feels like more of a playstyle preference than anything. Can aid in camping.

I forget what his counters are called, but the one where he briefly stuns his foe can be good agaisnt characters who are often in your face, but lack a projectile. Falcon and MK immediatly come to mind.

Top Bottom